• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2015 Stage 20: Saint-Vincent – Sestriere 199km

What, its still not up you lazy fuckers? :D

Stage 20: Saint-Vincent – Sestriere 199 kms MTF

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_20.jpg

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_20.jpg

Start time: 12:00, May 30th

Analysis:
Here we have the final showdown of the Giro, provided that the GC is still somewhat open after all we've been through. Just like the last stage, the first 150 kms of this stage are all flat, and serve for the sole purpose of bringing the riders to the town of Susa, where they'll turn left and tackle the final beast of the Giro, the mighty Colle delle Finestre (18.5 kms at 9.2%), the Cima Coppi of this edition with its 2178m above sea level. This wonderful climb, the first real contribution of Zomegnan to the Giro, was climbed for the first time in 2005, packed between two ascents to Sestriere. Its most known feature is the second half of the climb, that is unpaved and that in 2005 was even in a pretty bad state. The inclusion of Finestre in 2005 was the first milestone of the recovery of the sterrato in the Giro operated systematically by Zomegnan in the following years and culminated with the unforgettable stage to Montalcino in 2010.
Going back to the 2005 Savigliano – Sestriere (if you have never watched it, you will find it on Youtube), that stage wrapped up the best Giro of the XXI century with a memorable race, where Simoni went for a kamikaze attack on the first ramps of Finestre to try to win the Maglia Rosa from Savoldelli, who was leading by 2'09'' in GC. The attack by Simoni was followed by an impressive Di Luca and by the KOM leader Rujano. The peloton exploded completely and at the top of Finestre Simoni was in virtual pink. After the descent, where Savoldelli gained some time already, Simoni's luck started to fade. Di Luca dropped due to cramps on the very beginning of Sestriere, and the duo Rujano-Simoni started to lose time to the small following group, where Savoldelli found precious allies. At a few kms to go, Rujano attacked and went on to win an epic stage, with a defeated Simoni coming in 2nd place. Savoldelli kept the Maglia Rosa for 28'' over Simoni and 45'' over Rujano.
After that stage, Finestre has been climbed only once, in 2011. That was the day of Kiryenka, who won from an impressive solo breakaway (and dedicated his win to Tondo), followed by Rujano (definitely the best climber ever on Finestre) who had attacked from the gc group on Finestre. The other favourites attacked each other only at the top of Finestre and tried some movements on Sestriere, but the GC was already done and dusted by a far superior Contador.
Let's get back to the analysis... After the Cima Coppi, the riders will descend to the valley through a pretty short and technical descent, which ends at 16 to go. After 7 kms of false flat, the final obstacle of the Giro begins: one of the most famous climbs in the world of cycling, Sestriere (GPM3, 9.2 kms at 5.4%). This place has seen the finish of some of the best races ever, both in the Giro and in the Tour de France. Honorable mention goes obviously to the famous Tour 1992 stage, that any cycling fan should have watched already.

tappa_20_S02.jpg

tappa_20_S04.jpg

6MVi4fs.png

WINNERS IN SESTRIERE:
1952 (Tour) Coppi
1991 (Giro) Chozas
1992 (Tour) Chiappucci
1993 (Giro, ITT) Indurain
1994 (Giro) Richard
1996 (Tour) Riis
1999 (Tour) Armstrong
2000 (Giro, ITT) Hruska
2005 (Giro) Rujano
2011 (Giro) Kiryenka

Expectations:
Crushweak to go for the Cima Coppi, expect nothing from Contador or Landa.

That 2005 stage was so awesome. One i'll never forget. Savoldelli caught more then one lucky break. Rujano probably waited way too long with helping Simoni, he really could've won il giro that day. Killer looked strongest on Sestriere but unfortunately cramped up on the false flat. And Ardila and Van Huffel somehow starting to work for il Falco and waiting for him after they dropped him. Great great stage. Savoldelli still deserved that Giro cause of his brilliant tactial masterpiece that led to his stage win on Zoldo Alto.

Really hope tomorrows stage is similar to 2005 and not to 2011 cause that was quite a letdown

Hejsedal should do well on Finestre and attack as soon as the gravel section starts. He is a former mountain biker.

Contador should also try something on the gravel. He should have more experience on that mountain than the young Astana guys. If they are arriving together on the last climb, it's gonna be hard for Contador to win the stage.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Contador wisely does not seek a stage win. That chance was on the Mortirolo stage, but Landa hammered him in the end.

Contador will be content with making sure that the Astanas don't get too much time. Landa or Aru are going to win this stage too, underlining Astana's climbing supremacy in this Giro. With the long flat time trial, however, they were ultimately without a chance against a strong time trialler such as Contador, who can also cope with the mountains pretty well.

I just hope Kruiswijk and Hesjedal go for it from fairly far out, Aru's not in his form of today, so Bertie can "protect them" by controlling Landa's counter attacks and Steve wins the stage to claim the blue jersey.

But maybe Bertie will come out to play rather than defend, who knows?

Re:

Tank Engine said:
I just hope Kruiswijk and Hesjedal go for it from fairly far out, Aru's not in his form of today, so Bertie can "protect them" by controlling Landa's counter attacks and Steve wins the stage to claim the blue jersey.

But maybe Bertie will come out to play rather than defend, who knows?

Contador will come out to play, but not before the last couple of kms when the deal is 100% safe.

(and rightly so)

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Contador wisely does not seek a stage win. That chance was on the Mortirolo stage, but Landa hammered him in the end.

Contador will be content with making sure that the Astanas don't get too much time. Landa or Aru are going to win this stage too, underlining Astana's climbing supremacy in this Giro. With the long flat time trial, however, they were ultimately without a chance against a strong time trialler such as Contador, who can also cope with the mountains pretty well.
lol

Re: Giro d'Italia 2015 Stage 20: Saint-Vincent – Sestriere 1

1993 Those were the days :eek: :D :D

oropa%2B93%2Bcri%2Bsestriere.jpg]

Miguel Indurain: 1hr 36min 29sec
Piotr Ugrumov @ 45sec
Moreno Argentin @ 2min 17sec
Zenon Jaskula @ 2min 48sec
Flavio Vanzella @ 3min 37sec
Carlo Finco @ 3min 43sec
Massimiliano Lelli @ 3min 52sec
Pavel Tonkov @ 3min 55sec
Cladio Chiappucci @ 4min 15sec
Rolf Aldag @ 4min 24sec
Franco Chioccioli @ 4min 49sec
Franco Vona @ 5min 16sec
Mario Chiesa @ 5min 24sec
Giancarlo Perini @ 5min 48sec
Fabio Casartelli @ 6min 5se
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrUpxcRHMe8

I just don't understand why they don't use any hard mountains before finestre. The stage is still great but especially the fact that the penultimate mountain stage finished in the area of aosta makes me wonder why they don't make a monster like that:
5Ez2dt7.png

To be honest that would maybe even be too difficult but I would love to see something like that
(btw the climbs are: Col du Petit St. Bernard, Col de I`Iseran, Col du Mont Cenis, Colle delle Finestre, Sestriere

Re:

SeriousSam said:

Lol! I hope I never meet UnseriousSam :D

Re:

SeriousSam said:

Well below your usual standard SS. Getting bored?

Finestre is an absolute monster - nearly 1700 vertical meters in just 18,5 km of road and almost half of it on gravel. It's maybe the toughest Grand Tour climb and time differences could be huge there. However it depends on tactics - it will be carnage if attacks start at the climb bottom. Otherwise it could be like 2011.

If Aru looks weak, it could be interesting if someone thinks they can actually pick up that kind of time with some degree of coordination (which rarely works out),otherwise I expect it to be defensive and anti-climactic. Sorry, It could be dull.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
I just don't understand why they don't use any hard mountains before finestre. The stage is still great but especially the fact that the penultimate mountain stage finished in the area of aosta makes me wonder why they don't make a monster like that:
5Ez2dt7.png

To be honest that would maybe even be too difficult but I would love to see something like that
(btw the climbs are: Col du Petit St. Bernard, Col de I`Iseran, Col du Mont Cenis, Colle delle Finestre, Sestriere
Just Moncenisio from Susa right before Finestre would be perfect.
T10_s01_moncenisio_alt-FIN.jpg

The first part is more of a false flat, but then you have 10km at 8%, I've used it before Finestre in the first Giro that I've posted in the race design thread, it would be the most obvious climb to use before Finestre.
Your stage looks nice. Zomegnan would probably use Colle san Carlo right at the start before Petit St. Bernard :D

Re:

staubsauger said:
From my memory, in 2005 Rujano attacked right at the bottom of the climb and formed the selected group.
I remember that epic stage. Savoldelli was dropped at the bottom but he rode a very smart race. He opted to ride his own tempo and tried to limit his time loss. If he had tried to stay with the attackers for a few more kilometers he could have cracked completely and lost his race. Tomorrow I hope for something similar to that 2005 stage ;) but given current GC situation it's not very likely.

I'll never forget Chiappucci's win in the 1992 Tour after a monster attack. With Indurain dropping everybody including Bugno in a long pursuit, and finishing closely behind Chiappucci.

Tomorrow I expect Astana to lead the chase all day, to see Contador win after an attack in the final 5K.

TRENDING THREADS