• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 5: Novara - Novi Ligure (162km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 29, 2009
2,578
0
0
Visit site
It better be a bunch sprint as it is Thursday already and my head just can't cope with the idea of having had no bunch sprints in a GT's first week. I might start to dream too big.

So, yes, Greipel, as it looks he is recovered and will have a score to settle. The same can be said for Petacchi, who will have had to endure a long wait for normality on home soil too. Hmm. All things being equal I would pick Greipel. With Greipel on the way back from illness and Petacchi at home and in a front bunch, I'm gonna go out on a limb and favour my sprint "underdog".
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
It better be a bunch sprint as it is Thursday already and my head just can't cope with the idea of having had no bunch sprints in a GT's first week. I might start to dream too big.

So, yes, Greipel, as it looks he is recovered and will have a score to settle. The same can be said for Petacchi, who will have had to endure a long wait for normality on home soil too. Hmm. All things being equal I would pick Greipel. With Greipel on the way back from illness and Petacchi at home and in a front bunch, I'm gonna go out on a limb and favour my sprint "underdog".

Columbia say Greipel's actually feeling worse after the rest day
 
Mar 11, 2009
5,841
3
0
Visit site
If the Gorilla really is getting worse he might struggle to make it up the Terminillo on Sunday. The way Matti Goss is going surely it makes more sense for Columbia to ride for him if Greipel isn't in shape to produce the wins?
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Visit site
palmerq said:
I would say greipel is certainly not on the same level as cavendish or any of the great sprinters of the past.... I think he is very overrated with a great team he can win but he loses so many sprints I cannot say he is a very good sprinter..... he is in a time when all his ain rivals except cavendish are on the downward slope.... greipel is no match to petacchi..mccewan and even boonen of the old days .... I think greipel is a good sprinter with good speed **** he is lacking many skills to make him world class............... he still might win this stage though :S


I think he wont win much once he leaves columbia.....


i am not sure what was censored here by the forum :S

Agree...but not the way you are meaning it...Greipel is a better sprinter than Cav TODAY!! THIS SEASON!! Sure Cav was the best last season...but not right now. Plus...he (Greipel) has been sick...The only wins Cav has this season were in **** races...
 
TRDean said:
Agree...but not the way you are meaning it...Greipel is a better sprinter than Cav TODAY!! THIS SEASON!! Sure Cav was the best last season...but not right now. Plus...he (Greipel) has been sick...The only wins Cav has this season were in **** races...

- Honestly, until they compete against each other next year it is impossible to compare.

- Personally, I think Cavendish is in all likelihood much superior but that is purely subjective. Objectively we cannot judge until they race each other.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Visit site
I'm gonna go with McEwen...solely because I would love to see him get a win. If Brown wins...I will get a sex change operation!!
 
Mar 11, 2009
5,841
3
0
Visit site
We have the day's breakaway established:

Paul Voss (Milram) 149th @ 12:48
Yukiya Arashiro (Bbox) 134th @ 11:50
Jerome Pineau (Quick Step) 113th @11:24
Julien Fouchard (Cofidis) 104th @ 11:04

The gap is just under five minutes.
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,158
0
0
Visit site
It looks like Arashiro was the author of the break, in that he was the first to escape from the peloton. Seems like Voss is trying to stay in Green for as long as he can - has to justify Milram giving him a Green Focus I guess.

Would love for the break to stay away but I highly doubt it will survive.
 
trompe le monde said:
It looks like Arashiro was the author of the break, in that he was the first to escape from the peloton. Seems like Voss is trying to stay in Green for as long as he can - has to justify Milram giving him a Green Focus I guess.

Would love for the break to stay away but I highly doubt it will survive.

Sadly I don't think they will. Lampre are clearly angling for the stage, and Garmin are supporting them too. And Liqui is still doing work. No chance the current break survives