Giro d'Italia LIVE broadcast!

May 13, 2009
3,093
3
0
hbrown said:
Watch the Giro d’Italia LIVE on TV and on-line at Universal Sports. The broadcast starts at 10am (ET) and re-airs for prime time on TV at 7pm (PT) along with on-demand coverage and highlights on-line.

Cycling Channel: http://www.universalsports.com/cycling

Giro Broadcast: http://www.universalsports.com/premium

Universal Sports TV: http://www.universalsports.tv

Thanks. I watched it last year on the feed. Great stuff. DirectTV still doesn't carry Universal Sports, so I'm very glad to see it's still available as feed (it also makes it look like I'm working very hard in front of the computer ;)
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
hbrown said:
Watch the Giro d’Italia LIVE on TV and on-line at Universal Sports. The broadcast starts at 10am (ET) and re-airs for prime time on TV at 7pm (PT) along with on-demand coverage and highlights on-line.

Cycling Channel: http://www.universalsports.com/cycling

Giro Broadcast: http://www.universalsports.com/premium

Universal Sports TV: http://www.universalsports.tv

Thanks for the great coverage. A couple questions

Will you have any live commentary on the live feed?
Will you be starting earlier then 10:00 EST some days? The stages usually end around 11;00-11:30 EST
 
Oct 25, 2009
344
0
0
Excellent news except for that part of my body that needs sleep in advance of early morning rides here in Oz.:p

Come on SBS and/or One or anyone really - get with it and let us have have it on the big screen live.
 
Mar 13, 2009
571
0
0
In East coast Au and I am not happy with the 20 odd hour delay for the SBS2 highlights package, we see the highlights about the time the next day starts... Also I don't think they are doing stage one??? or have I missed it
SBS have said the Italians want too much for live coverage
 
Mar 8, 2009
32
0
0
For those in Aus, the Giro is live on Foxtel from 10pm most nights I think. Eurosport UK is now part of the Foxtel 'Sports' package - it is a must. I think SBS are also going to be putting the Tour of Cal on live which means TV in the office in the morning!
 
Mar 13, 2009
571
0
0
I will bet ToC is due to the ASO working with them on Media and SBS bought a package, TdF, P-R, highlights from all ASO marketed events (including Dakar)

Maybe we will start to see more of the Vuelta now ASO has 50%?
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Notso Swift said:
In East coast Au and I am not happy with the 20 odd hour delay for the SBS2 highlights package, we see the highlights about the time the next day starts... Also I don't think they are doing stage one??? or have I missed it
SBS have said the Italians want too much for live coverage

But they are willing to show the ToC live which is not an overly exciting event. The SBS commentator is Douglas Dean for il giro. Hopefully better than Paddy "I cant talk properley" Agnew.

I would rather no california coverage at all for 2 main stages live of il giro. SBS will regret this badly if evans wins this as I don't see Rogers beating Levi at Cali.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
But they are willing to show the ToC live which is not an overly exciting event. The SBS commentator is Douglas Dean for il giro. Hopefully better than Paddy "I cant talk properley" Agnew.

I would rather no california coverage at all for 2 main stages live of il giro. SBS will regret this badly if evans wins this as I don't see Rogers beating Levi at Cali.

But you're a cycling fan. They're not interested in cycling fans, they're interested in snaring the lucrative large audience of casual fans, so they follow the Uniballer. You and I know California will be a pretty dull race and that the Giro is almost always the most exciting Grand Tour. But casual fans don't know that, and why would the TV executives try to sell them that when it's easier to go "Lance Armstrong, hurr hurr"?
 
May 2, 2010
1,692
0
0
dse1969 said:
For those in Aus, the Giro is live on Foxtel from 10pm most nights I think. Eurosport UK is now part of the Foxtel 'Sports' package - it is a must. I think SBS are also going to be putting the Tour of Cal on live which means TV in the office in the morning!

i have greatly enjoyed the eurosport addition to foxtel.
 
Giro Live

Eurosport have done a good job with live coverage of the classics this year. I will stick with them. The commentary has been no worse than Sherwen and Liggett and often better by concentrating on the racing and not on personal stories and history lessons. Sean Kelly is sometimes on there along with other former riders. Better than listening to Sherwen's stories which always seem to sound the same. Not to mention the migratory birds, canals and castles commentary.
 
May 14, 2009
147
0
0
I've already subscribed to the on-demand video, which cost $15.

After years of frustrations with cycling.tv I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and reliability of Universal's free video last year. I suspect and hope the paid version this year will be even better.

I just hope they provide a way to access the video without having spoilers blaring all around.

Anyway, glad Universal has this and I'll be able to see every second of the race I want to.
 
Oct 25, 2009
591
1
0
GoGarmin said:
I've already subscribed to the on-demand video, which cost $15.

After years of frustrations with cycling.tv I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and reliability of Universal's free video last year. I suspect and hope the paid version this year will be even better.

I just hope they provide a way to access the video without having spoilers blaring all around.

Anyway, glad Universal has this and I'll be able to see every second of the race I want to.
Totally agree. Last year I had to train myself not to look at certain parts of the page while I loaded the on-demand video the night of the stage. More than once I screwed up and saw the stage winner's name before I was able to watch.
 
Tom T. said:
Totally agree. Last year I had to train myself not to look at certain parts of the page while I loaded the on-demand video the night of the stage. More than once I screwed up and saw the stage winner's name before I was able to watch.

Same here. I also took my glasses off if I was wearing them.
 
Jul 28, 2009
898
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
But you're a cycling fan. They're not interested in cycling fans, they're interested in snaring the lucrative large audience of casual fans, so they follow the Uniballer. You and I know California will be a pretty dull race and that the Giro is almost always the most exciting Grand Tour. But casual fans don't know that, and why would the TV executives try to sell them that when it's easier to go "Lance Armstrong, hurr hurr"?
I cannot believe that this would be the case. IMO most Australians whether casual or otherwise would rather see one of their own vying for victory rather than LA in some other obscure race. Casual US fans maybe but not Oz. It's probably just a shortsighted decision by someone without much of a clue or something budgetary involving a package as someone else pointed out. Probably didn't want to fork out additionally for the Giro although curiously they are showing highlights.
 
Oct 25, 2009
344
0
0
Notso Swift said:
I will bet ToC is due to the ASO working with them on Media and SBS bought a package, TdF, P-R, highlights from all ASO marketed events (including Dakar)

Maybe we will start to see more of the Vuelta now ASO has 50%?

Makes sense.

Not sure why RCS would not want to ask a little less for the rights in Australia and help build its market for the future (not to mention to realise some revenue on the way on a low marginal cost). Clearly no one will pay what is being asked (I seem to recall Zomegan giving way on US rights last year at the last gasp but no sign of that happening here). Maybe there were constraints imposed by the terms of the deal for the Eurosport feed to Foxtel?

It would be nice of course if RCS would do the right thing by SBS which is making great efforts to promote the sport in this country ... not to mention us of course! Better sign up for Foxtel.
 
Apr 20, 2009
10
0
0
Tom T. said:
Totally agree. Last year I had to train myself not to look at certain parts of the page while I loaded the on-demand video the night of the stage. More than once I screwed up and saw the stage winner's name before I was able to watch.

Like the others, I also had this exact problem - I think about 50% of the time I would accidentally see the stage winner - usually it was because they always put the thumbnail of the stage winner by the link! (pretty easy to notice a jersey in a picture, even if you're trying to avoid looking). Other than that, I enjoyed Universal's coverage.

Does anyone know if they will be covering it for free this year, and if so, what the difference is with the "premium"? Can't tell at all from their site.
 
May 14, 2009
147
0
0
I have looked at Universal's premium package (as a subscriber) and it looks to me like you can directly link to where the videos will be and there will be no spoilers on that page.

I can't say this will definitively be the case after the results are actually concluded, but as of right now I believe that will be the case.
 
Mar 29, 2010
70
0
0
titan_90 said:
Too bad I can't get your feeds to work in Linux:(

about the only op system universal sports works well in is firefox/mozilla or safari. if you have a mac, you need to have an intel processor.

as far as i know, universal sports is only for the united states. and the 14.99/mo only gets you the 30 days, so get your giro watching in while you can, cause after the 30 days, you can't access it any more.

hopefully the commentary on the live stream for universal sports will NOT be the usual american commentators. i find them very annoying. especially the over pronunciation of the riders's names.
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0
Agree that Eurosport coverage is generally very good, and getting better in the UK now with coverage of the domestic Premier calendar too!

Just a shame the Giro isn't filmed in HD...though we shouldn't get too choosy!

As an aside, for those in Europe, even though the Analogue astra satellite has now been switched off (or so I'm led to believe) Eurosport is still available Free-to-Air at 19degE for those not willing to pay subscriptions to SKY etc. (only in German -but theres always the audio feed on the web!):)