• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2019 Field Discussion/Speculation

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I genuinly think Bernal has a bigger chance of winning the giro than Thomas. The whole situation just smells a lot like 2013 Wiggins and we all know how that turned out. And even if Thomas is at the top of his game, I'd say there is a good chance he will simply be outclimbed by Bernal.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Have a really hard time seeing Thomas beat Dumoulin when they're equally fresh and when there's no TTT.

Bernal is just a question mark cause I have no idea what his level last year was worth in a GT and how much he'll improve.
Yeah, but that's exactly the point. How is Thomas gonna beat Dumoulin, cause I don't think there is anything Thomas is actually better at. With Bernal there is the uncertainty if he keeps improving like he did over the last two years, but if he does it's quite simple to see how he can beat Dumoulin, which is by simply dropping him uphill.

Re:

Nirvana said:
Thomas is faster than most of climbers, I remember when he was young sometimes he took part also in some mass sprints especially at Tour of Britain but also in some Tour stages, probably he has lost some speed but if he wants I think he could also grab bonus seconds by sprinting in some hilly stages.

This, plus Cav has stated multiple times Thomas's wheel is one of the ones he prefers to follow for sprints.

Re:

Nirvana said:
Thomas is faster than most of climbers, I remember when he was young sometimes he took part also in some mass sprints especially at Tour of Britain but also in some Tour stages, probably he has lost some speed but if he wants I think he could also grab bonus seconds by sprinting in some hilly stages.
I remember the days when Thomas was mostly visible as a lead-out man.

If Woods skip the Giro it would be pure logic. Next years Giro-field overall looks a lot tougher than the Tour. Top 10 would be difficult for a guy like Woods.

I don't know how well Woods fare in the high mountains (above 2000 m) but the low amount of time trialling should suit his characteristics. He could be stage hunting and still be plan b for a scenario where Uran fails (like 2018).

There's a longish TTT in the Tour, though, so maybe from EF's point of view it would be better to have a team consisting of guys who can TT a bit better and to choose between Uran, Kangert, Van Garderen, Martinez, Craddock, Brown, Clarke and the classics guys and have Woods as someone who can actually achieve something during the Giro as Modolo doesn't appear to be a reliable guy in GTs and other big races. Or maybe they can send Martinez to have his first GT leadership. Not many options to choose from unless someone like Carthy has a breakthrough but he has always had poor recovery so it's a long way for him before he can do well in GTs.

If I were Woods, though, I would prefer to go to the Tour as well. When you're turning 33 this year, you don't know how many good years you have left and it would be a shame for such a good rider to never have the chance to ride the Tour.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

Wild card for @giroditalia n° 102 (11 may-2 june 2019) now are official: @AndroniGiocatto @Bardiani_CSF @yallaACADEMY and @NIPPO_Fantini

Re:

tobydawq said:
What exactly do they think Bardiani will bring to the race? Horribly bad team.

The problem I guess is that the other candidates were almost as poor, so Bardianis long history was enough. Direct Energie with Bonifazio and Calmejane is not much better than Guardini and Senni + a chance for other young italian talents, and Neri Sottoli pretty much only had a old Visconti to offer.

A much worse wild card is the usual Novo Nordisk wc for Milano San Remo where they have absolutely no business.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I don't understand the Israel Cycling Academy wildcard. Last year, it made sense, this year, not so much. Except $$$.

They have a decent squad, so from that standpoint it's understandable. Would have liked to see an all italian Wildcard approach but at least Israel are a better choice than Gazprom.

Re: Re:

Squire said:
MADRAZO said:
A much worse wild card is the usual Novo Nordisk wc for Milano San Remo where they have absolutely no business.
I don't think Coquard is gonna donate large sums to the diabetes cause anytime soon...

It is indeed getting ridicolous how they keep chosing Novo Nordisk instead of Coquards team. Its a shame.

"Maybe I am being vacant but I don't get the link[/quote]

The Diabetes team Novo Nordisk is getting the Wild Cards Coquard should have had. Also this year Novo Nordisk took a spot from Nippo that had a great team for MSR with Lobato and Canola, but at least they got the Giro instead.

I see the point about Coquard.

On the other hand, though, you could argue that his completely apathetic reaction to getting snubbed for last year's Tour (after which he won nothing) is haunting him now. If he had responded by delivering on the road, he would have been much harder to forgo for the organisers now.

That said, Novo Nordisk of course do not deserve a place in MSR.

Re: Re:

MADRAZO said:
tobydawq said:
What exactly do they think Bardiani will bring to the race? Horribly bad team.

The problem I guess is that the other candidates were almost as poor, so Bardianis long history was enough. Direct Energie with Bonifazio and Calmejane is not much better than Guardini and Senni + a chance for other young italian talents, and Neri Sottoli pretty much only had a old Visconti to offer.

You are correct about Novo Nordisk - As much as they are a worthy cause they are in effect a Continental level team.

Direct Energie & Neri Sottoli would've been Calmejane versus Visconti for the mountains jersey. Instead RCS invited 2 Italian farm teams with Bardiani & Nippo when Androni Giocattoli already adds Italian talent to the race.

I can't fully agree with their decision. Especially since I believe Visconti truly would've been able to add something to the 2019 Giro d'Italia!

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I don't understand the Israel Cycling Academy wildcard. Last year, it made sense, this year, not so much. Except $$$.
Who pays a lot of $$$ is Bardiani, or maybe Mr. Bardiani is Vegni secret lover. If you pick a random continental team you have a decent chance to find a better team :rolleyes:

Israel Cycling Academy is one of the best Professional teams, probably they even have a shot to get automatic entry from next year with the new regulations.

But also Nippo is a bad choice, Moser is a former pro, Canola didn't fulfill the expectations and only Lobato could offer something (some random top 10).

TRENDING THREADS