• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'Italia 2015

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
carton said:
Jagartrott said:
Boy is that a terrible remark.
Three of the six riders of that TTT are no longer with Quickstep (Velits, Vandewalle and Chavanel) and one of the squad that won the TTT in 2012 (Boonen) is present now. Moreover, at the world championships, the distance is totally different (50+ km). This one is less than 20 km. Several of the others should be able to do a good short TTT (Boonen, Sabatini, Keisse, Serry, Uran, Vakoc). I'm pretty sure they'll end up in the top-3. I'll agree with you that they could've used one more talented climber.
Really? I like Ettix. I enjoy seeing Terpstra, Stybar, Kwiatkowski, Lampaert, Alaphilippe and Co. going off the front. I know they're saving most of those guys for the Tour and that their budget is limited. But if they want Uran to contend for another podium they should at least give him a GC focused team like last year, when he wore the pink for several days and came one stage away from keeping it: Brambilla, De Gendt, Keisse, Pauwels, Petacchi, Poels, Sierry, Vermote.

De Gendt did anything to help Rigo last year, Poels yes, but not too much. Branbrilla is a super domestique and he is again there.

Rigo is the only favourite without any other rider to play in GC as could have Contador, Porte or Aru, but he has a strong team to suport him in the plain, they coud do a decent TTT, and he has Bambrilla, De la Cruz and Bouet to work in the mountains if he get the pink in the ITT, but I would like Porte got.And I think that in the mountains Saxo will put his step.

Anyway Rigo was best young rider climbing with the best most of the stages working for Cavendish on the sprints, he was second working for Wiggins at the begining of the Giro, he was 5 last Romandie (he was just preparing the Giro) working for Allaphiliphe, so I just ask for Rigo dont Work. if he has people to protect him on the flat and hilly stages, it is not the same that other teams, but it is enough.

About Zakarin. If he is, as a lot of people say and as he look, a big promise and a talented rider to built and to learn about the big races, the only thing we need to know is how he managed in 3 weaks. if he is a rider with a genetic for three weeks, he should be one of the most important riders in next years. But we dont know that, even we dont know that about Porte, but he was 7 in his first Giro, and later 19 in the Tour working, so he is not bad. how good?, we will see.
brambilla isn't riding the giro

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Guys, i have a question!

Which of the following players do you think will perform best in the giro?

Bisolti
Monsalve
Elissonde
Ruffoni

Thank you! :)

Ryo Hazuki said:
Taxus4a said:
carton said:
Jagartrott said:
Boy is that a terrible remark.
Three of the six riders of that TTT are no longer with Quickstep (Velits, Vandewalle and Chavanel) and one of the squad that won the TTT in 2012 (Boonen) is present now. Moreover, at the world championships, the distance is totally different (50+ km). This one is less than 20 km. Several of the others should be able to do a good short TTT (Boonen, Sabatini, Keisse, Serry, Uran, Vakoc). I'm pretty sure they'll end up in the top-3. I'll agree with you that they could've used one more talented climber.
Really? I like Ettix. I enjoy seeing Terpstra, Stybar, Kwiatkowski, Lampaert, Alaphilippe and Co. going off the front. I know they're saving most of those guys for the Tour and that their budget is limited. But if they want Uran to contend for another podium they should at least give him a GC focused team like last year, when he wore the pink for several days and came one stage away from keeping it: Brambilla, De Gendt, Keisse, Pauwels, Petacchi, Poels, Sierry, Vermote.

De Gendt did anything to help Rigo last year, Poels yes, but not too much. Branbrilla is a super domestique and he is again there.

Rigo is the only favourite without any other rider to play in GC as could have Contador, Porte or Aru, but he has a strong team to suport him in the plain, they coud do a decent TTT, and he has Bambrilla, De la Cruz and Bouet to work in the mountains if he get the pink in the ITT, but I would like Porte got.And I think that in the mountains Saxo will put his step.

Anyway Rigo was best young rider climbing with the best most of the stages working for Cavendish on the sprints, he was second working for Wiggins at the begining of the Giro, he was 5 last Romandie (he was just preparing the Giro) working for Allaphiliphe, so I just ask for Rigo dont Work. if he has people to protect him on the flat and hilly stages, it is not the same that other teams, but it is enough.

About Zakarin. If he is, as a lot of people say and as he look, a big promise and a talented rider to built and to learn about the big races, the only thing we need to know is how he managed in 3 weaks. if he is a rider with a genetic for three weeks, he should be one of the most important riders in next years. But we dont know that, even we dont know that about Porte, but he was 7 in his first Giro, and later 19 in the Tour working, so he is not bad. how good?, we will see.
brambilla isn't riding the giro

It is true, uff, it is not going to be the same, at least for the mountains.

Re:

Squirbos_19 said:
I'll make a somewhat wild prediction that only 2 of the top 4 favourites (Contador, Porte, Aru, Uran) will make the final podium.
You have to put a disclaimer to that prediction. You saw what happened last year at the Tour. So if you say bearing any disaster this is my prediction. In that case it is bold. Otherwise not.

Gigs_98 said:
Squirbos_19 said:
I'll make a somewhat wild prediction that only 2 of the top 4 favourites (Contador, Porte, Aru, Uran) will make the final podium.
To be honest there is noone who comes to my mind if I think about a gt podium except these four

Any of the riders has a very minimun possibility to be on the podium if all the rest get an illness...

But, real possibilities, with crases and illnes of the favourites, breakaways as the one allowed David Arroyo to be on the podium, there are a lot of riders that will be inside the normal:

Jurgen Van der Broek, Pozzovivo, Hesjedal, Cunego,Pellizotti, Zakarin, Intxausti, Igor Antón, Ruben Fernandez, Damiano Caruso, Kruijwijk, Ulissi, Niemec.

Trofimov, Cataldo, Landa, Kangert, Basso, Rogers, Formolo, Nieve, Chaves, Amador, Ion izaguirre, Atapuma, Acevedo, Geniez, Elissonde, Vandewale, Monfort, Slagter,...

Some of them has more possibilities than Arroyo had with Basso, Evans, Nibali, Vino, Sastre, etc...

Some of them has a little bit less, but no impossible. (some of the just depend of some problem of his team leader)

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
Squirbos_19 said:
You have to put a disclaimer to that prediction. You saw what happened last year at the Tour. So if you say bearing any disaster this is my prediction. In that case it is bold. Otherwise not.

Good point, I'll add to my post then. One of the outsiders will be better than 2 of the favourites and make the podium. I hope none of the favourites crash out but I can see 2 of them struggling to make the podium. And I hope someone has a breakthrough race, like Van den Broeck or Betancur.

However I posted this before stage 2 where several top 10 contenders lost time so my prediction has become less likely. Then again someone could get in a break like Pereiro or Arroyo so these riders can still have some hope.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site

Squirbos_19 said:
Escarabajo said:
Squirbos_19 said:

Good point, I'll add to my post then. One of the outsiders will be better than 2 of the favourites and make the podium. I hope none of the favourites crash out but I can see 2 of them struggling to make the podium. And I hope someone has a breakthrough race, like Van den Broeck or Betancur.

However I posted this before stage 2 where several top 10 contenders lost time so my prediction has become less likely. Then again someone could get in a break like Pereiro or Arroyo so these riders can still have some hope.

Well my prediction wasn't totally right with Porte abandoning, but Landa made the podium so that was a successful prediction. Landa had a great breakthrough

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

Squirbos_19 said:
Squirbos_19 said:
Escarabajo said:
Squirbos_19 said:

Well my prediction wasn't totally right with Porte abandoning, but Landa made the podium so that was a successful prediction. Landa had a great breakthrough

And what was actually special about it? :confused:
In most GTs you have surprises while favos drop out due crashes, illness, bad form...
I mean if you came up with naming names like Moinard will be near T-10, or that Amador will get in there... well, that would have been special.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Not sure these reactions were necessary. I never said this prediction was special, but prior to the Giro the whole podium talk was just about the top 4 (Contador, Uran, Aru and Porte) so went ahead and said that 2 wouldn't be good enough to make it. I realise it's not a 'special' prediction like the ones you mentioned but compared to all the talk prior to the Giro it was one against the popular opinion.

HiroAntagonist said:
Squirbos_19 said:
Yep, feels good, you should try it one day.

All that patting will make you go blind or grow hair on your palms... But by all means continue with the self congratulatory thing you have going.

Ok. I probably should have put a smiley on there as that comment was in jest, but by all means continue patting yourself on the back for belittling people on the internet ;)

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Just looked back at the top 10. Man...apart from the top 3 guys with showings from Hesjedal and Krujhoweveryouspellit, this was a pretty anonymous top 10. They kept mentioning Konig for some reason, but he didn't really do much. Then you have Damiano Caruso and Alexandre Geniez...who, what, they were in the race?! Guess it goes to show the field wasn't quite up to par. The racing between the top 3 was great, and a few other guys did some interesting things, but after that, what a dull list of names!

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Another footnote to extend the dead thread... and I apologize because this has probably ben discussed somewhere else before.

This year's Tinkoff-Saxo Giro team had two multiple Grand Tour winners on it (Basso, Contador). Anyone know when/if that has happened before in a Grand Tour?

Re:

Califootman said:
Another footnote to extend the dead thread... and I apologize because this has probably ben discussed somewhere else before.

This year's Tinkoff-Saxo Giro team had two multiple Grand Tour winners on it (Basso, Contador). Anyone know when/if that has happened before in a Grand Tour?

Savoldelli and Armstrong in Tour '05 springs to mind.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Califootman said:

Tour '09

TRENDING THREADS