• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On the other hand the lack of infrastructure/poor roads and remoteness is probably one of the things that makes it quieter and such an amazing place to ride (better than the hordes of motorbikes in some parts of the dolomites/alps) so in that sense I'm not so disappointed it's going to stay as it is!

Definitely, it matters a lot for riding experience. I always try to avoid busy roads. Hordes of motorbikes were the reason I didn't decide to ride some iconic passes in the Dolomites and sticked with trekking for my whole stay. OTOH a few weeks back I tried one of the most difficult ascents in my country and there was basically zero traffic and a nice, quiet road in woods. Good place to suffer.

Last edited:
You are right, I just watched that stage a couple weeks ago. The first attacks were done in Sampeyre (I believe only Totschnig attacked on the Fauniera) and they crashed while chasing Simoni's group in the descent of Sampeyre.
Popo crashed, if I remember correctly. In 2004 he was seen as Gibo's biggest rival before the race started.
Wasn't the descent really on the limit with fresh snow/ice on the road?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Popo crashed, if I remember correctly. In 2004 he was seen as Gibo's biggest rival before the race started.
Wasn't the descent really on the limit with fresh snow/ice on the road?

Yes, particulary on top.

But I don't think Popo crashed. I might be forgetting some details but he was hanging off the back during the climb to Fauniera or Sampeyre but eventually attacked in Sampeyre. He was on the front with Frigo on the beginning of the final climb to Chianale (with Simoni a few seconds back with Totschnig) but bonked completely midway through the climb and lost 3 minutes to Frigo and Simoni.

Yes, particulary on top.

But I don't think Popo crashed. I might be forgetting some details but he was hanging off the back during the climb to Fauniera or Sampeyre but eventually attacked in Sampeyre. He was on the front with Frigo on the beginning of the final climb to Chianale (with Simoni a few seconds back with Totschnig) but bonked completely midway through the climb and lost 3 minutes to Frigo and Simoni.
What stage # was that? Sounds like it’s definitely worth a watch if I can find a video.

Yes, particulary on top.

Yeah, you're right, Popo had a hunger knock.

Ok so we have this

file.php

That is stage 7. Props to the user Pafer1 on Cicloweb for finding it.
Besides being a pretty good medium mountain stage (that Monte Scuro climb is around 6 km at 10%), this does clear some fog in the first week. Monte di Procida must be stage 8, and from there they'll transfer to Isernia.
Moreover, there will very likely be another Calabrian stage to reach Diamante.

In unrelated news, a local article stated that the Foligno - Perugia ITT is still on the cards, but frankly I don't see how it would fit anywhere in the 2nd week so I'll just ignore it.

1 Hungary ITT
2 Hungary
3 Hungary
4 ??? - Etna?
5 ??? - Taormina
6 Somewhere in Calabria - Somewhere in Calabria
7 Diamante - Potenza
8 Paestum - Monte di Procida
9 Isernia - Blockhaus
rest
10 Pescara - Jesi
11 ??? - somewhere on the Adriatic
12 Faenza - Reggio Emilia (mandatory straight/pan flat stage)
13 Acqui Terme - Savona?Albenga?Celle?Monte Beigua?
14 Asti? ITT? Cuneo? Somewhere else in Piedmont?
15 Santena - Cogne
rest
16 ??? - Tirano
17 mountain stage in the Garda area or in Trentino/SüdTirol
18 ??? - Martellago
19 Lignano - Castelmonte
20 ??? - Tre Cime? Nevegal? Fedaia??
21 Verona ITT

Basilicata is notorious for godawful road surfaces and the roads this stage would take are no different. Does it mean there were some major road works done in the province? Monte Scuro is Sacro Monte di Viggiano. Back in 2014 a punchy stage finished in the town. They did not climbed it to the top. It is theoretically possible as there's plenty of space for a MTF finish. The next stage could start from even Potenza or as far away as Eboli/Battipaglia. Stuff like Muro Lucano or Tito could also be viable?

Basilicata is notorious for godawful road surfaces and the roads this stage would take are no different. Does it mean there were some major road works done in the province? Monte Scuro is Sacro Monte di Viggiano. Back in 2014 a punchy stage finished in the town. They did not climbed it to the top. It is theoretically possible as there's plenty of space for a MTF finish. The next stage could start from even Potenza or as far away as Eboli/Battipaglia. Stuff like Muro Lucano or Tito could also be viable?
as far as we know the following stage should start in Paestum. But it's not certain obviously.

oh btw, I forgot to include a couple minor rumours in the route. Rivarolo Canavese might host a stage start, which would be perfect for stage 15. Since Santena should still be a lock, that might be the start of stage 14 instead. It is still not known where stage 13 finishes, but even if it finishes in Liguria, the transfer to Santena should still be just possible. The second week overall is still very unclear...

1 Hungary (not ITT?)
2 Hungary (ITT?)
3 Hungary (ITT?)
4 ??? - Etna?
5 ??? - Taormina
7 Diamante - Potenza
9 Isernia - Blockhaus
rest
10 Pescara - Jesi
13 ??? - Piedmont or somewhere near Savona
14 Santena? - Cuneo? Somewhere else in Piedmont?
15 Rivarolo Canavese? - Cogne
rest
16 ??? - Tirano
18 ??? - Martellago
19 Lignano - Castelmonte
21 Verona ITT

Do we know what way they'll go up etna? Think I heard zafferina mentioned(?) and this would make a tailwind more likely wouldn't it so maybe better racing? I definitely remember headwind being used as an excuse as to why gaps were so small in the past.

I mean, the fact that roads get repaved when the Giro comes is known all across Italy.

oh btw, I forgot to include a couple minor rumours in the route. Rivarolo Canavese might host a stage start, which would be perfect for stage 15. Since Santena should still be a lock, that might be the start of stage 14 instead. It is still not known where stage 13 finishes, but even if it finishes in Liguria, the transfer to Santena should still be just possible. The second week overall is still very unclear...

1 Hungary (not ITT?)
2 Hungary (ITT?)
3 Hungary (ITT?)
4 ??? - Etna?
5 ??? - Taormina
7 Diamante - Potenza
9 Isernia - Blockhaus
rest
10 Pescara - Jesi
13 ??? - Piedmont or somewhere near Savona
14 Santena? - Cuneo? Somewhere else in Piedmont?
15 Rivarolo Canavese? - Cogne
rest
16 ??? - Tirano
18 ??? - Martellago
19 Lignano - Castelmonte
21 Verona ITT

What is the nature of Stage 8 to Monte di Procida? One for the sprinters? (Google maps tell me that Monte de Procida is more or less located on a small island near Naples)

The Stage from Pescara to Jesi? Can we expects walls?

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS