• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024 Stage 20, Alpago-Bassano del Grappa, 184 km

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So congrats to Teddy no another win. His 6th stage victory won in great style capping the most dominant GT in recent decades (10' - 4'' advantage in the GC). Congrats to Pelizzarri on a great ride - who knows what this young man can achieve. The stage outcome was no surprise at all, everything went exactly as I expected, which on the downside means that the Giro was very predictable.

BTW Pogacar did around 1720 m/h of VAM for almost 52 minutes, which is probably his best uphill performance of this duration. It's worth noting that the climbing speed was lowered by about 3% due to short flat/downhill sections, which means he was pushing around 1770 m/h of VAM for 50 minutes! (with 1.5 minutes of breaks).
Col de Portet in 2021 was 1713 m/h VAM. It was similar (also 1713, looking at watts in cycling) but Portet was in altitude (2220 m).

Last edited:
Brilliant win by Mr Pogacar ...so strong , so good
But I hope he is never at a GT again with out one of the other top riders . This last week was very predicable and lacked any of the drama I like in cycling

Congrats to Danni Martinez, first podium in a GT, a very big achievement

Congrats to Geraint Thomas the oldest ever podium in a GT..no mean feat

As for the others I liked the P Peintre bros ...good riders and Valentin very good at climbing

Tiberi looks like a true find , same for Steinhauser

Great achievement by Pozzo with so many Giro starts

Nice to see Alaphillpe back and Milano looks to me to be the best sprinter in the world right now

Reactions: CPT. Z
May 7, 2024
Visit site
A little bit of a distraction, but...

during the last few years, I have always enjoyed my encounters, in the coldest of times of the year, with Marc Soler of Team UAE. Normally I just see him riding for fitness. He always passes the friendly cordial salute. He always tells me 'Hola.' In no way whatsoever is he one of those horrible amatuer-zombie/robots.

Nevertheless, this year I did note a difference in how Soler was riding.

I remember the day in January and the excellence of how he passed me. If you can imagine Fernando Alonso in his racing car, doing a critical move on you, so precise, so to the point, so aggressive, and so clean and so well done...

It is how I understand the intention of Pogacar and Team UAE this year.

I hope his knee will hold. I fear he won’t play some of the next games. But even when he’s just standing and not running, he’s dangerous.
He has same problems since the end of regular season. They need to wrap WCF as soon as possible and hope Celtics somehow have longer series for Doncic to recover. He will play for sure but question is in what shape. This are his least impressive playoff series in his young career and it is obvious that knees are the problem :/

Reactions: Volderke
A little bit of a distraction, but...

during the last few years, I have always enjoyed my encounters, in the coldest of times of the year, with Marc Soler of Team UAE. Normally I just see him riding for fitness. He always passes the friendly cordial salute. He always tells me 'Hola.' In no way whatsoever is he one of those horrible amatuer-zombie/robots.

Nevertheless, this year I did note a difference in how Soler was riding.

I remember the day in January and the excellence of how he passed me. If you can imagine Fernando Alonso in his racing car, doing a critical move on you, so precise, so to the point, so aggressive, and so clean and so well done...

It is how I understand the intention of Pogacar and Team UAE this year.
Great post, thank you for sharing.

Bringing up a great point of the determination and focus they are racing with.

Brilliant win by Mr Pogacar ...so strong , so good
But I hope he is never at a GT again with out one of the other top riders . This last week was very predicable and lacked any of the drama I like in cycling

Congrats to Danni Martinez, first podium in a GT, a very big achievement

Congrats to Geraint Thomas the oldest ever podium in a GT..no mean
Horner was 41 when he won his Vuelta