• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013 rumours

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
**** them French mountains and just rush up the Grappa choosing the Bocca di Forca route! COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNN FFS!!!

alpini.gif

EDIT: the complete route...

Magnus said:
You might be right about Mortirolo and Zoncolan. But in my experience Stelvio and Galibier is pretty much equally tough.

Im assuming youve ridden both in which case congrats, and you offer a perspective on the comparison which i cannot challenge.

Still, something has to be said for the fact that Stelvio Prato, is longer, steeper and at a higher altitude than Galibier.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Im assuming youve ridden both in which case congrats, and you offer a perspective on the comparison which i cannot challenge.

Still, something has to be said for the fact that Stelvio Prato, is longer, steeper and at a higher altitude than Galibier.

I'm talking about Galibier from St Michel de Maurienne, which is longer and has more vertical gain than Stelvio from Prato.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
But it would be a totally flat stage before, while trying to organize a MTF on Prato Stelvio, I think?

airstream said:
But it would be a totally flat stage before, while trying to organize a MTF on Prato Stelvio, I think?
Why you say that. There are a few climbs that could be put before the Stelvio. None of them would bring the riders directly to the foot of the Stelvio, but it's not like Galibier is any different.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

i have ridden both, more than once.
both are wonderful climbs , very challenging,very, very hard.
imho,still stelvio is harder.
it is longer , with no rest (in galibier after col du telegraphe you have a rest)and it goes at a higher altitude.

airstream said:

Start in Tirano, up the Valposchiavo -> Forcola di Livigno -> Eira/Foscagno -> Bormio -> Umbrail (which is basically Stelvio from the west, minus the last 3 km) -> Val Müstair -> Prato -> Stelvio.
158 km, five climbs to above 2000 m. Yes, the top of Umbrail is at km 100, while the Stelvio doesn't start until km 140, but that's about the best I can do.

If necessary, you can start in Bormio and add Mortirolo & Aprica to the route I proposed above: 245 km of mountain madness!

There are many climbs in France and Italy that are harder than the Galibier or Stelvio (or Mortirolo for that matter). They are just never used. In Italy you can climb rifugio altissimo from torbole (17km at 10,5% or something), descend into mori and you can climb monte stivo straight after (15km at 11% i think). It's just that on those climbs the road isn't in good condition, or it's not even asphalt.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Fus087 said:
Start in Tirano, up the Valposchiavo -> Forcola di Livigno -> Eira/Foscagno -> Bormio -> Umbrail (which is basically Stelvio from the west, minus the last 3 km) -> Val Müstair -> Prato -> Stelvio.
158 km, five climbs to above 2000 m. Yes, the top of Umbrail is at km 100, while the Stelvio doesn't start until km 140, but that's about the best I can do.

!

Thanks, very interesting variant. Probably one day they will venture on this. If it comes to Sestrieres and Montgenèvre, it would be a better idea to turn down visit in France. I'd like to see Galibier but Roundabout's option is very good too.

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Ouch, Isn't the Umbrail descent sterrato?

But still, manu options for an interesting run-up. What about thin one: Bolzano, Mendellpass, Clozner Joch, Vinschgauer Höhenstrasse, Passo dello Stelvio?

MendolaE.gif

ClozS.gif

VinschgauerHohenstrasseE.gif

StelvioE.gif

Re: Galibier
It seems that the town involved in the project is Valloire. So, if they really are going there, it will be from north, thank God.

Re: Dolomites
Tre Cime di Lavaredo are rumoured... just like every year, so it's not very reliable.

Re: Alps
Gavia seems certain (but it's still early to be really sure of something). It seems also sure a stage ending somewhere near or on the Zoncolan. Then there's the Austrian stage thing. No one mentions it anymore, so who knows. Same for Val Senales.

Re: Appennines
Only rumoured stage is a finish in Montecopiolo after the mythical Carpegna :)

Re: Others
Florence, Vicenza (ITT), Parma or surroundings are basically confirmed. There'll be a medium mountain stage ending in Erto E Cassio just before the Zonc stage. In the south, no Sicily it seems. The route will just turn counter-clockwise after it reaches Calabria. It's still not known HOW the Giro will start. (TTT? ITT? Road?) In Naples or Ischia?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
It seems that the town involved in the project is Valloire. So, if they really are going there, it will be from north, thank God.
like I said, with Mont Cenis and Telegraphe (at least).
Or with Cenis, Iseran and Madeleine (a beast)

Eshnar said:

Re: Dolomites
Tre Cime di Lavaredo are rumoured... just like every year, so it's not very reliable.

Re: Alps
Gavia seems certain (but it's still early to be really sure of something). It seems also sure a stage ending somewhere near or on the Zoncolan. Then there's the Austrian stage thing. No one mentions it anymore, so who knows. Same for Val Senales.

Re: Appennines
Only rumoured stage is a finish in Montecopiolo after the mythical Carpegna :)

Re: Others
Florence, Vicenza (ITT), Parma or surroundings are basically confirmed. There'll be a medium mountain stage ending in Erto E Cassio just before the Zonc stage. In the south, no Sicily it seems. The route will just turn counter-clockwise after it reaches Calabria. It's still not known HOW the Giro will start. (TTT? ITT? Road?) In Naples or Ischia?

Ischia is an island right? What about a tricyle prologue to the main land:cool:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh, hopefullly it won't be a stage with a finish in Valloire! How might a potential stage look? Cenis, Telegraph and finish on Col du Galibier? Hm, I strongly doubt they can allow Galibier to become the Cimma Coppi. On the other hand, why not, Coppi registered himself there in 1952.

The Hitch said:
Im a big zonc fan but i think they need to wait 1 more year at least, preferably 2.

Also isn't zoncolan in the dolomites? I thought the hard stuff in the east was dolomites and sestrieres and that in the west was just the western alpes.
not at all, Dolomites are a very defined and narrow set of mountains.
800px-Dolomiti.png