• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020

I don't think we have a Giro thread yet, so I guess here it is.
I was wondering about the gc field today. Now that Evenepoel is out, there really don't seem to be that many exciting riders targeting this race. Nibali will be there, as well as Carapaz and Yates (I think) and who knows what Fuglsang 2.0 is capable of. But overall that seems almost 2012-esque bad which probably means Michael Woods will win?
Did I forget anyone meaningful or is the favorite for this race really just whatever TdF favorite crashes out there first?

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't think we have a Giro thread yet, so I guess here it is.
I was wondering about the gc field today. Now that Evenepoel is out, there really don't seem to be that many exciting riders targeting this race. Nibali will be there, as well as Carapaz and Yates (I think) and who knows what Fuglsang 2.0 is capable of. But overall that seems almost 2012-esque bad which probably means Michael Woods will win?
Did I forget anyone meaningful or is the favorite for this race really just whatever TdF favorite crashes out there first?
Steven Kru could end up riding the Giro after dislocating his shoulder.

• Wow
Do you think someone like Thomas could switch to the Giro? I really don't see much of a point for him going to the Tour, but if it's about preparation, he could beway better in the Giro... and the route should be good for him?
La Gazzetta reports that Ineos could send Carapaz to the Tour, if he does well in Emilia after that crash in Poland. Having both Froome and Thomas totally out of shape while going up against a flying Jumbo team is a huge risk, I'd send one of them to the Giro.

La Gazzetta reports that Ineos could send Carapaz to the Tour, if he does well in Emilia after that crash in Poland. Having both Froome and Thomas totally out of shape while going up against a flying Jumbo team is a huge risk, I'd send one of them to the Giro.
Imagine Thomas struggling with motivation to get himself in Tour shape then being sent to the Giro.

Imagine Thomas struggling with motivation to get himself in Tour shape then being sent to the Giro.
Thomas rode a good Tour last year after a horrible preparation, he could actually be good. Froome on the other hand looked like a good domestique in the Tour de l'Ain and went backwards durning the Dauphine, that's concerning for the team. Add Bernals back problems and it doesn't look great atm.

TRENDING THREADS