• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 14: Conegliano – Valdobbiadene 34.1 km ITT

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
McNulty looking like a 45 year old Brit, still living with his mom, who just got hammered at the local pub.

EkifUQ_XUAE87e-

Good ride from Majka and Pozzo, very disappointing from Fuglsang and not really a convincing ITT from Nibali too. Almeida and Kelderman looking good, taking all that into consideration, I think it's safe to say we're going to have a very entertaining final week, with a lot of chaos and very little controlling of the race, since no team is strong enough to do so.

Given Almeida lost 30s on Etna and there are much harder mountains to come, god I can't believe I'm saying this, Wilco is the clear favourite here.
He lost 12s to the GC group, 24s to Kelderman’s attack, and finished st with Bilbao. And the remaining mountains are different to Etna. And if anything, Almeida’s getting stronger as this Giro goes on.

I’m firmly in the “everyone else will have to work very hard to take this from Almeida” camp.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm Dutch, I'm trying to imagine it, but my brain just goes 'Kelderman up there with Dumoulin' and I cringe.
I know right. Then again, when Dumoulin won the Giro he crushed the long ITT. So it's not really the same.
I do see Almeida falling away. But I don't really imagine Kelderman keeping his lead over the others. Even with this mediocre ITT I still see Nibali doing the thing he always does.

That being said. I noted Majka did a really good ITT for his standards today. But I have also a hard time picturing Majka winning a GT
It's a weird Giro.

I know right. Then again, when Dumoulin won the Giro he crushed the long ITT. So it's not really the same.
I do see Almeida falling away. But I don't really imagine Kelderman keeping his lead over the others. Even with this mediocre ITT I still see Nibali doing the thing he always does.

That being said. I noted Majka did a really good ITT for his standards today. But I have also a hard time picturing Majka winning a GT
It's a weird Giro.
The 2017 Giro was a clusterfuck, sure, but Dumoulin was amazing in the first 2 weeks. To me Oropa is a top 10 climbing performance of the decade. He did get lucky in other regards, but in general Dumoulin having 1 GT win to his name to this date is a big case of underperforming IMO.

Majka has had his random good ITTs in the past, but he's never reeaally made the difference to other GC guys in the mountains.

I don't think today was a particularly extroardinary ITT from Almeida or Kelderman. It could've been much worse for Nibali.

I'm Dutch, I'm trying to imagine it, but my brain just goes 'Kelderman up there with Dumoulin' and I cringe.
Why would you cringe, it's not Kelderman's fault that the field has been decimated and that most of the GT talent rode the Tour. Still I get the feeling that this race has more surprises in store...........I think the the Dutch can cope with another grand tour win if it happens...........

Why would you cringe, it's not Kelderman's fault that the field has been decimated and that most of the GT talent rode the Tour. Still I get the feeling that this race has more surprises in store...........I think the the Dutch can cope with another grand tour win if it happens...........
When I think of Kelderman the first thing that comes to my mind is this interview where he's basically getting trolled really hard and where his utter lack of charisma is really showing.

Honestly, I don't really care about Fuglsang dropping out of the top-10. It's Hindley dropping out that's the issue! At least Nibali is still up there, winning* me that CQ game.
I might have to take away my own citizenship.

*By "winning", I obviously mean "keeping me out of bottom-10!"

I kind of enjoy this Giro though. And actually I think this lines up for pretty great racing (if mountain stages don't get cancelled) in the last week.

From a fan point a bit disappointed by Konrad's TT because he already showed he can do better but if he lost a bit of his TT power and has actually better climbing legs instead (which might not be the case but for now I hope it is), he might still finish high.

TRENDING THREADS