• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2021 stage 16: Sacile - Cortina d'Ampezzo 212km

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

??

• Total voters
And last year TdF was of course parade of multiple GT winners such Porte, Landa, Mas and Lopez from 3rd to 6th place overall :)
Just remember Roglic in Giro 2019 got beaten quite easilly in Mountains.
and Bernal. Everybody is at higher level in TDF than in Giro, we can speculate why that is in another subforum.
This Bernal isnt any better than 2019 or 2020, he would get droped by the JV train again. Thats the one thing I noticed from this Giro, the Ineos train is quite slow, I am guessing Bernal doesnt like quick pacing

Impassioned plea to the cycling fraternity and your frustration sums it all up. The truth is we as fans have no influence on their thinking these days. Whether the broadcasting team would have provided good oictures anyway would have been in doubt. Its about money and team directors want to protect their assets. The pressure they will put on the Race Directeur would be immense.

Theres no money without fans. The riders should keep that in mind with this lack of racing stuff they pull too often nowadays on Grand Tours.

As fans we have more power here in comparison to other sports as there's hardly any of us anyway

Reactions: Sandisfan
and Bernal.
This Bernal isnt any better than 2019 or 2020, he would get droped by the JV train again. Thats the one thing I noticed from this Giro, the Ineos train is quite slow, I am guessing Bernal doesnt like quick pacing
You could be right, but I feel that maybe a bit of a reach. Remember Ineos are a key climber down here so it’s in their interest to keep things together and not expose Martinez early.
Plus, it’s not like EF were riding piano today, from the pictures we were shown before they were lost there were only 7 guys left in the GC group.

For some historical context of racing conducted in the mountains in atrocious conditions I suggest you watch stage 15 of the 1998 TdF or the 1988 Gavia stage won by Andy Hampsten.

If I recall that 1998 stage over the Galibier, Bobby Julich overshot a hairpin on the descent of the Galibier in pursuit on Pantani.

If today was worse conditions then the race organizers made the right decision. But that isn't what I am reading. Bike racing is inherently dangerous. But these are professionals supported by professional teams.
I've seen the AH GdI stage a few times and probably saw the TdF stage, but I'm not recalling it now.

and Bernal. Everybody is at higher level in TDF than in Giro, we can speculate why that is in another subforum.
Is there anything else that Bernal can do for you? maybe putting 5 minutes on the second every day so you could say he is acceptable?
Bernal also defeated the King of Willunga and over the hill Valverde!!!

Reactions: Cookster15
Who's KB and isn't that very much the role of the EWP panel?

What's the point of the EWP if there's going to be another entity lulling around waiting to make these decisions? Independent from whom or what exactly? From cycling altogether or something?

Of course, events like today already call into question the purpose of the EWP meeting/panel - all quite pointless if riders can simply bully the race director into doing what they want.

Adding another "panel" when the current mechanism is already being superseded by ad-hoc decision-making ignored sounds like a joke about bureaucracy or the Soviet Union or something.
I’m KB. The current protocol requires a meeting between the organisers reps, riders reps, team reps, uci reps and commissaires reps. Pretty much everyone involved has a vested interest in a particular decision. using an independent panel who assess the situation at the start of the day and determine that the race is safe to proceed would remove any competing interests. This is what is currently done for anti-doping, which was set up specifically because of worries about rider safety, and in other industries. It’s not “another entity” as it replaces the current meeting between stakeholders The EWP requires.

For some historical context of racing conducted in the mountains in atrocious conditions I suggest you watch stage 15 of the 1998 TdF or the 1988 Gavia stage won by Andy Hampsten.

If I recall that 1998 stage over the Galibier, Bobby Julich overshot a hairpin on the descent of the Galibier in pursuit on Pantani.

If today was worse conditions then the race organizers made the right decision. But that isn't what I am reading. Bike racing is inherently dangerous. But these are professionals supported by professional teams.
Julich indeed overshot a corner trying to put on his rain jacket and was lucky to not collide with a camper. Braked soon enough.

Hampsten didn't win in Bormio, actually because he was trying to put on his rain jacket for minutes and was too pride to stop for it. Breukink, with Peter Post back in the team car yelling at him how to take which corner, closed the gap he had atop the Gavia in the descent. Hampsten's gearing was frozen, so he couldn't shift and was unable to jump onto the Dutchmans wheel, once he passed him.

Pantani actually did stop underneath the Galibier to take on his rain jacket aside the road.

The moment when Almeida dropped Bernal

E2LlDKFXsAQa78F

• Love
Reactions: carolina
oh man, dont get upset;his doing great just dont think he can win the TDF over Rogla and Pogacar; he was the favorite here and is doing what he is supposed to
I wasn't expecting this from Bernal in this Giro. I tell you that. This performance exceeded my expectations. Especially his attitude. Similar to Carapaz in attitude but I think his ceiling is higher than Carapaz. We need everyone on top conditions but we all know that it will never happen.

May 24, 2021
Visit site
numbers don't lie....he set a record time on stage 14.

Feels like 1 month ago Carapaz was rated as high as Bernal lol.
Probably. But Bernal attitude here changes a lot. This Giro he had all the pressure on his shoulders. That is something that he didn't have in 2019's Tour. He has attacked every time that he has had the chance and the strength. I'd say he has a chance to defeat Roglic, just like Carapaz has managed to do in the past. But the jury is still pending for godly Pogacar.

And this is the attitude that could kill Pogacar. Had Roglic had the attitude of Bernal or Carapaz during stage 18 of the Tour I am sure he would have put time on Pogacar. That is what makes champions. Like Nibali in 2014. Trying to kill the opposition in the terrain that favored him. Or anywhere that he could. My 2 cents!

Last edited:
Julich indeed overshot a corner trying to put on his rain jacket and was lucky to not collide with a camper. Braked soon enough.

Hampsten didn't win in Bormio, actually because he was trying to put on his rain jacket for minutes and was too pride to stop for it. Breukink, with Peter Post back in the team car yelling at him how to take which corner, closed the gap he had atop the Gavia in the descent. Hampsten's gearing was frozen, so he couldn't shift and was unable to jump onto the Dutchmans wheel, once he passed him.

Pantani actually did stop underneath the Galibier to take on his rain jacket aside the road.

Yeh, someone else corrected me about Hampsten. But the main point was racing has been conducted in far worse conditions than today. and nobody got hurt.

TRENDING THREADS