• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2011 Stage 17: Feltre - Tirano 230km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hasnt been talked about because of what happened after but that was some good chess going on before they went for the sprint. And when they finally did it was quite a cool image as they all went off every man for himself, 4 men next to eachother spread accross the road.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Barrus said:
It should be a clear DQ for Visconti, the second push endangered both Ulissi and Lastras. ALthough it is clear that Ulissi is partially at fault here as well, there was a clear possibility of Visconti ending up in the barrieres

No. Ulissi held his line like a grown man. That was a professional move.

Moondance said:
Do I detect surprise?

:p

Absolutely not Moondance. Absolutely not!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Hasnt been talked about because of what happened after but that was some good chess going on before they went for the sprint. And when they finally did it was quite a cool image as they all went off every man for himself, 4 men next to eachother spread accross the road.

gotta love break away sprints

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

There was from 3 of them, Bakelandts panicked and thought he was riding for Farnese to lead out Visconti...

Well done Diego Ulissi, a Giro stage win aged 21, cool :)

will10 said:
There was from 3 of them, Bakelandts panicked and thought he was riding for Farnese to lead out Visconti...

no i know what i saw;) (see, as i rewinded and paused).

When they first went for the sprint about 500 out it was Ulissi on the left, next to him Lastras, on his right Bakelands and on the far right Visconti.

Bakelands faded away after and Visconti would cut in but at that point it was 4 men going for a straight sprint.

The Hitch said:
Im probably the only one on here :p but Im with Giovanni on this. He could not possibly sprint with the tiny gap he was given by Ullisi. He needed to push Ulissi away.

He could have stayed and waited for Ulissi to get dq'd but then Lastras might have won so he needed to take things into his own hands.

Give Giovani the win.:D

When Visconti chose to sprint against the barrier, he took a risk that there might not be a clear gap, there wasn't and he pushed and complained, like a sore loser.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
no i know what i saw;) (see, as i rewinded and paused).

When they first went for the sprint about 500 out it was Ulissi on the left, next to him Lastras, on his right Bakelands and on the far right Visconti.

Bakelands faded away after and Visconti would cut in but at that point it was 4 men going for a straight sprint.

I meant the chess on wheels part, 3 of them were being very smart but Bakelandts panicked. When they opened up yes it was 4 abreast

superconfex said:
Ulissi DID NOTHING WRONG

Ramira said:
Tbh he got off lightly, with a bit worse luck he would've caused a crash and he might well be going home.
Agree with these. I was hoping Visconti would get a stage win but he deserves a dq after that. Probably would have gotten one if not for the tri-colore.
The Hitch said:
Im probably the only one on here :p but Im with Giovanni on this. He could not possibly sprint with the tiny gap he was given by Ullisi. He needed to push Ulissi away.

He could have stayed and waited for Ulissi to get dq'd but then Lastras might have won so he needed to take things into his own hands.

It's not Ulissi's responsibility to give Visconti any gap. He can start his sprint from wherever he likes and from where he started it there was only a small gap to get through on the left. It's impossible to do an all-out sprint and keep your wheel in a 5cm space. You are allowed a a very small amount of drift in either direction and that is all that Ulissi did. Visconti should have never planned on passing to that side.

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
Apparently Visconti was also pissed off at the fact Ulissi did almost no work on the front throughout the day.

Quite a literal example of the free rider problem ;)

if you're english apologies, i've chosen a bad example

(my thought process is here "great, love an economics joke" smile to myself "netherlands! there's someone making economics jokes in a foreign language on a forum not at all related to econmics. impressive"

the ability for people on this forum to make jokes that are amusing and clever in a language that is not there mother tongue is something i continue to find amazing.

the struggles i've had over the years translating the jokes on carambar (sp? the french chewy sweet) packets, not even taking into account trying to find why it's a joke/funny.

chapeau to all you people who converse intelligently in a second (third fourth... language).

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Cyclingnews' headline is somewhat peculiar

Breakaway sticks, no change on GC

No change on the GC? When Sivtsov did a huge jump from 12 to 5? :eek:

They overlooked Lovkvist falling to 22nd from 21st, tsk ;)

lol the biggest italian hope,ulissi acting more like an asz i've heard,ricco style...piszing off the veterans.
visconti totally failed this time,i mean how on earth did he choose to go there?just like mikael cherel.bad decision.
tomorrow the italian champion back in the breakaway.

Damn, I always am playing catch up when things get interesting.
Correct decision by the commies. Deserved win for Ulissi. (and my CQ team:eek:)
He did nothing wrong.
Visconti quite a luckly boy and he was talking bollo*ks about Ulissi not working, since Gianni was the first to attack the working group and did so repeatedly.

In fact, for the last 30kms Diego rode by far the smartest race. Very clever for a young rider.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
In fact, for the last 30kms Diego rode by far the smartest race. Very clever for a young rider.

I liked the fake attack right after the 1K banner. It allowed him to sit up and get a good position at the back for the sprint. As for Visconti, he was all over the road and has no one but himself to blame for getting squeezed into the barrier. I think he'll watch the replay and be embarrassed.

TRENDING THREADS