• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Giro 2017, stage 7: Castrovillari - Alberobello 224 KM

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

pink_jersey said:
Embarassing finish with that corner with 100m to go...Why would you do that?

Completely agree

Valv.Piti said:
Brullnux said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gaviria is obviously the best and fastest sprinter at this point, but was boxed in. No luck. Hopefully he will win the remaining 2 stages.
Evan started his sprint a bit early though
On this finish it seemed to be the right thing to do. I doubt any of Ewan, Bennett and Greipel could have held Gaviria if he did that.

Whilst I fully agree Gaviria was clearly the fastest coming to the line; the incredibly short finish straight and being temp impeded by Greipel were the difference. Then again he's been able to take full advantage of the breaks that have gone his way.
 
I think the problem of this giro so far is that the two most promising stages in the first week (stage 2 and stage 4) were absolutely horrible. The rest was actually not that bad. I think Pöstlbergers win was a pretty cool way to start a gt, the crosswind split on stage 3 was also better than the average flat gt stage, Piberniks epic solo made stage 5 memorable as well, and stage 6 was a win for the break, which is exactly what I would have expected for that stage. Now imagine stage 2 and 4 were good and you have above-average entertaining first 7 stages.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
2
0
Visit site
I have a feeling that blockhaus will not deliver what we are expecting... this first week has potential to be the worst first week i ever seen in my life...
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Horrible of Sky to prevent Koren doing a Postlberger,

Yet again, teams protecting a third tier GC rider are destroying the race as a spectacle.
Oh dear the shame of keeping your riders safe, the sheer check from Sky is unreal, good chance they will break the internet with these out of the world tactics :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
2
0
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
I think the problem of this giro so far is that the two most promising stages in the first week (stage 2 and stage 4) were absolutely horrible. The rest was actually not that bad. I think Pöstlbergers win was a pretty cool way to start a gt, the crosswind split on stage 3 was also better than the average flat gt stage, Piberniks epic solo made stage 5 memorable as well, and stage 6 was a win for the break, which is exactly what I would have expected for that stage. Now imagine stage 2 and 4 were good and you have above-average entertaining first 7 stages.
You must be kidding mate... I saw now that you are giggs, you are accustomized in seeing horrible stages that when you see a average/bad stage is almost a memorable stage... you should turn off the tv for the next couple weeks, we all know that when you aren't seeing, the stage has everything to be epic
 
portugal11 said:
Gigs_98 said:
I think the problem of this giro so far is that the two most promising stages in the first week (stage 2 and stage 4) were absolutely horrible. The rest was actually not that bad. I think Pöstlbergers win was a pretty cool way to start a gt, the crosswind split on stage 3 was also better than the average flat gt stage, Piberniks epic solo made stage 5 memorable as well, and stage 6 was a win for the break, which is exactly what I would have expected for that stage. Now imagine stage 2 and 4 were good and you have above-average entertaining first 7 stages.
You must be kidding mate... I saw now that you are giggs, you are accustomized in seeing horrible stages that when you see a average/bad stage is almost a memorable stage... you should turn off the tv for the next couple weeks, we all know that when you aren't seeing, the stage has everything to be epic
Lol.... :D
 
Re: Re:

rick james said:
DFA123 said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Horrible of Sky to prevent Koren doing a Postlberger,

Yet again, teams protecting a third tier GC rider are destroying the race as a spectacle.
Oh dear the shame of keeping your riders safe, the sheer check from Sky is unreal, good chance they will break the internet with these out of the world tactics :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:
Think you've got confused between what is entertaining and what is sensible riding. But of course, I mentioned Sky in the same sentence as a general criticism; so in the finest Pavolvian tradition you had to leap to their defence.

Obviously it makes sense for Sky to bring their riders to the front on a technical finish. But in doing so they nullified the late attack, despite having no interest in winning the stage themselves (they left their sprinter behind to bring another domestique instead). That is not entertaining to watch.

And when you have more teams interested in doing what Sky did today, than in trying to win or create GC splits, then you get the terrible race we've had so far.
 
For as far as I can remember, there are mabye 3 stages per GT that are worth watching from beginning (of coverage) to end. For christ's sake, there are stage profiles available everywhere on the internet, there are livetickers, look at them and tune in when it gets interesting if just looking at the Peloton is too boring.
 
7*
images
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Horrible of Sky to prevent Koren doing a Postlberger,

Yet again, teams protecting a third tier GC rider are destroying the race as a spectacle.

Landa is not third rate ;)

Seriously, I did think, why the hell are Sky pulling here. As someone said, there are no top class puncheurs, not even a handful of top class sprinters and 15 guys riding for the podium. It makes the racing unbalanced.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the stage (i.e. the 3 minute potted highlights).
Positioning and acceleration against sheer power on a technical finish with no major incidents, with Ewan just winning and Gaviria only defeating Bennett by a hair's breadth. What's not to like?
 
Re:

When everything opened up, Greipel was really slow. He let a big gap grow to the riders ahead of him, his sprint was so slow. I don't think it was positioning.

Geraint Too Fast said:
Honestly, some of you are whinging way too much about this race.

Why are you even here if think people shouldn't be giving their opinions about a bike race? I disagree with some of the complaints about it being boring but I'm not going to be obnoxious about it. I don't know why every single race thread someone feels the need to communicate much more rudely than they would (I hope) in real life.
 

Latest posts