• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro io ti amo (Fantasy Giro)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Tappa 11 Sulmona – Chieti, 175 km

23r2v5i.jpg

w6r4oo.jpg

Last 15 kilometers
Planimetria

...before tomorrow we'll witness an italian version of the Amstel Gold Race.

Well, since in Italy it is mostly about wine, we are going to hit some of these narrow, brutal vineyard roads.

Starting in Sulmona, we don't waste any time and hit the Majella national park over Passo San Leonardo. It's not a difficult climb, but it's good to establish a big breakaway group. Riders who are not able to follow the pace here, will be in big trouble today. And yes, I mean race ending trouble. Over the next 30 kilometers, including a short counter slope, we are descending down to 100 meters altitude. Next up is the famous Passo Lanciano, where Ivan Basso started his 2006 destruction campaign. It is a long climb and you definitely have to be in top shape here.

Then from kilometer 65 to 105 we have a descent, some rolling false flat parts and an intermediate sprint in Filetto. After this part the race starts again with a total different kind of climbs. They are short and there will be some really steep parts, like you can see here, here or here.

In the city of Chieti we have a little circuit left, before the peloton or its leftovers hit the final climb to the finish line.

GPM 2a categoria - Passo San Leonardo (1282 m), 20,8 km / 4,2%
GPM 1a categoria - Passo Lanciano (1306 m), 17,5 km / 6,9%
Traguardo Volante - Filetto (km 100)
GPM 2a categoria - Casacanditella (372 m) 3,7 km / 6% (max. 16%)
GPM 2a categoria - Sant' Agata (327 m) 3,9 km / 5,6% (max. 18%)
GPM 3a categoria - Colle Spaccato (353 m) 3,5 km / 5% (max. 9%)
GPM 3a categoria - Colle dei Gesuiti (284 m) 1,7 km / 9,6% (max. 18%)
GPM 2a categoria - Bucchianico (328 m) 2,4 km / 8,6% (max. 27%)
GPM 3a categoria - Fonte Pietra (268 m) 2,6 km / 7,9% (max. 20%)
GPM 3a categoria - Chieti (305 m) 4,6 km / 4,7% (max. 10%)
GPM 2a categoria - Chieti (339 m) 3,9 km / 6,3% (max. 18%)

Gran_Sasso_visto_da_Chieti.JPG

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Tappa 12 Avezzano – Abbadia San Salvatore, 263 km

2621nvt.jpg

20sytkl.jpg

Planimetria

Longest stage of the race, with a hard ending. Monte Amiata had three GPM's in the Giro history so far, among others Bernaudeau and Van Impe beeing successful. So it is a long day in the saddle, should be over 8 hrs.

Traguardo Volante - Rieti (km 75)
GPM 1a categoria - Monte Amiata (1587 m), 8,7 km / 7,6%

monte_amiata1_g.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Giro 2009 went Cuneo > Pinerolo @ 262km, with Di Luca breaking away in the finale, so super long stages are not foreign to the current Giro setup.

Also great Abruzzo stages! Stage 11 is my favorite so far (a ride through Atri would have made it perfect! [but that's a bit far from Chieti])

nvpacchi said:
Giro 2009 went Cuneo > Pinerolo @ 262km, with Di Luca breaking away in the finale, so super long stages are not foreign to the current Giro setup.
Don't forget L'aquila 2010 stage, 260+ kms...

@ thread author:
I like this thread's idea. Maybe I'll do a similar thread next week (waiting for you to finish yours)

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
nvpacchi said:

Eshnar said:
Don't forget L'aquila 2010 stage, 260+ kms...

Yes. These are two stages, I really liked. So I tried to create something similar. There have been a lot more 250+ km in the Giro over the past years and there is going to be another one in my edition. But this time a sprinters stage.

Eshnar said:
@ thread author:
I like this thread's idea. Maybe I'll do a similar thread next week (waiting for you to finish yours)

That would be great. :cool:

Lupetto said:
That would be great. :cool:
A month ago I created a Giro which covers all the 20 italian region with little transfers (as a challenge about Zomegnan's declaration, who said the long transfers of this year were due to his will to include as many regions as possible...) and ends in Rome (without being dull as 2009 route)

I just need to make a brief introduction to the stages, I've already got the profiles :)

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Tappa 13 Arcidosso - Rosignano Solvay, 177 km

16jmskl.jpg

Planimetria

Not much to write about this stage, which starts from Arcidosso, near Monte Amiata. A real sprinters all-tuscan day. And they will get two more days, before we have our second rest day.

Traguardo Volante - Follonica (km 100)

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Tappa 14 Cecina - Genova, 255 km

2m76p3b.jpg

1dygcx.jpg

Planimetria

Long day again, as we try to make some kilometers northwards. Some well known ligurian passes, but 90% for a mass sprint in Genova.

Traguardo Volante - La Spezia (km 140)
GPM 3a categoria - Via di Caderone (323 m) 3,8 km / 8%
GPM 3a categoria - Passo del Termine (536 m) 5 km / 6%
GPM 2a categoria - Passo del Bracco (610 m) 10 km / 5,9%

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Tappa 15 Sestri Ponente – Ventimiglia, 164 km

2hevziq.jpg

Planimetria

Before the second rest day, we'll have a ligurian coast stage with some well known roads on the menu. Starting from Genova's industrial suburb Sestri Ponente, the peloton will take the roads of Milano-Sanremo. No GPM today, but the Cipressa will host today's intermediate sprint. So there might be an opportunity to steal some bonus seconds. After Sanremo we'll have another small climb, the Colla di Sanremo. Last chance for an attack before the peloton reaches Ventimiglia, located 7 km from the French-Italian border.

This rest day will have no bigger transfer, only 50 km to the start of stage 16 in Imperia.

Traguardo Volante - Cipressa (km 120)

You do realise that those last two stages will have been the penultimate weekend? Most of the time organisers like to put on their keynote stages at weekends in order to maximise audiences (and Zomegnan has found that the audience figures for flat stage TV coverage at the Giro are chronic) - look how much of a fuss there was about the Tour putting stage 15 as a pointless waste of a stage where you only needed to watch 10 seconds, on one of the few days when anybody could watch.

roundabout said:
It's the Giro. The very painful stuff is usually last on the menu.

2011 penultimate weekend: Zoncolán followed by Rifugio Gardeccia
2010 penultimate weekend: Monte Grappa followed by Zoncolán
2009 penultimate weekend: Bologna San Luca followed by Firenze (intermediate stage)
2008 penultimate weekend: Pampeago followed by Fedaia
2007 penultimate weekend: Bergamo (intermediate stage) followed by Tre Cime di Lavaredo

The Giro does put the very painful stuff at the end, but two sprint stages is a huge waste of the weekend, and the Giro has usually put at least some of the really painful stuff in there.

Libertine Seguros said:
2011 penultimate weekend: Zoncolán followed by Rifugio Gardeccia
2010 penultimate weekend: Monte Grappa followed by Zoncolán
2009 penultimate weekend: Bologna San Luca followed by Firenze (intermediate stage)
2008 penultimate weekend: Pampeago followed by Fedaia
2007 penultimate weekend: Bergamo (intermediate stage) followed by Tre Cime di Lavaredo

The Giro does put the very painful stuff at the end, but two sprint stages is a huge waste of the weekend, and the Giro has usually put at least some of the really painful stuff in there.
Oh God how awful was 2009 route... :(
Can we please ignore it? (No offense to San Luca nor Firenze anyway)

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Tappa 16 Imperia – Santuario di Sant' Anna di Vinadio, 230 km

210exhz.jpg

Planimetria

Today a stage returns, that was actually scheduled for June 7, 2001. You can read here why it was cancelled. It occurred to me for quite a while, that this is a stage, that has to return to the Giro program. So here it is.

Starting from the ligurian coast town of Imperia, we hit the mountainous region between Liguria and Piemonte with three categorized climbs. This is a chance for collecting some points or getting in a break.

They better make sure to get some diesels into the break, because there is a longer flat section, before we hit the highest climb of the race. Colle di Fauniera returns as Cima Coppi and will demand everything from the riders.

pantani+memorial.jpg

Over the 20 kilometers of hard work, before they descend to Demonte and hit the final climb. 15 kilometers @ 7,5 % after 215 kilometers and then the finish in front of the Santuario.

16326690.jpg

GPM 2a categoria - Colle di Nava (941 m) 10,5 km / 6,6%
GPM 2a categoria - Colla di Casotto (1331 m) 12,6 km / 6,4%
GPM 3a categoria - San Giácomo de Roburent (1011 m) 5,5 km / 4,8%
Traguardo Volante - Caraglio (km 145)
GPM Cima Coppi - Colle della Fauniera (2511 m) 22,4 km / 7,5%
GPM Arrivo - Sant' Anna di Vinadio (2010 m) 15,3 km / 7,5%

Lupetto said:
Tappa 16 Imperia – Santuario di Sant' Anna di Vinadio, 230 km

GPM 2a categoria - Colle di Nava (941 m) 10,5 km / 6,6%
GPM 2a categoria - Colla di Casotto (1331 m) 12,6 km / 6,4%
GPM 3a categoria - San Giácomo de Roburent (1011 m) 5,5 km / 4,8%
Traguardo Volante - Caraglio (km 145)
GPM Cima Coppi - Colle della Fauniera (2511 m) 22,4 km / 7,5%
GPM Arrivo - Sant' Anna di Vinadio (2010 m) 15,3 km / 7,5%

This is a great stage and should be done again for real.

Gibo would have won that Giro by 10 minutes had that stage happened.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The 2009 route was a huge letdown (save for the awesome Monte Petrano and Pinerolo stages), but even they used the penultimate weekend better than this route, I'm afraid.

I have to admit, that I overlooked the weekend fact. :( Maybe, I should leave one mountain stage out of the last week and make the Genova stage a real tappone with climbs like Madonna della Guardia and la Bocchetta.

Libertine Seguros said:
The 2009 route was a huge letdown (save for the awesome Monte Petrano and Pinerolo stages), but even they used the penultimate weekend better than this route, I'm afraid.
yes, Monte Petrano was great, and the ITT too. But all the rest was terrible.
And yes, they used the weekend better than this route:p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
yes, Monte Petrano was great, and the ITT too. But all the rest was terrible.
And yes, they used the weekend better than this route:p

Libertine Seguros said:

Blockhaus was also quite good. 2009 Giro as a race was very exciting imo. The 1st giro they showed in Aus and it was a thriller down to the last few stages imo.

auscyclefan94 said:
Blockhaus was also quite good. 2009 Giro as a race was very exciting imo. The 1st giro they showed in Aus and it was a thriller down to the last few stages imo.
I meant the route was horrible, not the race itself, which was good (not as good as other Giros, but on average anyway)
However, this probably deserves a thread on his own :p