• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'Italia 2015

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To be honest, I really believe that there are many riders in this years giro, that could beat contador. Not a Contador in top shape but a contador in weak shape and from what I have seen this year Alberto hasn't been at his best so far. Of course that can change but if his shape is just okay smeone like Uran could use that. For me that doesn't change the fact that Contador is the race favorite but it is not like he already won the race before it has started.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
To be honest, I really believe that there are many riders in this years giro, that could beat contador. Not a Contador in top shape but a contador in weak shape and from what I have seen this year Alberto hasn't been at his best so far. Of course that can change but if his shape is just okay smeone like Uran could use that. For me that doesn't change the fact that Contador is the race favorite but it is not like he already won the race before it has started.

He's doing the double.

Do you expect a guy who wants to win 2 GT's in a year to crush everyone in march?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Sasquatch said:
As mentioned, there is only one challenge to Contador and that is Uran.

Porte will blow up sometime - that's a given.
Aru is not there yet

Contador and Uran will be 1st and 2nd and there won't be much in it.

That is very accurate statement and I think Contador will need a good buffer before the long TT as I believe that currently Uran has the upper hand and is capable of putting couple of minutes into Contador.

A couple of minutes? :eek:

What did i miss the last years? I mean, Uran is a good TT'er, but based on a lot of members, he has to be some Tony Martin in TT's.

Miburo said:
Gigs_98 said:

He's doing the double.

Do you expect a guy who wants to win 2 GT's in a year to crush everyone in march?
Well thats exactly the point, Contador didn't have the perfect preparation for the giro so the other riders could have a little advantage. More over think back to 2011. He also did the double in that year but was more successful before the giro

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
You fellas can keep underestimating Uran. In 4 weeks time I urge everyone to come back to these last two pages and see who has the egg on their face!

Spoiler: Won't be me :D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Miburo said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
who says we will see the best contador? :rolleyes:

He wasn't the best contador in the vuelta last year and he crushed uran.

Uran hasn't even proven enough to conclude that he can beat any kinda contador.
what kind of lame comparison is that? uran was terrible in last years vuelta :eek:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Miburo said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
who says we will see the best contador? :rolleyes:

He wasn't the best contador in the vuelta last year and he crushed uran.

Uran hasn't even proven enough to conclude that he can beat any kinda contador.
what kind of lame comparison is that? uran was terrible in last years vuelta :eek:

Give me any race you want then if you don't like that comparision. Or does it boil down to your belief? I can't argue that on a forum.

Mark my words people... We'll see a re-edition of the legendary Merano - Aprica 1994 this year.

Berzin -> Zakarin
Indurain -> Contador
Pantani -> Aru

Only that there's no S.Cristina so AC won't be dropped by PantAru and will win the jersey.

:cool:

Eshnar said:
Mark my words people... We'll see a re-edition of the legendary Merano - Aprica 1994 this year.

Berzin -> Zakarin
Indurain -> Contador
Pantani -> Aru

Only that there's no S.Cristina so AC won't be dropped by PantAru and will win the jersey.

It could be , why not. However in these years we always don't see a long range attack by Aru.
And also this year i see him in difficult in stages with multiple mountains ( as we saw last Giro and Vuelta).
Mark my words friends

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys!

I'm from Denmark and we have manager game for the giro. I'm writing because i need some help to pick my riders. So i hope some of you can help me :)

In the game, the riders are placed in 4 categories after how good they are. Cat. 1 has the best riders and cat. 4 has the worst.
I've got some problems in cat. 2 and 3, where i can't decide who to go for. I need to pick 3 riders in cat. 2 and i have shortened the list to these riders:
Michael Matthews
Damiano Caruso
Ion Izaguirre Insausti
Benat Intxausti
Giacomo Nizzolo
Diego Ulissi
Leopold König

Which 3 should i go for? I was think about I. Izaguirre, Matthews and Caruso, but i'm not sure.

I also need to pick 2 riders in cat. 3:
Mikel Landa
Ilnur Zakarin
Darwin Atapuma
Steven Kruijswijk
Alexandre Geniez
Luca Paolini
Fabio Felline
Who to go for?

Thank you! :)

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Gustav93 said:
Hey guys!

I'm from Denmark and we have manager game for the giro. I'm writing because i need some help to pick my riders. So i hope some of you can help me :)

In the game, the riders are placed in 4 categories after how good they are. Cat. 1 has the best riders and cat. 4 has the worst.
I've got some problems in cat. 2 and 3, where i can't decide who to go for. I need to pick 3 riders in cat. 2 and i have shortened the list to these riders:
Michael Matthews
Damiano Caruso
Ion Izaguirre Insausti
Benat Intxausti
Giacomo Nizzolo
Diego Ulissi
Leopold König

Which 3 should i go for? I was think about I. Izaguirre, Matthews and Caruso, but i'm not sure.

Mikel Landa
Ilnur Zakarin
Darwin Atapuma
Steven Kruijswijk
Alexandre Geniez
Luca Paolini
Fabio Felline
Who to go for?

Hey, i would pick in cat.2 matthews and caruso as you said and nizzolo. In cat.3 i'd pick zakarin, feline and geniez!

May 3, 2015
Visit site
sergs_1 said:
Gustav93 said:
Hey guys!

Michael Matthews
Damiano Caruso
Ion Izaguirre Insausti
Benat Intxausti
Giacomo Nizzolo
Diego Ulissi
Leopold König

Mikel Landa
Ilnur Zakarin
Darwin Atapuma
Steven Kruijswijk
Alexandre Geniez
Luca Paolini
Fabio Felline
Who to go for?

Hey, i would pick in cat.2 matthews and caruso as you said and nizzolo. In cat.3 i'd pick zakarin, feline and geniez!

Thank you!
Why would you pick Geniez? :)

Gustav93 said:
Hey guys!

Michael Matthews
Damiano Caruso
Ion Izaguirre Insausti
Benat Intxausti
Giacomo Nizzolo
Diego Ulissi
Leopold König

Mikel Landa
Ilnur Zakarin
Darwin Atapuma
Steven Kruijswijk
Alexandre Geniez
Luca Paolini
Fabio Felline
Who to go for?

I'm from Denmark so I know, but you really need to know the point system to give any kind of useful response.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Gustav93 said:
Hey guys!

Michael Matthews
Damiano Caruso
Ion Izaguirre Insausti
Benat Intxausti
Giacomo Nizzolo
Diego Ulissi
Leopold König

Mikel Landa
Ilnur Zakarin
Darwin Atapuma
Steven Kruijswijk
Alexandre Geniez
Luca Paolini
Fabio Felline
Who to go for?

I'm from Denmark so I know, but you really need to know the point system to give any kind of useful response.

Yep, i know. But the point system would take too long to explain.

Who do you pick for your team? :)

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
my dream giro: Bertie gains few seconds before ITT but screws the chrono massively, say 2 min, and then has to go full genius in big mountains (Mortirolo, Finestre etc)

Gustav93 said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Gustav93 said:
Hey guys!

Michael Matthews
Damiano Caruso
Ion Izaguirre Insausti
Benat Intxausti
Giacomo Nizzolo
Diego Ulissi
Leopold König

Mikel Landa
Ilnur Zakarin
Darwin Atapuma
Steven Kruijswijk
Alexandre Geniez
Luca Paolini
Fabio Felline
Who to go for?

Yep, i know. But the point system would take too long to explain.

Who do you pick for your team? :)

I haven't had a look at it :)

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Gustav93 said:
Hey guys!

Michael Matthews
Damiano Caruso
Ion Izaguirre Insausti
Benat Intxausti
Giacomo Nizzolo
Diego Ulissi
Leopold König

Mikel Landa
Ilnur Zakarin
Darwin Atapuma
Steven Kruijswijk
Alexandre Geniez
Luca Paolini
Fabio Felline
Who to go for?

Matthews, Izaguirre, König and Landa, Zakarin.

Hugo Koblet said:
TheGreenMonkey said:
DBotero said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Sasquatch said:
As mentioned, there is only one challenge to Contador and that is Uran.

Porte will blow up sometime - that's a given.
Aru is not there yet

Contador and Uran will be 1st and 2nd and there won't be much in it.

Uran has close to 0% chance of beating Contador.

Uran Giro results so far:35/7/2/2 Still better chances then Richie from this perspective.As a plus he's already proven as a GT leader,while Richie hopefully will show it this Giro.Uran should not be dismissed so easily.

Uran has shown us the level he can reach, that level is well below Contador near his best. There is much more uncertainty about what Porte can really do, so he might go to a new level. It is highly unlikely he can beat Contador near his best, but more likely than Uran who is less likely to be able to improve his performances.

Contador could crash or not be any good or ... which might take him out of contention.

Agreed. We don't know what Porte can do if everything goes well. Of course that's a big if. On the other hand, Uran certainly doesn't have the level to beat Contador.

It's more likely that Porte beats Contador than Uran beats Contador. At the same time, Uran will likely beat Porte.
Now, that is a real conundrum! :)

Gustav93 said:
Hey guys!

Michael Matthews
Damiano Caruso
Ion Izaguirre Insausti
Benat Intxausti
Giacomo Nizzolo
Diego Ulissi
Leopold König

Mikel Landa
Ilnur Zakarin
Darwin Atapuma
Steven Kruijswijk
Alexandre Geniez
Luca Paolini
Fabio Felline
Who to go for?

Izaguirre, Konig, Matthews
Zakarin, Atapuna

Jack_89 said:
Eshnar said:

Berzin -> Zakarin
Indurain -> Contador
Pantani -> Aru

It could be , why not. However in these years we always don't see a long range attack by Aru.
And also this year i see him in difficult in stages with multiple mountains ( as we saw last Giro and Vuelta).
Mark my words friends
True, but last year's Giro and Vuelta didn't exactly favor long range attacks anyway. If he sticks to the last 3 km plan in this Giro, he has 0% chances to even get to the podium. So I guess he'll try at some point.

TRENDING THREADS