• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'Italia 2015

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How long do you think Dayer Quintana will need to fight for a gt gc?. I hope that will happen really soon because that could mean another brother duo just like the schleck brothers. And if this duo doesn't act as stupid as the schlecks sometimes did (lbl 2011) this could lead to some great races

Iljo Keisse, Fabio Sabatini, Gianni Meersman, Tom Boonen; Petr Vakoc, David De La Cruz, Pieter Serry, Maxime Bouet
Boy is that a terrible Ettix-QuickStep lineup for Uran. Four guys of any use whatsoever in the long ramps, two of which have never finished a GT, another of which is Pieter Serry (no offense to Serry, who did a quick turn for Uran on Zoncolan from the break on his way to his second-best ever solo GT stage result of 27th; his two GT finishes so far are obviously two more than I'll ever get). No-one from their 2013 TTT gold medal squad for the opener, either. Guess his Movistar contract is as good as signed.

Gigs_98 said:
How long do you think Dayer Quintana will need to fight for a gt gc?. I hope that will happen really soon because that could mean another brother duo just like the schleck brothers. And if this duo doesn't act as stupid as the schlecks sometimes did (lbl 2011) this could lead to some great races

Isn't Dayer Quintana more built for the flemish classics?

Gigs_98 said:
It's not quite that easy. I'm guessing he'll be granted a lot of freedom at the Giro, let's see how that goes first. Movistar seem to like their brother duos, but if they were that confident about Dayer Quintana, Ion Izagirre or Jesús Herrada (or Rubén Fernández for that matter) developing into serious GT threats, there'd be no Uran to Movistar rumors flying around.

Re:

carton said:
Iljo Keisse, Fabio Sabatini, Gianni Meersman, Tom Boonen; Petr Vakoc, David De La Cruz, Pieter Serry, Maxime Bouet
Boy is that a terrible Ettix-QuickStep lineup for Uran. Four guys of any use whatsoever in the long ramps, two of which have never finished a GT, another of which is Pieter Serry (no offense to Serry, who did a quick turn for Uran on Zoncolan from the break on his way to his second-best ever solo GT stage result of 27th; his two GT finishes so far are obviously two more than I'll ever get). No-one from their 2013 TTT gold medal squad for the opener, either. Guess his Movistar contract is as good as signed.
Boy is that a terrible remark.
Three of the six riders of that TTT are no longer with Quickstep (Velits, Vandewalle and Chavanel) and one of the squad that won the TTT in 2012 (Boonen) is present now. Moreover, at the world championships, the distance is totally different (50+ km). This one is less than 20 km. Several of the others should be able to do a good short TTT (Boonen, Sabatini, Keisse, Serry, Uran, Vakoc). I'm pretty sure they'll end up in the top-3. I'll agree with you that they could've used one more talented climber.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
So how many people think Zakarin cud beat both Contaor & Porte ?? If this is the case I will not be happy ....but then it won't be the first Giro with an out of the blue winner
oh yeah? name one? perhaps hesjedal en that is it

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
HelloDolly said:
So how many people think Zakarin cud beat both Contaor & Porte ?? If this is the case I will not be happy ....but then it won't be the first Giro with an out of the blue winner
oh yeah? name one? perhaps hesjedal en that is it

Wasn't cunego one?

And no one gave a cent for contador's chances in 2008.

Jagartrott said:
Boy is that a terrible remark.
Three of the six riders of that TTT are no longer with Quickstep (Velits, Vandewalle and Chavanel) and one of the squad that won the TTT in 2012 (Boonen) is present now. Moreover, at the world championships, the distance is totally different (50+ km). This one is less than 20 km. Several of the others should be able to do a good short TTT (Boonen, Sabatini, Keisse, Serry, Uran, Vakoc). I'm pretty sure they'll end up in the top-3. I'll agree with you that they could've used one more talented climber.
Really? I like Ettix. I enjoy seeing Terpstra, Stybar, Kwiatkowski, Lampaert, Alaphilippe and Co. going off the front. I know they're saving most of those guys for the Tour and that their budget is limited. But if they want Uran to contend for another podium they should at least give him a GC focused team like last year, when he wore the pink for several days and came one stage away from keeping it: Brambilla, De Gendt, Keisse, Pauwels, Petacchi, Poels, Sierry, Vermote.

Only two guys strictly on flat/stage-hunting duty. Contrast that to this year's team when there are four guys in it just for the stages. If you wanted a stage win that badly, and you had no other climbers that made the cut, then at least step it up and sub in Martin for the ITT, his data would also help Uran, plus he'd help in the TTT and he can marshal the team through medium mountain stages, particularly if Uran does somehow manage to pick up the Rosa in Treviso. But when Brambilla got hurt Meersman got the call instead.

It's not just quantity, it's also quality. I'm sure Uran doesn't expect Konig/Nieve/Henao but I'm betting he'd much rather still have Poels/Brambilla/De Gent than rely on Bouet/Sierry/De la Cruz to pace him up the hills. My apparently terrible point is that while he may not be good enough to beat Contador but I think he could have gotten a little more support.

HelloDolly said:
Let's just say that if I could ride away from Nairo Quintana and Chris Froome against a headwind on an HC summit finish and the next day time trial to being a mechanical away from beating Tony Martin, then I wouldn't be very worried about Porte, even if he manages to avoid a jour sans for once. I might be more concerned if Contador returned to his 2009 Annecy/Verbier form, but he seems like a different rider nowadays. I'm guessing Zakarin has peaked for the season, but if he can keep riding at this level then there are no limits, anything could happen.

Zakarin is at his first three week race but you never know. Though Froome raced a few GTs before, nobody in their right mind including Brailsford thought that the skinny Kenyan born domestique could challenge the GC in Vuelta 2011. Miracles do happen so let's keep an eye on Zakarin.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Exactly Zakarin has already demonstrated climbing and time trialling at a high level, which is more than Froome had done when suddenly he emerged as the best climber in the world and a top 5 time triallist of the world.

Singer01 said:
HelloDolly said:

not a chance, best case scenario 5-10.

There is always a "chance" but this would have to be sort of miraculous. However, Zakarin presence as "contender" adds a lot of excitement to this Giro right after he just disposed of his "team leader" of two 2 TDF winners and 1 Giro, he can enter the GT with great aspiration and we can count on him to add to the suspense of the 2015 outcome.

TRENDING THREADS