• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'Italia 2015

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
IMO Rigoberto Urán will put 1.30 on Contador and 3 minutes with Aru in the ITT.
I dont Know if that is enough to win.

I have doubts Porte could hold three weeks the necessary level, but to have result from January is not a problem IMo, he waS always thinking in the Giro, and never in his best shape.

I think Hesjedal and Cunego could win the Giro, especially Hesjedal, but they need some good luck for him, bad luck for other people and to play Smart his cards. I think they will be stronger than Contador in last week, but that maybe is not enough.

Aru could be the best climber, but he need the shape of last year. Landa could be best climber, but just some days.

And be carefull with Rubén Fernández, he must learn what a GT is, but he has a big potential.

Zakarin arrives at the Giro with a similar story that Porte did in his first time, so he could get a similar result, but we don t know how is he in 3 weeks.

The route is excelent, so we will enjoy.

Gigs_98 said:
I think Pozzovivo will attack on the mortirolo. The climb fits him perfectly an guys like pozzovivo have to take some risks because otherwise they won't finish that high in the gc

Pozzovivo can do good ITT but not in the plain, and this year the ITT has 30 Km totally flat.

He is not so good with cold and rain as well.

He use to be at the end of the GT just a point bellow of the strongers. he could be one od the important riders of the Giro and win a stage, but IMO not in the podium except very bad luck for the others.

Of course Mortirolo suit him very well, but he must be there fresh to show that, and after that is Aprica.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
You think Contador has been aiming for a super peak in the first first week of the Giro, to have sufficient time to have another in the third week of the Tour? Or why else do you expect his relative strength to decrease over the course of the Giro.

Re:

Taxus4a said:

I have doubts Porte could hold three weeks the necessary level, but to have result from January is not a problem IMo, he waS always thinking in the Giro, and never in his best shape.

I think Hesjedal and Cunego could win the Giro, especially Hesjedal, but they need some good luck for him, bad luck for other people and to play Smart his cards. I think they will be stronger than Contador in last week, but that maybe is not enough.

Aru could be the best climber, but he need the shape of last year. Landa could be best climber, but just some days.

And be carefull with Rubén Fernández, he must learn what a GT is, but he has a big potential.

Zakarin arrives at the Giro with a similar story that Porte did in his first time, so he could get a similar result, but we don t know how is he in 3 weeks.

You have some very interesting opinions. :D :p
You say "i don't know" so let me assure you. Any time that Uran gains on AC in the TT will not be enough to win the overall gc. Hesejal and Cunego canNOT win the Giro unless AC, Porte, Aru, Uran, Pozzivivo (to name just a few) crash out. What makes you think Landa could be the best climber? There are some top end climbers here so Landa won't be mixing it up with the big guns. Also Aru at best will be the 2nd best climber here; that's it.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
You think Contador has been aiming for a super peak in the first first week of the Giro, to have sufficient time to have another in the third week of the Tour? Or why else do you expect his relative strength to decrease over the course of the Giro.

IMO he wants to win clearly the Giro, and with that doesnt depends on what he do on the Tour to have a good season, where the rivals are strongers. Anyway rigo and Porte do the Tour as well.

He came of long and hard training in altitude, he wants to peak especially at the end of the Giro, becouse is where are the key stages, but anyone who want to win this Giro must be strong as well at the begining. I think that Porte as well whant to be in his best at the end, despite his big season so far.

I think Hesjedal and Cunego could be strongers than him at the end becouse they are always strong at the end of a GT in the long and hard stages, but they must show his best in this Giro for that.

I think Contador will be strong along the three weeks.

Contador is a clever rider and if he is not the stronger he will use the team and the tactics to try something as he did in Fuente De.

Without Froome, Quintana and Nibali and with that team he must be the stronger, and he has a long ITT to put time on Aru in the case he show a superlevel in the mountains, but Contador is not going to have an easy Giro, as most of people think in Spain.

In a forum here some people give him 100 % of chances to win, and most of them give him 50-80 possibilities, and the second no more than 30. That is normal, but IMO the race will be different. He could win the Vuelta to Froome, but Froome has a bad day in the ITT (he had a mistake starting too hard) and later he played bad his cards.
Uran has a bad day at the begining of that Vuelta, but later he was close to him in Valdelinares and better than Contador in the ITT, and 35 Km is a good distance for Contador, 59 is too long for him, and later close again in Aralar before to left by illness.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Taxus4a said:

You say "i don't know" so let me assure you. Any time that Uran gains on AC in the TT will not be enough to win the overall gc. Hesejal and Cunego canNOT win the Giro unless AC, Porte, Aru, Uran, Pozzivivo (to name just a few) crash out. What makes you think Landa could be the best climber? There are some top end climbers here so Landa won't be mixing it up with the big guns. Also Aru at best will be the 2nd best climber here; that's it.

Well, you have given exacly the same answer some people gave a few years ago about Hesjedal, they smiled, not, they laught when I said he was a serious candidate before the start, and finally he won that Giro. I dont say is easy, but not imposible. They must no forgive him if he has a bad day as they did that year.

For Cunego I admit is more difficult, almost impossible, but he is a rider to put far in GC as soon as possible, he need motivation, he need no pression and he need luck.

He dont have a team to be well positionated in the flat and hilly stages, and you need that. For instand Urán has not a great team, he has not a Kreuziger, Nieve, Kangert, Basso, Rogers, Koning, (although his team is not so bad and has different kinds of riders)... but he has a strong team for that kind of stages, and to be well placed in a flat stage that finish in an small climb is as well important, or if there are schelons. So Cunego must to find himself with the oportunity, he could be one of the strongers in the Queen stage, as he did with Mortirolo-Stelvio stage but he must be on a breakaway that got time in the first too weeks to be enough close to be on the podium.

Jspear said:
Taxus4a said:

I didnt say that, I say Landa could be the best in some stages.

I could not be objetive with Landa becouse he is a friend of a friend of mine, and I have talked with him several times, but trying to be objetive, there is a reality: he is not good in the flat, he is going to lose a lot in the ITT if he were the leader of the team, so being a domestique more, and as well he is some time afected with allergies, but more in april... so I hope that dont afect him.

Aru is a climber but he is quite good in the flat and ITT.

Last year he was stronger than Nibali and Aru on Trentino when he won in Bondone, and he wanst in best shape than Aru, it was a surprise for the team, but anyway Astana got him for that becouse they know his climing skills.

Landa crashed in the Giro 2014, so it is difficult to evaluate his potential. When that happend the body is afected, you lost motivation and so on...and you are never the same on the race, but when he has the day, his qualities for climbing are similar to the big climbers of his generation: Quintana, Aru and Pinot, and he showed that in Avenir, Madrid, etc...and of course in his victories in Neila, Bondone and Aia.

For that reason I just say that if he has no crash or illness, he will be impresive some days, and people will talk about, but in his team there are a lot of riders strongers that him for a Giro, he has difficult to stay with the team that arrives in the TTT with people as Luis Leon, Cataldo, Kangert,...I think he will work and later be sacrified, never protected, becouse the only important rider is Aru, but anyway I am not sure,

He wanst well placed when Porte attacked in Trentino, but he showed he could have followed him, and porte in two Km attack is one of the best, landa is better in longer attacks, but maybe he has not showed that yet.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
People predicting again a lot of ideal mythical stages. And again the race could be a race of attrition. LOL. We need to wake up to the new era of cycling.

I agree with you, and for that reason I give some chances to Hesjedal, but that Giro was harder.
I dont Know what is a mythical stage, but I love attrition (I didnt know that english word, thanks)

Attrition doesnt mean some day Landa or any other rider make a performance to remember.
I hope Luis Le as well getting a stage in a descent.

And I am sure that if Contador is similar to his rivals and with time to get, he will look for allyes and try something with his team on Mortirolo, something similar De Gend did in Stelvio, and finally he finished on the podium.
and if Aru is like last year, he is going to attack from far, and he has team to try something as well.

But surely attrition finish with the possibilities of a lot of riders, as Pozzovivo, and IMO Porte, but that is one of the big questions to answer this Giro.

Really really interested to see how Bertie handles this Giro, as last year it was the first time it could be seen that he really suffered on some races. Even though he covered it pretty well, but he did suffer. Not talking about that crash/bone fracture case, more like gettin old.. :rolleyes:

memyselfandI said:
Really really interested to see how Bertie handles this Giro, as last year it was the first time it could be seen that he really suffered on some races. Even though he covered it pretty well, but he did suffer. Not talking about that crash/bone fracture case, more like gettin old.. :rolleyes:

Last year he was much better than previous one, and even last year was his best year in results:

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=387

But it is true he got that results with more difficulty than in other years, and he had to change even the way to race.

In 2013 Rogers was stronger than him in Dauphine and Kreuziger was stronger than him in Tour de France (both of them again his domestiques in this Giro). Contador was similar than Intxausti in Basque country. There wanst any reason for that, some people even talk about his age, what some other people said that has no sense, he wanst 37 or something like that to note that. But of course his performances of 2009 and those years finished. He is anyway a great rider with the atiitude of a champion, and he always want to be treated or look as the best one, but to get that he do things I dont like (statements and decisions): He is trying to shell as epic to try Giro and Tour when he is not only in the Tour becouse he Knows he is not the stronger. But well, it works, so good for him.

In my analysys I forgot Van der broeck, he looks in a good shape and who knows, he is a strong rider.

Acevedo and Chaves are riders that you have to take into account as well. Thet could do the paper of Arredondo last year.

it is more difficult to wait things of Betancur, although he is improving and he could show his potential some days.

And I see that italian people has confidence with Formolo to the GC, even to win the Giro.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
In my analysys I forgot Van der broeck, he look in a good shape and who knows, he is a strong rider.

Acevedo and Chaves are riders that you have to take into account as well. Thet could do the paper of Arredondo last year.

it is more difficult to wait things of Betancur, although he is improving and he could show his potential some days.

And I see that italian people has confidence with Formolo to the GC, even to win the Giro.

Yeah Van Den Broeck is starting to fine tune, if he falls right he will be a threat, lacks a little of that winning instinct however

manafana said:
Taxus4a said:
In my analysys I forgot Van der broeck, he look in a good shape and who knows, he is a strong rider.

Yeah Van Den Broeck is starting to fine tune, if he falls right he will be a threat, lacks a little of that winning instinct however

I remenber his first Giro, he was really strong, but he didnt know how to take advantage to be an unknow rider. I remember a very hard mitical climb in the Alps... everybody looked each other, he was in the front of the peloton looking people, more than 30 riders after to pass that big mountain, he looked strong, but he had fear to attack.... Oportunities like that you have one in life, but maybe now he has less presure from that Giro, and he could do a good ITT.

carton said:
Jagartrott said:
Boy is that a terrible remark.
Three of the six riders of that TTT are no longer with Quickstep (Velits, Vandewalle and Chavanel) and one of the squad that won the TTT in 2012 (Boonen) is present now. Moreover, at the world championships, the distance is totally different (50+ km). This one is less than 20 km. Several of the others should be able to do a good short TTT (Boonen, Sabatini, Keisse, Serry, Uran, Vakoc). I'm pretty sure they'll end up in the top-3. I'll agree with you that they could've used one more talented climber.
Really? I like Ettix. I enjoy seeing Terpstra, Stybar, Kwiatkowski, Lampaert, Alaphilippe and Co. going off the front. I know they're saving most of those guys for the Tour and that their budget is limited. But if they want Uran to contend for another podium they should at least give him a GC focused team like last year, when he wore the pink for several days and came one stage away from keeping it: Brambilla, De Gendt, Keisse, Pauwels, Petacchi, Poels, Sierry, Vermote.

De Gendt did anything to help Rigo last year, Poels yes, but not too much. Branbrilla is a super domestique and he is again there.

Rigo is the only favourite without any other rider to play in GC as could have Contador, Porte or Aru, but he has a strong team to suport him in the plain, they coud do a decent TTT, and he has Bambrilla, De la Cruz and Bouet to work in the mountains if he get the pink in the ITT, but I would like Porte got.And I think that in the mountains Saxo will put his step.

Anyway Rigo was best young rider climbing with the best most of the stages working for Cavendish on the sprints, he was second working for Wiggins at the begining of the Giro, he was 5 last Romandie (he was just preparing the Giro) working for Allaphiliphe, so I just ask for Rigo dont Work. if he has people to protect him on the flat and hilly stages, it is not the same that other teams, but it is enough.

About Zakarin. If he is, as a lot of people say and as he look, a big promise and a talented rider to built and to learn about the big races, the only thing we need to know is how he managed in 3 weaks. if he is a rider with a genetic for three weeks, he should be one of the most important riders in next years. But we dont know that, even we dont know that about Porte, but he was 7 in his first Giro, and later 19 in the Tour working, so he is not bad. how good?, we will see.

GC of Giro Bio.

1. USA DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd BLS 34h41'11" 25
2. ITA ARU Fabio - 25" 19
3. ITA PENASA Pierre Paolo - 01'10" 15
4. ITA DI SERAFINO Matteo - 02'10" 12
5. ITA CIAVATTA Matteo - 03'49" 9
6. ITA ZARDINI Edoardo - 05'12" 7
7. ITA DE IESO Donato - 05'36" 5
8. ITA FORMOLO Davide - 07'03" 3
9. RUS ZAKARIN Ilnur TIK 07'07" 2

If some people think in Italy that Formolo could win this Giro why not Zakarin. he did that after to be stoped, so it is not the same that Aru or Dombroski That could means two things, and one of them it is that he is really good rider, and for me his performance in Romandia and Basque country show that, becouse this is 2015. He said he has improve a lot in the mountains by losing weithg, so he is ready to do a great performance in the Giro.

But anyway, for me there are stronger people, and I dont think he could be all the Giro at the level of the big names. Maybe in the future, althoug there are people that had his oportunity, as Vd broeck and later never was a best moment, so when the train pass you have to get it, and maybe now it is his train.

Apparently the mother of Darwin Atapuma (BMC) died yesterday. BMC say that he has decided to start the Giro.

Condolences to Darwin and his family. If he can stick it out, hopefully he can win a stage for his mom.

TRENDING THREADS