• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2019 Field Discussion/Speculation

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
Red Rick said:
Eshnar said:
Apparently G.Thomas is still undecided, and has not ruled out racing both Giro and Tour. We'll see.
Also, the Wild Cards will be announced next week.
Sky probably told him he will not be co leader in the Tour and if he can't deal with that he can piss of to Italy
likely. I hope he doesn't mess with Bernal's chances though.
Mmmmm back the recent tour winner or a 22 year old who done one grand tour.....know who I’d take for the win

rick james said:
Red Rick said:
Eshnar said:
Apparently G.Thomas is still undecided, and has not ruled out racing both Giro and Tour. We'll see.
Sky probably told him he will not be co leader in the Tour and if he can't deal with that he can piss of to Italy
Such a way with words when making up stories

If he could be co leader he'd take it. 100%.

Red Rick said:
rick james said:
Red Rick said:
Eshnar said:
Such a way with words when making up stories

If he could be co leader he'd take it. 100%.

Of course he can be a co-leader.

Re:

Red Rick said:
You mean 50/50? Nah I don't believe that

Why not?

Why would they prefer Froome, the far less popular rider?

Of course there's the five wins "record" (though, I spent my childhood watching some guy winning it seven times - apparently everybody has forgotten that) but is that better than having Thomas repeat when he is so much more able to cater to the public and is far more of a hero in the eyes of the British (this is at least how I understand it to be - but given that I'm not British, I don't have first-line seats to assess that)?

Of course this Giro thing could be interpreted like you say. But it's definitely not a fact.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Froome has won 6 of them GTs

Thomas has a single top 14
Doesnt really work like that tho, its the first time we really have seen what he is capable of if everything goes well. If you follow cycling (I know you do), Thomas has shown that kind of potential on many occasions (admittedly most didnt expect him to climb THAT well), the ability to climb with the best and we all know what great allrounder he is. The question on him has always been recovery/bad luck alá Porte.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Doesnt really work like that tho, its the first time we really have seen what he is capable of if everything goes well. If you follow cycling (I know you do), Thomas has shown that kind of potential on many occasions (admittedly most didnt expect him to climb THAT well), the ability to climb with the best and we all know what great allrounder he is. The question on him has always been recovery/bad luck alá Porte.
GT winning potential he's shown exactly once, in the Tour he won. Not even the results in shorter stage races suggested he could win one.

Froome, when he doesn't ride the Giro, is the safer bet by a huge margin.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

GT winning potential he's shown exactly once, in the Tour he won. Not even the results in shorter stage races suggested he could win one.

Ok, so I guess I'm still insane for predicting Thomas would win the Tour last year...

And of course my own comment was pure trolling but you can't neglect the recent Tour winner just like that.

He needs to get back to the life of a pro, though. There is a bit of a risk that he's doing a Wiggins.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

At this stage of his career I don't see Froome winning anything by a huge margin except maybe a TT if Dennis and Dumoulin are not around. How motivated Thomas is to double up or even if he gets the opportunity is another matter......the fact that Thomas re-signed with Sky indicates he is either happy to play second fiddle again or he has been promised opportunities based on his Tour win not to mention his salary increase. Will have to wait and see how the races play out to see which it is. The ideal situation for Thomas is a repeat of last year with Froome dropping early time, how likely that is remains to be seen but bad luck can strike any time and if Thomas is in a position like last year it could be interesting.

I think it's Froome's last chance to win the elusive fifth Tour so the pressure may be on a little more even though Froome usually copes well with that. Of course Thomas has to first return in 2018 Tour form to have any hope. If Thomas is close to Froome on GC I expect he will follow team orders and Froome is not the type to crack when a win is within reach. The cowboy days of open revolts within teams seems to be over but they sometimes made for great viewing.

Koronin said:
rick james said:
its not a contest to see who's more popular

Except that Thomas is better PR for the team and likely better PR in securing a new sponsor.

This is correct. Froome is not quite the invincible rider he was, although that is probably down to aiming for 4 GT wins in a row. Thomas was absolutely invincible in the last TdF and could have won more stages (was way up in the final TT before easing off to secure the win). 50/50 leadership would be correct.

Either way.

If Froome or Thomas is just able to follow Kwiat, Poels, Sosa, Bernal, Castroviejo, Kiryienka, De La Cruz, Moscon, Geoghegan Hart, Dunbar, Rosa, Elissonde or whoever is deployed in the train and they will be good.

Win the TTT comfortably. Stay away from crashes and mechanicals. Then ride a solid ITT. And then theres no way you can beat them. Unless they somehow show up and just are very poor, which is the least likely scenario.

My god I hate this team lol

TRENDING THREADS