• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I like the new finish of stage 4. The old one was a pretty straight up bunch sprint with maybe a few people dropped but this forces GC men to be on point. Profile of the final hill is very similar to the 12th stage of 2015 where there some differences in GC but that may also have had to do with the pouring rain and it being the 2nd week.

I'm also interested in the profiles of the finishes of stage 5 and 11, cause they look somewhat similar but with these finishes there's a fine line with how hard they need to be to matter at all.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I like the new finish of stage 4. The old one was a pretty straight up bunch sprint with maybe a few people dropped but this forces GC men to be on point. Profile of the final hill is very similar to the 12th stage of 2015 where there some differences in GC but that may also have had to do with the pouring rain and it being the 2nd week.

I'm also interested in the profiles of the finishes of stage 5 and 11, cause they look somewhat similar but with these finishes there's a fine line with how hard they need to be to matter at all.
Stage 5:
G18_T05_SantaNinfa_ukm_jpg.jpg

Enough for attackers, not enough for gc. After some hilly terrain, though, it could prevent a sprint.

Stage 11:
Hard to tell what road they're taking up to Osimo but the gradients could be above 10%, on narrow roads.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Red Rick said:

Stage 5:
G18_T05_SantaNinfa_ukm_jpg.jpg

Enough for attackers, not enough for gc. After some hilly terrain, though, it could prevent a sprint.

Stage 11:
Hard to tell what road they're taking up to Osimo but the gradients could be above 10%, on narrow roads.
Stage 5 makes me think of the Tropea finish of 2011 or a more technical version of the AGR finish of '13-'16

Re:

Eshnar said:
The route is not $hite... it's quite bad but better than others, even in recent times.

Hoping montevergine is indeed climbed from the other side btw, that would be great... but i can't see it happening
There are a number of alternative sides and all of them meet at a place i think is called Monte Acerone, but as far as i checked out all of the roads are in quite bad shape (potholes, broken surface etc.). I guess if Montevergine will drop they may decide to change the finish for Avellino. There are some nice muritos around and in the city but i guess they'll decide to go as flat as possible.

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Re:

Eshnar said:
The route is not $hite... it's quite bad but better than others, even in recent times.

Hoping montevergine is indeed climbed from the other side btw, that would be great... but i can't see it happening
I mean even if the route is $hite, i will still watch it..not saying it is $shite this year...even in a $hite year i enjoyed it and will continue to watch it ....even if all the stages are like this __________________ :lol:

They are pretty fast in uploading this year, they have already uploaded the first 12 stages.

Stage 5 finish and map, there are two sharp turns in the last 300 meters.

G18_T05_SantaNinfa_ukm_zoom.jpg

G18_T05_SantaNinfa_ARR_jpg.jpg

The climb of the Osservatorio Astrofisico on the Etna in stage six.

G18_T06_S01_Etna_alt_zoom.jpg

The long climb to Campo Imperatore, very long but the hard part is only the finale, not great for the racing, we won't see anything until the last 3/4 kilometers.

G18_T09_S01_Calascio_alt_jpg.jpg

G18_T09_S02_CImperatore_alt_jpg.jpg

The climb of Rigopiano just at the beginning of stage 10, i wonder if something can happen with such a start but in an easy and long stage.

G18_T10_S01_FonteCreta_alt_jpg.jpg

And the finish of stage 11, a Tirreno like finish, there is also the Muro di Filottrano with 30 kms to go but should have been more closer to be interesting.

G18_T11_Osimo_ukm_zoom.jpg

TRENDING THREADS