• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 3: Amsterdam-Middelburg (209km)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Andy99 said:
Adam Blythe 5th.

AWESOME:):)

Yes well done to him..another rider i've never heard of and a great ride. more reading required on him by myself on that one.

i also agree its time for people to get off Vino's back and let him get on with his racing, and that includes me to be fair. **** knows what happened to Sky- a total disaster but they live to fight another day.

Looking for David Millar to grab pink in a couple of days time but Garmin may have lost Vandevelde for the TTT which is not good.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm, but Weening on these steep Giro mountains with his insane 53x11 climbing style? He'll drop like a fly.

+ 1

I'm sure mollema can do at least 2 mins better then weening in the up coming mountains.
That being said, Weening has experience on his side.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm, but Weening on these steep Giro mountains with his insane 53x11 climbing style? He'll drop like a fly.
Yes, when you see him climb you wonder if someone can put this man out of his misery, but if it works for him...

The white jersey competition is quite interesting, BTW. Mollema is within 2 minutes from Porte, and behind them... nothing, in terms of climbers. Oh wait, Jackson Rodriguez, 5 minutes behind.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
Looking for David Millar to grab pink in a couple of days time but Garmin may have lost Vandevelde for the TTT which is not good.

How much will being down a man down (and a good time trialist too)hurt Garmin's chances at a pink jersey? Love to see Millar in pink after such a great early season.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
One thing which does surprise me is how well Evans can hold himself in the peloton, especially if you remember that last year in the TdF and vuelta his team mates were mentioning how bad he was in the peloton and needing constant help to remain anywhere near the front. He really made a big change in that this year, and he needs to be really happy with that, or else he would've already had no more chances to win the giro

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Vino is laughing, with the rest day, then the TTT.
Lucky that Cadel is used to riding solo. It was so painfully obvious today, it hurt.

Garzelli, Scarponi and Evans look to be the potential big time losers on Wednesday.

it could end up with Evans and Bookwalter in a 2 up time trial in the TTT so that will be quite hard against HTC, Sky, Astana as the other BMC riders look rubbish and will more than likely go out the back.

Barrus said:
One thing which does surprise me is how well Evans can hold himself in the peloton, especially if you remember that last year in the TdF and vuelta his team mates were mentioning how bad he was in the peloton and needing constant help to remain anywhere near the front. He really made a big change in that this year, and he needs to be really happy with that, or else he would've already had no more chances to win the giro
I still think Evans will win this Giro. And you know what, I'm rooting for him. He's really all on his own, I like the idea of the lone wolf fighting in the Italian mountains.

theyoungest said:
I still think Evans will win this Giro. And you know what, I'm rooting for him. He's really all on his own, I like the idea of the lone wolf fighting in the Italian mountains.

and it's good that of the two, it's Sastre a little further back. It will be very interesting to watch Sastre trying to claw some time back in the mountains.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

I'm not saying he won't win, or doesn't have any chances any more although me personally won't root for him, he's not my favourite). But had he been depending on his team to guide him through the peloton, as teammembers claimed he needed last year, he would already have been a couple of minutes behind the main contenders

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Rocksteady said:
How much will being down a man down (and a good time trialist too)hurt Garmin's chances at a pink jersey? Love to see Millar in pink after such a great early season.

I'd say thats a very big loss. I was looking for a close Battle between Garmin and Sky for the win maybe Astana getting up there. Losing somebody as good as Vandevelde will cost them no question.

sublimit said:
I'd say thats a very big loss. I was looking for a close Battle between Garmin and Sky for the win maybe Astana getting up there. Losing somebody as good as Vandevelde will cost them no question.
The good news for them is that they won't have to wait for Dan Martin anymore, when he's in trouble after 20k or so. His GC position is crap anyway.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes and Garmin can still get stages withTyler F, Millar can hang on to other teams and get grab a top 10 finish still. but I really fancy Sky for the TTT now.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
It's a shame that people might lose out on GC ambitions through no fault of their own by being caught behind a crash, but I have to say that it makes for very exciting watching. Today's stage was riveting, the situation was constantly changing.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bobdrige and Meyer in the 'mongolenwaaier' (the mongol echelon) at 14 minutes. These guys still have a lot to learn

Except the Australian in this forum, does anyone else put too much expectation on them?

They all too young and just come back from track.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
What happened to Vandevelde?

The peloton were going along a wide straight road, and there was a crash with 3-4 guys. One of them being VDV. Think Bruseghin also went down. Didn't see the crash itself.

It's funny how this team of misfits has gelled over the early part of this season:

giro-d-italia-2010-stage-3-maglia-rosa-ASTANA-450x600.jpg