• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D´italia stage 11 - Tortoreto Lido - Castefidardo 144.0km

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Giro D´italia stage 11 - Tortoreto Lido - Castefidardo 144.0km

can a mod or admin insert stage images here please my computers on crack.

Key battleground

While not on the scale of 2010's stage to L'Aquila, the shark-toothed profile of this 144km leg to Castefidardo suggests a day packed with attacks, even among GC contenders. Expect Scarponi, who's on home ground close to the finish, to be among the agitators. Famous for a key battle during the unification campaign, the finishing town of Castefidardo stands high above the countryside.

Details
Distance: 144km
Highest point: 486m
Category: Mountain stage (medium)

Scarponi says...
"It'll be great for my fans! It'll be aggressive; have a bad day here and you're in trouble. You're looking at a group of maybe six and it's made for a punchy climber. Maybe a Spaniard could do well but it's only 50km from home, so I'd better shape up!"

Day for the breakaway ?

Day for someone to set themselves up for the KOM ?

Day for this man Johnny Hoogerland I think.

what say you ?

ouch =/

you are lacking a few things to open a race thread.

Stage 11: Tortoreto Lido - Castefidardo 144.0km

altimetria_11.jpg

last k profile

ukm_11.jpg

looks like the stage saxo will use to lose the pink jersey so they don't need to control the race during the weekend in hell

this is the ideal stage for some1 like machado and other in his position (down on GC and can't keep up with the best everytime the route goes uphill) to have a go. also guys like visconti, kyrilenka, hoggie and a few others

Looks like a good stage. Can imagine a lot of people who are close enough to take the jersey but not a real threat overall will want to be in the break hoping to get a few days in the maglia rosa before one of the top guys, probably Contador, takes it. Could therefore be a fast start and with that climb followed by other climbs there could be some problems for the non-climbers in terms of getting tailed off early on and finding it difficult to get back. Some could be going home a day early.

jobiwan said:
If Visconti's got the legs, I think he can take it.
Otherwise Scarponi.

I don't see AC allowing ANY other GC contender to gain time on him. Now, that doesn't mean that Lampre or Liquigas won't try to force Saxo to keep the maglia rosa (which would actually be a smart tactic on their part); but again, I don't see under those circumstances, AC conceding the victory (and the related bonus seconds) to Scarponi or Nibali.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Looks like a nice opportunity for teams that want to put pressure on Saxo Bank to go for a break, probably not too early.

Second/third best placed riders from Astana, Geox, HTC, Quickstep, Rabo, Lampre, Movistar?
Of course you wouldn't want to burn out your mountain domestiques... but maybe some will try?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What a fantastic profile. I would absolutely love to ride this stage :D. No idea about a winner but I have to say thank you to RCS for coming up with this parcours. Can't wait. Brilliant. :D

cyclingfanatik said:
PURITO!

Seriously, though has anybody read anything about why he's sucking so hard this giro?
Just before the Montevergine stage, there was a discussion somewhere if Rodriguez was the 3rd best climber.

I said he was overrated and often has the strategy of hanging on and then try an explosive attack in the final Km or final 500m. But that he often struggles on tempo climbs (often not always).
That happened on Andorra in the Vuelta last year, it happened in the Tour twice (once on Morzine), and now it happened again on Etna.

I still think we'll see him up there on the steep climbs

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Contador said this stage is like a one day classic. He would love to not be in the maglia rosa, as he's being super protective of his rest and recovery time. After the Saturday attack and second place finish, the Spanish media mobbed him after the line. He answered a couple of quick questions, then forced his way through, saying he needed to go rest. After the Etna stage, the sponsor Saxo Bank flew him back to the mainland on a private plane. Today he was quoted as saying it's an honor to have the jersey, but he loses an hour or hour and a half in recovery time each day he has it. Today he answered a few questions at the finish, but was fined 1000 Swiss Francs for skipping the press conference.

Tomorrow is his only chance to lose it to a non-rival, but a lot of things would have to go right either from a break or a long attack. He won't want to lose time on any of the three big weekend stages that he chose to recon. He'd like to win Zoncolan, and the Tuesday uphill Time Trial is a big deal. We don't know where he's at with his peak yet - is it still building a bit, or was Sunday the top?

I'd like to see some serious climbers who are behind in the GC man up and fight for the KOM and some TV time for their sponsors.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Contador said this stage is like a one day classic. He would love to not be in the maglia rosa, as he's being super protective of his rest and recovery time. After the Saturday attack and second place finish, the Spanish media mobbed him after the line. He answered a couple of quick questions, then forced his way through, saying he needed to go rest. After the Etna stage, the sponsor Saxo Bank flew him back to the mainland on a private plane. Today he was quoted as saying it's an honor to have the jersey, but he loses an hour or hour and a half in recovery time each day he has it. Today he answered a few questions at the finish, but was fined 1000 Swiss Francs for skipping the press conference.

Tomorrow is his only chance to lose it to a non-rival, but a lot of things would have to go right either from a break or a long attack. He won't want to lose time on any of the three big weekend stages that he chose to recon. He'd like to win Zoncolan, and the Tuesday uphill Time Trial is a big deal. We don't know where he's at with his peak yet - is it still building a bit, or was Sunday the top?

I'd like to see some serious climbers who are behind in the GC man up and fight for the KOM and some TV time for their sponsors.

Haha, you can get fined for skipping press conference?

Break, Rodriguez or Anton. Anton has attacked on short punchy climbs before and unless he redirected his primary goals to the GC, this could (under the right circumstances) be the right time for a stage win.

Rodriguez performance in stage 9 was questionable. Lack of affinity for fast power-climbs was mentioned earlier in the thread, but could also be something else.
If stage 9 was just a bad day or something like that, then he could sail away to victory with a late attack.

Predicting Contador to follow wheels, not chasing every attack at the final hill (if break doesn't make it).
But given his fierce approach this Giro edition, he could just attack for victory on this stage aswell...