• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Nirvana said:
I read in the italian forum that the three stages in Sicily could be cancelled based on the outcome of the tomorrow elections because it's likely a change in the regional government.

I don't know where you read it, but I can assure you that's total BS.
As it is the fact that they have set the presentation at the end of Nov because of the election in Sicily.

Re: Re:

huge said:
Nirvana said:
I read in the italian forum that the three stages in Sicily could be cancelled based on the outcome of the tomorrow elections because it's likely a change in the regional government.

As it is the fact that they have set the presentation at the end of Nov because of the election in Sicily.
If you want to read it's here.

Regarding the offer to Sky it's not an unseen for RCS, in 2009 they paid Armstrong 2 million only to use the Giro as training ride in order to prepare the Tour.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Robert5091 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/merckx-froome-must-come-to-the-2018-giro-ditalia/

“By now you know everything because it seems there’s a competition among the newspapers to publish the route ahead of time, but we still have to reveal something important regarding the participants,” Vegni said. “And there will be surprises…”
:surprised:
i'm hoping that vegni is talking about positive surprises... zoncolan and crostis would be my dream scenario (not gonna happen though)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
According to La Gazzetta the Zoncolan stge will feature Monte di Ragogna, Avaglio, Passo Duron/Forcella di Lius and Sella Valcalda before the final climb.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
According to La Gazzetta the Zoncolan stge will feature Monte di Ragogna, Avaglio, Passo Duron/Forcella di Lius and Sella Valcalda before the final climb.
Can anybody replicate this on here?

5 climbs on the day finishing on the Zoncolan. That sounds mighty hard! Even with a fight of attrition will mark probably big differences.

DPkA2BNXcAMh-fN.jpg:small

Credits to Lasterketa Burua.

Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
huge said:
Nirvana said:

If you want to read it's here.

Regarding the offer to Sky it's not an unseen for RCS, in 2009 they paid Armstrong 2 million only to use the Giro as training ride in order to prepare the Tour.
Armstrong originally planned to win the Giro which might've been possible in his summer shape. It wasn't until Lance's crash in Spain that Leipheimer who had peaked a little earlier for California became the Astana team leader and no.1 favorite for the Giro!

Not many news recently. The route is pretty much the same as the one rumoured one month ago.

1 Jerusalem ITT
2 Haifa - Tel Aviv
3 Be'er Sheva - Eilat

4 Catania-Caltagirone
5 Agrigento-Santa Ninfa(Valle del Belice)
6 Caltanissetta-Etna(Osservatorio Astrofisico)
7 Pizzo Calabro - Scalea (with some hill but probably for sprinters)
8 Praia a Mare - Montevergine (MTF)
9 Pesco Sannita - Campo Imperatore (MTF)

10 Penne - Gualdo Tadino (very long, probably for breakaway)
11 Assisi - Osimo (could be full of little walls)
12 Filottrano or Osimo - Imola (hilly)
13 Ferrara - Nervesa della Battaglia (tricky finale, but for sprinters)
14 S.Vito al Tagliamento - Zoncolan (MTF)
15 Tolmezzo - Sappada (a few decent climbs with final easy drag... let's hope for the best)

16 Trento - Rovereto ITT (flat in the valley, ~33 km)
17 Arco - Monza (sprint)
18 Milano - Prato Nevoso (MTF)
19 Venaria - Monte Jafferau (Lys(?), Finestre, Sestriere)
20 Susa - Cervinia (Lys(?), Tze Core, St.Pantaleon)
21 ??? - Roma (parade)

looks like stage 17 will finish in Iseo, instead of Monza (for which the rumours were very old in the first place)
Nothing changes, still for sprinters.

1 Jerusalem ITT
2 Haifa - Tel Aviv
3 Be'er Sheva - Eilat

4 Catania-Caltagirone
5 Agrigento-Santa Ninfa(Valle del Belice)
6 Caltanissetta-Etna(Osservatorio Astrofisico)
7 Pizzo Calabro - Scalea (with some hill but probably for sprinters)
8 Praia a Mare - Montevergine (MTF)
9 Pesco Sannita - Campo Imperatore (MTF)

10 Penne - Gualdo Tadino (very long, probably for breakaway)
11 Assisi - Osimo (could be full of little walls)
12 Osimo - Imola (hilly)
13 Ferrara - Nervesa della Battaglia (tricky finale, but for sprinters)
14 S.Vito al Tagliamento - Zoncolan (MTF)
15 Tolmezzo - Sappada (a few decent climbs with final easy drag... let's hope for the best)

16 Trento - Rovereto ITT (flat in the valley, ~33 km)
17 Arco - Iseo (sprint)
18 Milano - Prato Nevoso (MTF)
19 Venaria - Monte Jafferau (Lys(?), Finestre, Sestriere)
20 Susa - Cervinia (Lys(?), Tze Core, St.Pantaleon)
21 ??? - Roma (parade)

TRENDING THREADS