• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro dell'Emilia 2021 (02.10.)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg
what happened to Vingegaard?

Reactions: noob
Honestly I am not convinced he'll be as good without QS though. So sad he's leaving QS. In due time he and Remco are gonna have different objectives while Pog and Almeida are going to have the same objectives (wild guess).
At least in 1 day races the combination Pogacar, Hirschi and Almeida doesn't feel optimal. All fairly quick in a sprint, so the roles are less clear as opposed to having Almeida and Remco in 1 team.

Riding a perfect race doesn't necessarily mean you or a teammate win in the end.

Well, it makes sense to evaluate "perfection" relative to the result or at least to how other riders rode. Shouldn't a perfect race at least make life hard for the eventual winner? Attacking at the end and then being obliterated 5 seconds later disqualifies it as "perfect". At no point in the race did Roglic seem to be in danger. Good race, sure. Perfect race, not quite. Perhaps at Lombardia.

Great race as expected by the level of the field present at Emilia. As some side notes:

• Roglic blew up the competition in fashion manner showing that he's on peak form for Lombardia
  • Remco showed that he has overcome that downhill fear that he seemed to had
  • Remco seems to have already improved his downhill skills
  • Remco showed some weakness at the deepest uphill sections not being able to keep up with the lights of Rog Almeida Yates and Woods
  • Almeida showed that he is turning into a serious first class climber
  • Pogacar needs a rest

Looking forward to Lombardia

Or he's treating it like training for Lombardia. But I doubt it.

I'm suspicious of Pog's ability to conceal his true form ever since he went under the radar in the Dauphiné 2020... before the Tour happened.

But I don't see the point in not battling with the other guys today, i.e. it looked like he missed a load of fun up front once the race got going & there's no guarantee Lombardia will go as planned.

Also, although my stream was a bit cr*p I still got to see all the action at the end & that was classic vintage Roglic. The only reason some might think he's suffering before he attacks (& I read/heard such comments during the Vuelta as well) is because he's pulling bigger gears this year than last year (when he used to spin his legs more).

It's a small change in climbing style but it seems to be really working.

Honestly I am not convinced he'll be as good without QS though. So sad he's leaving QS. In due time he and Remco are gonna have different objectives while Pog and Almeida are going to have the same objectives (wild guess).
I hope you're wrong, and that he continues to progress. I believe emirates has a great staff to make almeida better and better. But at the same time, i agree with you, dqs would be a great team to almeida in the future, he improved a lot with them.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I hope you're wrong, and that he continues to progress. I believe emirates has a great staff to make almeida better and better. But at the same time, i agree with you, dqs would be a great team to almeida in the future, he improved a lot with them.

In terms of GT and 1 week races i'm pretty sure that Almeida will have a better staff and riders around for the purposes of protecting him, as for one day races he would be better with QS