• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 6, Torre del Lago Puccini (Viareggio) – Rapolano Terme, 180km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tadej Pogacar (UAD): "I would have allowed Plapp to take the Pink jersey, that would have been good too, but Ineos Grenadiers rode on the gravel sections and in the last kilometers, so we are not didn't get there."

GNJyMb7XwAAW_j-

That and your family being members of the Tijuana Cartell...they would get you first! :p
So the guy that chimed in that I am a bad dude for family or furry friend sacrifices for a pro podium result will certainly be incensed that I will join the cartel before lunch for a pro result!! Like Alaphilippe taking a hand up today from Patrick Lefevere .. I will be getting my water bottles and gels from El Chapo!! Can you imagine the disgust when Del Toro is told he is riding support for El Blanco Gordo..the bike racing version of Jack Black in Nacho Libre!!
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Atg2aASyY4&pp=ygUWamFjayBibGFjayBuYWNobyBsaWJyZQ%3D%3D

Are there others named Plapp? Are we talking about the same race? The same person? Luke Plapp is a track racer turned roadie, 3 year pro instigated a breakaway w a ten+ year pro, who just happened in that time was 2 time World Champion, won multiple grand tour stages and a few classics when he wasn't out having a beer.
Plapp on the podium at the Giro is ginormous!!! He held his own, rode back to the wheel after being obviously gapped many times and he pushed through to be an equal contributor all the way to within meters of the finish. Photography and video will show him in the same frame as the winner and runner up.
Personally I would sacrifice my house,pets and 3,4 family members for the same result!!
Plapp rode lights out and pro bike racing is getting a well needed infusion of pimple faced punks that ride the wheels off!! Plapp showing up in multiple races already this year. If what he did was stupid, fill up swimming pool and I am jumping in!! Guy rode today like an absolute stallion and didn't skip his turn on the front anytime I saw. The 3 did what it took and got good results from riding bold instead of boring..
His 3rd place is worth immeasurable amounts in cycling character!!

3rd place is the 2nd loser. all of his efforts were for nothing; he didn't even try to win.

Yeah, if he hadn't ridden on the front, he might not have lost any more time than he already did. He was with 2 riders who were very motivated to stay away, so I think his decision was stupid. He gained nothing that he wouldn't have likely gained, anyway.
"Might" is the key word. If Plapp stopped riding, the pace might have dropped as his companions played cat and mouse, knowing Plapp could jump them at any moment.

3rd place is the 2nd loser. all of his efforts were for nothing; he didn't even try to win.
Feel like possible troll blood has been spilled into the water.
Let me identify some basics about all forms of bike racing, these are facts, not my humble opinions.
Majority of people who compete in federation sanctioned events don't win or achieve a podium result ( top 3) that goes for amateur and professional racers. There are a variety of available cycling database websites were information can be examined. Procyclingstats.com is an easy to use ,free source of information. Take current few hundred pros,type in their name and you will get a by year list of results, date always, but not all sites include entrants or finishers . Majority of riders will start and end a career without a podium or victory.
Luke Plapp..or Julian Alaphilippe, can stop racing tomorrow and cycling and people who know it's details and Inter workings would never, could never consider either rider as you describe losers. You are certainly welcome to use that language and maintain your own criteria, but in bike racing, podium at a pro race,any race disqualify you from being a loser. Grand tour results are reserved for the best in the sport on that occasion, again loser can't be accurately used for anyone top 3, top 10 or 20 at a Grand tour.My normal sarcasm and sophomore humour is not included, if Plapp or Alaphilippe are losers you don't know the sport, which I repeat is your right and privilege. Loser is a term for sure,but used as a pejorative for second or third place, kind of silly.

Feel like possible troll blood has been spilled into the water.
Let me identify some basics about all forms of bike racing, these are facts, not my humble opinions.
Majority of people who compete in federation sanctioned events don't win or achieve a podium result ( top 3) that goes for amateur and professional racers. There are a variety of available cycling database websites were information can be examined. Procyclingstats.com is an easy to use ,free source of information. Take current few hundred pros,type in their name and you will get a by year list of results, date always, but not all sites include entrants or finishers . Majority of riders will start and end a career without a podium or victory.
Luke Plapp..or Julian Alaphilippe, can stop racing tomorrow and cycling and people who know it's details and Inter workings would never, could never consider either rider as you describe losers. You are certainly welcome to use that language and maintain your own criteria, but in bike racing, podium at a pro race,any race disqualify you from being a loser. Grand tour results are reserved for the best in the sport on that occasion, again loser can't be accurately used for anyone top 3, top 10 or 20 at a Grand tour.My normal sarcasm and sophomore humour is not included, if Plapp or Alaphilippe are losers you don't know the sport, which I repeat is your right and privilege. Loser is a term for sure,but used as a pejorative for second or third place, kind of silly.

i wasn't saying that they were "Losers" personally, just that they lost on the stage today. the rest of this ***...you should've saved your time, i'm not reading any of it.

let me teach you some Cycling Tactics 101. Alaphlippe's tactics were fine because he has a great sprint so taking pulls and relying on his sprint was 100% the right idea. Plapp had zero chance in hell of ever outsprinting Alaphilippe today, not to even bring Sanchez into the equation. in fact, having another rider there actually helps him because if Plapp goes, they might hesitate because they do not want to let the other one draft off of them. so even if he had not already been dropped earlier, his best chance to win was to stop pulling. instead he drilled it on the front for the last 1.5k. if he had enough energy to do that then he had enough energy to stop pulling and attack inside the last kilometer. nobody is saying he would've won, in fact probably not, but a 10% chance at winning is a lot better than zero.

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
This reads as, "I don't care what it's actually like to be a cyclist and race bike, I'm just going to criticize them for how they should act in my playbook of supposedly perfect tactics which don't account for what athletes actually are dealing with."

Like fatigue. Like an understanding from riding next to a guy for 3 hours (or 3 years) that I can't win in such-and-such situation. Like understanding that riders don't always care about what fans care about.

It belies a lack of any understanding of what it's actually like to race a bike. It's a non-athlete view, and as such, I find it severely lacking.
Got it, we are all just lazy wankers who should shut the *** up. We don't have the status needed to discuss what unfolded. I'm glad you do.

He did the same thing on the 2nd stage of Romandie with Nys and Vendrame. Ended up third there too.

i actually think that was fine. in that situation he actually was GC relevant and gaining real time on the other GC riders with stages left that suited him. and on top of that he was catching tired breakaway riders near the top of a climb, so there was actually a chance he could outsprint them as well.

This reads as, "I don't care what it's actually like to be a cyclist and race bike, I'm just going to criticize them for how they should act in my playbook of supposedly perfect tactics which don't account for what athletes actually are dealing with."

Like fatigue. Like an understanding from riding next to a guy for 3 hours (or 3 years) that I can't win in such-and-such situation. Like understanding that riders don't always care about what fans care about.

It belies a lack of any understanding of what it's actually like to race a bike. It's a non-athlete view, and as such, I find it severely lacking.

none of this means anything. it doesn't take real racing experience to know that riding on the front in a group of 3 while having the worst sprint of the 3 is a bad tactic. i don't get what having experience in bike racing has to do with realizing that he gave himself no chance of winning the stage? i commended the Polti rider Pietrobon for his great tactics yesterday, where he did the exact opposite of what Plapp did and would've won the stage had the riders behind hesitated slightly more than they did. he risked losing a 3rd or a 4th place and gave himself a chance to win the race.

next time i'll just post "wow, Luke Plapp, what a hoss. using all of that energy for a 3rd place. atta boy."

Reactions: SafeBet and Sciatic
I can't get into the mind of a rider, but I would venture to guess he knew he wouldn't win the stage and started thinking long-term goals.
I'm sorry to offend your sensitivities, zlev, but that's just my opinion. I might be wrong, but let's get back to planet Earth now, shall we?

ok, fine. if his goal is to become the next Francis De Greef then he did an amazing ride.

Reactions: the delgados
is it a poem they read at the end of Processo alla Tappa now, or what's that part about?

I still miss the blackboard with the favorites' names (ilmaestro style), though, and also the dog predicting the winner. That was some quality coverage!

If you’re talking with friends about Formula 1 races, do you discount anyone’s perspective who didn’t race F1?

Reactions: jmdirt
If you’re talking with friends about Formula 1 races, do you discount anyone’s perspective who didn’t race F1?
Is that what I said? Implied?

I would listen to the driver more than someone who's never done it. And driving a car is not equivalent to riding a bike. The ask is to try and think a little less mechanically about what constitutes good tactics. To understand riders don't all have the same capabilities or motivations. And being tired is a thing...about 10x more than in F1.

Same thing with people referring to Ala getting outsprinted, that "a few years ago" he would never have lost that sprint. Maybe. I saw him lose sprints at his peak. People get tired. Sometimes you have good legs and sometimes you don't. He easily could have lost that sprint at his peak.

Slagging a rider because he didn't do this or that, unequivocally, is dumb. Riders have good days and bad days. They aren't the same every day, or in every tactical situation.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Is that what I said? No.

But I would listen to the driver more than someone who's never done it. The ask is to try and think a little less mechanically about what constitutes good tactics. To understand riders don't all have the same capabilities or motivations. And being tired is a thing.

Same thing with people referring to Ala getting outsprinted, that "a few years ago" he would never have lost that sprint. Maybe. I saw him lose sprints at his peak. People get tired. Sometimes you have good legs and sometimes you don't. He easily could have lost that sprint at his peak.

Slagging a rider because he didn't do this or that, unequivocally is dumb. Riders have good days and bad days. They aren't the same every day, or in every tactical situation.
Okay, that’s a bit too reductionistic.
I love that I get the perspective of folks who raced on this forum. And if we were all magically made into consultants advising the DS and riders on team bus about strategies for the next day’s stage, I would absolutely discount my opinion because I never raced. But we’re commenting on something we’re all watching as entertainment (okay, maybe some of you are betting on it) just like we might comment on a theater performance or a band concert. Someone who has watched a lot of theater , ufor example, may pick up all kinds of nuances and perhaps be better informed about the specific than someone who says “I used to act.”

I have an example from my work. Federal court judges have often allowed my opinions (testimony) on lawsuits re: environment contamination. However, I’m a historian — not a chemist, not a hydrologist, not a biologist all of whom also testify: Even though I’ve never stepped foot on any contaminated sites or ever been inside a lab, my opinion is valid simply because I’ve found, read, and contextualized every single bit of historical documentation re; the polluters or industrial methods, etc.

Of course, attorneys for the defendants (industrial companies) spend hours critiquing my opinion to try to get it thrown out of court. But they’re generally not successful as long as I know my stuff.