• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 15: Conegliano - Gardeccia-Val di Fassa 229km

stage_15_map_600.jpg

Many of us are disapointed with the elmination of the Crostis from stage 14.

In such situations one can either feel sorry for oneself, or one can look to the future.

The 2011 Giro makes this decision easy.

Stage 15 now has the burden of trying to live up to the label of being the hardest stage of the hardest grand tour in decades.

One look at the profile shows it will not disappoint.

stage_15_profile_600.jpg

Rather than the monster finishes offered by previous mountain stages, with 15 Zomegan went for the other option.
Measuring at 229 km in length and offering no less than 5 Dolomite beasts to be tamed, stage 15 provides action from the word go.

While none of the 5 climbs make that special "giro supermountain" catergory, all of them would make cat 1 or higher at the Tour. Body blows rather than knockouts.

Think of it as a one day race on steroids.

Only one day races dont tend to come after 2 brutal mtfs. Nor do they finish 2000 metres above from where they started. Each climb represents a step on the stairway to hell, that brings the riders to this years CIma Coppi

The stage itself starts just above sea level, at 62 metres in Conegliano. 20km in the riders rise to over 100m altitude.

The 2011 Giro will never again go under this figure.

To see just why this stage is so special, we need only to look at the very first climb.

Starting 28.8km into the race, the Piancavallo would in other circumstances have pages dedicated to it. As it happens one will struggle to find a mention yet alone a profile in the guidbooks.

With 14km at 7.8%, its minor role in the stage only serves to prove just how brutal the riders challenge is.

But sometimes it is better to just let the an image tell the story.

The Piancavallo was used as an MTF in the 1998 Giro.

This was the result.

2470437033_fb679ed8ae.jpg

With an alltitude gain of over 1200 metres the riders will have found themselevs half way to the Cima coppi. Unfortunately for them, the descent brings them all the way back down to 400.

Sporadic climbing and descending makes up the next 50km of the stage until the riders are brought to the foot of the next big challenge.

The Forcella Cibiana maitains an impressive of 7.2 % for exactly 10km, but this is not enough to save it from being the weakest climb of the day.

For purposes of brevity, one should assume that every climb in this stage has a hair raising descent. The Forcella Cibiana is no different.

From here on in, the climbs come thick and fast.

Next is the 2011 Cimma Coppi- the Passo Giau meaning riders looking for kom points or merely the distinction of being the first over will ride as if the banner at the top represented the end of the entire Giro.

This will however be no easy feat.

Climbing to the top of Giau essentially starts from the bottom of Cibiana though slow at first, it reaches higher gradients a number of times, before hitting the final 8 and a half km which have an average of 8.4 %,

Passo_Giau_Selva_di_Cadore_profile.gif

The first rider over will no doubt feel great pride at having conquered the Cimma Coppi, but there is no time to celebrate as what might prove to be another fast and furious descent follows.

With a loss of 1300 metres altitude in 16km, this descent will last some time and could provide a chance for the likes of Nibali and Arroyo to gain back time or even attack.

Having made it over the Giau, they may however simply try to catch some rest on the downhill.

Because even the Cimma Coppi proves no match for the 4th climb of the day.

Passo_Fedaia_1.jpg

The Passo Fedaia already proved itself as a worthy Giro mountain in the 2008 Giro when Emannuele Sella broke away with help from teammates to win. %

This beast is 13.2km at 8.3 % but even that is deceiving as the ramps fluctuate greatly. Kms 5 and 8 are 3.8% while km 4 is a mesely 2.2%.

Kilometers of 8% and 7% fight to keep the average up.

sella.jpg

But the climb saves the best till last as for the final, the grades continue to increase every km even as they go into double figures.

Km 9 is 10%, 10 and 11 are 11% and the final 2 are both 12%.

Up until now there has been much talk about how any stage riders might lose the Giro. By the time the heads of state cross the Fedaia, there will be those that have lost the Giro.

Passo_Fedaia-Caprile_profile.jpg

Once again a rapid and long descent follows the climb. An 8k section of flatter though still downhill grades lets any groups try to work together.

It brings the riders to the 5th and final climb, which like much of the stage can be deceptive.

The Gardeccia Val di Fasssa is short only by comparison to the other four. At 6.5 and coming right at the end of the weekend of hell, it will be anything but short . Moreover, Gardeccia is also by far the steepest. Though the average is 9.2% like Fedaila, it fluctuates. A start of 11% serves to drop some riders while 6.7 and 4% lets hem try to catch on.

stage_15_profile_lastkms_600.jpg

But after 225km of mostly climbing, the gradients then turn to 9.1% 11.4% and 11.5% and a final 500m of 10%.

They say a good story needs a good begining middle and end. The stage on Sunday starts with climbing, the middle is nonestop climbing, and ends with climbing. As good a formula as one can find.

The winner here whether from the breakaway or from the pack will instantly make themselves a cycling legend. The stage contains about as much climbing as you can possibly put into a day of cycling, and with a few exceptions these are the absolute best climbers in the world.

But there can only be one winner on Sunday.

While the riders were busy trying to find a way out of the Crostis, they overlooked the following stage. Sorry boys, its too late to take out the Fedaia.
We will have our queen stage yet.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Let's just say Contador and close the thread! :D

Seriously, though! Looking forward to this stage! Everyone who makes it deserves a rest day!

Parrulo said:
oh here we go again

can't wait for your description of the rest of the stage

(ya i caught this half way on its creation :p)

Is crap. I didnt have the emotion for this as i did for Crostis Zoncolan. The Zoncolan i tried to have a theme with different points of the stage representing a message from Zomegnan and some historical refferences. THis one is 1/3 of the length and I just mumble about facts and figures and hope a few nice pictures will make it allright:p

auscyclefan94 said:
This is one of the toughest Grand tour stages I have ever seen.

Actually i would think the last time they visited Fedaia it was an even better stage.

Giro_dItalia_Stage15_ARABBA-PASSO_FEDAIA.jpg

Having spent the last 3 hours looking at every little detail of every climb here i would say that the side they climbed from last time wasnt as steep but the rest of the stage seems more brutal.

The saving point here is that the last climb is the steepest so even if they dont do anything on the other 4, why not attack on 9.2% at Gardeccia with only 6k to go.

it still is pretty good hitch. you did a great job :)

i must admit i am also a bit depressed because of the crostis getting cut off. a bloody shame. hopefully zoncolan will have a rest next year and they use the crostis as a MTF

anyway this stage is amazing as well. i hope to see some good fire works from early on

The Hitch said:
Actually i would think the last time they visited Fedaia it was an even better stage.

Having spent the last 3 hours looking at every little detail of every climb here i would say that the side they climbed from last time wasnt as steep but the rest of the stage seems more brutal.

The saving point here is that the last climb is the steepest so even if they dont do anything on the other 4, why not attack on 9.2% at Gardeccia with only 6k to go.
They climbed from Caprile in 2008 and they're climbing from Caprile in 2011. Same route. You've also picked up the wrong side of the Passo Giau - Selva di Cadore is the base of the descent from the Giau before the Fedaia this year, I'm afraid.

The stage in '08 was very good with a number of key attackers, the maglia rosa dropping early, a 15-20 man group being formed early on with Contador and the other GC men in it behind Sella's breakaway group; Sella, Baliania and Rodríguez going away for a while, Nibali and Pérez Cuapio (who won over the Fedaia to Corvara via Pordoi and Campolongo) attacked on Falzarego and caught them on the descent, then you had the fun of the final climb to Fedaia.

Fedaia is possibly my favourite climb in the world; it's underrated for toughness, but it's still ridable enough to race it tactically rather than just grind for survival à la Kitzbüheler Horn, Angliru or Zoncolán, and besides, it's one of the most naturally beautiful of all climbs:

passo-fedaia.jpg

pezgiro06st19-sottoguda2.jpg

Serrai.jpg

177664511_0e4497e794.jpg

Ryaguas said:
WTF Cima Coppi wont be Televised?
Can We have Cima Coppi as a MTF next year??
Cima Coppi was an MTF in 2009 (Blockhaus). If they're doing Alpe d'Huez next year I wouldn't be surprised if the Colle dell'Agnello was the Cima Coppi, which would be early in the stage.

The Hitch said:

Giro_dItalia_Stage15_ARABBA-PASSO_FEDAIA.jpg

I've compared the two more than once before :p I think this year is definitely harder. Longer (229 vs 150?), more altitude gained (6.5km compared with ~5km), with a finish which is just as hard. The numbers are just off the top of my head, but I'm quite confident that Sunday is harder, on paper.

Ferminal said:
I've compared the two more than once before :p I think this year is definitely harder. Longer (229 vs 150?), more altitude gained (6.5km compared with ~5km), with a finish which is just as hard. The numbers are just off the top of my head, but I'm quite confident that Sunday is harder, on paper.

I just compared the Fedaia, not the whole stage, and the Fedaia side they are climbing this year is harder.

The rest of the stage from 2008 just looked harder, though i didnt look at the numbers.

Ah since that was only 150k it makes more sense.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
This looks like an excellent stage with potential for a break to succeed or someone other than Contador/Rujano to attack. Multiple climbs and probably GC riders wth defecits to make up after the Zoncolan. Riders can stop ****ing themselves over the Crostis and Zoncolan, and start actually racing.

The Hitch said:
I just compared the Fedaia, not the whole stage, and the Fedaia side they are climbing this year is harder.

The rest of the stage from 2008 just looked harder, though i didnt look at the numbers.

Ah since that was only 150k it makes more sense.

There's only two sides to the Fedaia.

From Caprile:
Passo_Fedaia-Caprile_profile.jpg

From Canazei:
Passo_Fedaia_Canazei_profile.jpg

In 2008 they climbed the other side of the Passo Giau, then looped back around over the Passo Falzarego back down to the base of the Passo Giau before climbing Fedaia from Caprile.

In 2011 they are arriving at Giau from the other side so not doing the Falzarego loop, just going straight up Fedaia from Caprile. The climb of Fedaia is the same.

Eshnar said:
Fedaia 2008 side == Fedaia 2011 side
as far as I know, that's the same side.

Libertine Seguros said:
There's only two sides to the Fedaia.

In 2008 they climbed the other side of the Passo Giau, then looped back around over the Passo Falzarego back down to the base of the Passo Giau before climbing Fedaia from Caprile.

In 2011 they are arriving at Giau from the other side so not doing the Falzarego loop, just going straight up Fedaia from Caprile. The climb of Fedaia is the same.

Oops, my bad.

I thought i read they did it from Canazei. In fact most of the profiles i found of Fedaia were from Canazei.

so they did it from Caprille then too.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
For me after stage 14 edits, this is the queen stage.
Of course no finish is quite like Zoncolan, but I expect big gaps again.
Unless ac cracks here, the race is over barring crash / mechanical disaster.