• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013 rumours

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eshnar said:
not at all, Dolomites are a very defined and narrow set of mountains.
800px-Dolomiti.png

Right but how many of the major giro climbs are actually in the dolomites. Because commentators here at least will always use dolomites and mountains interchangibly, saying the 3rd week is in the dolomites, or i remember the giro being called the race of the dolomites.

This year only 17 was in the dolomites right?

Eshnar said:
Re: Galibier

Re: Alps
Gavia seems certain (but it's still early to be really sure of something). It seems also sure a stage ending somewhere near or on the Zoncolan. Then there's the Austrian stage thing. No one mentions it anymore, so who knows. Same for Val Senales.

Would love it if the giro finally went to the rettenbachferner. Libertine can tell more about the climb than i can but from a quick search, it has comparable stats to the mortirolo, only takes place 1000m higher up :eek:

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Right but how many of the major giro climbs are actually in the dolomites. Because commentators here at least will always use dolomites and mountains interchangibly, saying the 3rd week is in the dolomites, or i remember the giro being called the race of the dolomites.

Main dolomite passes are:
Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Campolongo, Gardena, Sella, San Pellegrino, Rolle, Valparola, Duran, Falzarego, Forcella Staulanza, Furcia ( i think this are the most important, but i might have forgetten some), plus as final climb Tre cime di Lavaredo and Rifugio Gardeccia.
This year only the stage to Cortina was strictly speaking a dolomites stage.
At most the Pampeago stage can be considered as one, since Pampeago is actually below the Latemar, which is a dolomite mountain.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
Would love it if the giro finally went to the rettenbachferner. Libertine can tell more about the climb than i can but from a quick search, it has comparable stats to the mortirolo, only takes place 1000m higher up :eek:

Rettenbachferner-Solden_profile.jpg

Complete carnage at high altitude, 12.11 km at 10.7% average which rises to 2675 meters, 30 meters higher than the Galibier.

Images of the Rettenbachferner:
rettenbachferner.jpg

rettenbachferner.jpg

Im not libertine but couldnt resist posting :p

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Equally as cool as the Rettenbachferner is the fact that getting there from Italy would mean climbing the colossal Passo del Rombo (taken from the excellent CyclingCols.com).

RomboE.gif

will10 said:
Rettenbachferner in May seems unlikely IMO?

A finish at 2757m for the Stelvio is OK, but the Rettenbachferner wouldn't be?

Eshnar said:
Re: Others
Florence, Vicenza (ITT), Parma or surroundings are basically confirmed. There'll be a medium mountain stage ending in Erto E Cassio just before the Zonc stage. In the south, no Sicily it seems. The route will just turn counter-clockwise after it reaches Calabria. It's still not known HOW the Giro will start. (TTT? ITT? Road?) In Naples or Ischia?

Regarding that stage, it will be dedicated to the infamous Vajont disaster.
Before going up to Erto/Casso, they will also climb Nevegal from Castion, and go down on the Quantin side.
Could be nice for attackers, yet I fear there will be too many flat kms between Erto/Casso and Nevegal (not to mention Nevegal isn't exactly steep).

The Hitch said:

Also stage 19, since Lavazè and Pampeago are definitely Dolomites, plus Manghen has a Dolomitic side (the one they descended).

Pippo_San said:
Regarding that stage, it will be dedicated to the infamous Vajont disaster.
Before going up to Erto/Casso, they will also climb Nevegal from Castion, and go down on the Quantin side.
Could be nice for attackers, yet I fear there will be too many flat kms between Erto/Casso and Nevegal (not to mention Nevegal isn't exactly steep).
Yes, they'll do Nevegal but it will be a factor only for the breakaway I'm afraid.
The stage could be interesting only for the little climb near the finish, starting from Longarone.

Peccio89 said:
Main dolomite passes are:
Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Campolongo, Gardena, Sella, San Pellegrino, Rolle, Valparola, Duran, Falzarego, Forcella Staulanza, Furcia ( i think this are the most important, but i might have forgetten some), plus as final climb Tre cime di Lavaredo and Rifugio Gardeccia.
You only forgot Passo Delle Erbe :)

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Re: Galibier
It seems that the town involved in the project is Valloire. So, if they really are going there, it will be from north, thank God.

Why will it have to be from the north?

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
McLovin said:
because is the hard side and here only this counts. we forgot that the 4% galibier made more gap between riders than almost all giro.

I think you misunderstood my question. I meant to ask why the conjecture that Valloire is involved in the project implies that they will have to do the Galibier from the north.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
If the finish is at the summit then Valloire being involved would suggest that the race would pass through there.

I imagine that had it been from the other side Serre Chevalier would have been mentioned.
But do we know that the finish is at the summit?

McLovin said:
because is the hard side and here only this counts. we forgot that the 4% galibier made more gap between riders than almost all giro.

no.

Classement 18e étape du Tour 2011

1. SCHLECK Andy 11 TEAM LEOPARD-TREK 6h 07′ 56″
2. SCHLECK Frank 18 TEAM LEOPARD-TREK 6h 10′ 03″ + 02′ 07″
3. EVANS Cadel 141 BMC RACING TEAM 6h 10′ 11″ + 02′ 15″
4. BASSO Ivan 91 LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE 6h 10′ 14″ + 02′ 18″
5. VOECKLER Thomas 181 TEAM EUROPCAR 6h 10′ 17″ + 02′ 21″
6. ROLLAND Pierre 188 TEAM EUROPCAR 6h 10′ 23″ + 02′ 27″
7. CUNEGO Damiano 161 LAMPRE – ISD 6h 10′ 29″ + 02′ 33″
8. TAARAMAE Rein 151 COFIDIS LE CREDIT EN LIGNE 6h 11′ 18″ + 03′ 22″
9. DANIELSON Tom 52 TEAM GARMIN – CERVELO 6h 11′ 21″ + 03′ 25″
10. HESJEDAL Ryder 55 TEAM GARMIN – CERVELO 6h 11′ 27″ + 03′ 31″

TREVISO-ALPE DI PAMPEAGO, 198 KM (Worst raced ever Giro high mountain stage)

1. Roman KREUZIGER (Cze, Astana) in 6h18'03”
2. Ryder HESJEDAL (Can, Garmin-Barracuda) a 19”
3. Joaquin RODRIGUEZ (Spa, Katusha) a 32”
4. Michele SCARPONI (Ita, Lampre-Isd) a 35”
5. Domenico POZZOVIVO (Ita, Colnago-Csf) a 43”
6. Ivan BASSO (Ita, Liquigas-Cannondale) a 55”
7. Rigoberto URAN URAN (Col, Sky) a 57”
8. Mikel NIEVE ITURALDE (Spa, Euskaltel-Euskadi) a 1'18”
9. Stefano PIRAZZI (Ita, Colnago-Csf) a 1'22”
10. John GADRET (Fra, Ag2R-La Mondiale) a s.t.

Just take out Andy, who did attack before Galibier, you have roughly the same gaps.

And btw
GalibierE.gif

I saw absolutely no one attacking on 4%. (I saw no one attacking at all, before the last km)