• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Rest day 1 - Round up

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I've enjoyed the coverage on Eurosport thats for sure. I'm so glad the Giro's on.. finaly I can watch something decent in the evenings..whooop.
Crowdswise I think there have been some amazing shows of support.. I've yet to see the Etna stage so don't tell me whose won it (hahaha!!) so can't suppor the lack of crowds argument, yet. But the shots I've seen have been full of banners and cheers, brill.
As for my predictions, I'm not doing too bad at present, I put Bert 3rd (I think) but now I'm going to confess I'm out of the running having read the report of yesterday. So now I'm hoping for big attacks from those in the chase group, I mean what else is left to do except ride your heart out and hope Bert has a bad day..or a crash (yikes)
I'm supprised at the driving skills of some of the support vehicles.. Some driving skills training required for sure... are they all Italian drivers hahahaa??
Other than that I'm fully into it as per usual..Roll on tomorrow.
I went into "Look Mum No Hands" yesterday to get my book signed by Herbie (many thanks to my amazing G/F there too, MWAxx)

just some guy said:
I don´t think it will be boring and have never said - I don´t beleive this will be Contador get a minute lead and just following wheels - I think he will attach and attach and attach and smash everyone by minutes. It will be fun to watch and not boring.

Fun to watch if you're a Contador fan I guess

Personally I doubt that will happen. This race is won barring an accident. Should be thinking of July now and assume he'll be racing - in which case the smart thing to do (particularly with a route as hard as this) is to make the next couple of weeks as easy as possible.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
The day before yesterday he lost 18 seconds to Nibali, Scarponi, Kreuziger, etc.

Only because he wouldn't have been well positioned. There was a break coming over the line somewhere so the gap went out from 5" to 23" in what would have only been a couple of lengths.

But I think that's the point anyway, he loses time here and there on relatively easy stages for some reason (probably a combination of factors).

Finbouy said:
I went into "Look Mum No Hands" yesterday to get my book signed by Herbie (many thanks to my amazing G/F there too, MWAxx)

that the Maglia Rosa book? damn! wish I knew that was on!

I'm enjoying the eurosport coverage too, although, the guide showed them starting at 8.20pm last night, but didn't start til over an hour later and only covered the last 10kms.
Live coverage is good, but highlight packages seem to be lacking...

As for the race itself, I'm a little concerned that it's now over with contador sitting on wheels for the remainder to keep the maglia rosa...

Are Sastre and Menchov in the race ? How many points will Geox have by the end of the season ? Remove cheque book and and start targetting riders for next year. Too bad Rujano can't time trial and that he loses 6 minutes on flat stages but he could be the joker in the pack. Lotto team doing well. Too early to tell who will grab the other two podium spots. Scarponi will do better in the third week.

Outside of the pre-race favourites, I have been impressed with the riding of Sivtsov and Kiryienka. Kreuziger is also looking good.

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Ha, it is indeed the Maglia Rosa book book. We got there at 12 had lunch and 3 amazing coffees, my G/F bought the book for me and got Herbie to sign it whilst I was "taking a break..hahhaha..

So far I've only read the intro, but the quality of the book is amazing, seriously.

As for the Eurosport highlights.. well we all know that highlights are scheduled then delayed depending on the Tennis/snooker yadda yadda..

I've been impressed by Fernese, think they've done a rather good job so far and Colnago have at least thown a few lads in a break, which is excellent to watch.

As for excitement..?? I'm wondering if I'm not just a little reticent att he moment, last year I was one the edge of my internet connection gasping for info, this year seems a little flat.. possibly for obvious reasons, possibly..

Finbouy said:
Ha, it is indeed the Maglia Rosa book book. We got there at 12 had lunch and 3 amazing coffees, my G/F bought the book for me and got Herbie to sign it whilst I was "taking a break..hahhaha..

So far I've only read the intro, but the quality of the book is amazing, seriously.

yeah, I have it and have started reading it. Great so far. would have been good to get the author's signature in it...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Universal Sports is doing a 2-hour recap of the first week of racing. Not as good as racing but I guess I'll have to watch it to feed my Giro addiction.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Finbouy said:
As for the Eurosport highlights.. well we all know that highlights are scheduled then delayed depending on the Tennis/snooker yadda yadda..

British Eurosport are supposed to have highlights of yesterdays stage today around 4ish. Sorry can't be more specific as at work but I think it was either 3.45 or 4.15

Mellow Velo said:
I haven't had time to look around to see if this has been posted elsewhere, but the Crostis is staying in the race.
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=38955

Personally i am happy. They are putting the nets in though right?

Edit: also see British eurosport starts coverage at 1 pm on Saturday. Thats 3 + hours of the stage. Should get there before Crostis ascent even. ****ing amazing

Mellow Velo said:
I haven't had time to look around to see if this has been posted elsewhere, but the Crostis is staying in the race.
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=38955

The Hitch said:
Personally i am happy. They are putting the nets in though right?

Edit: also see British eurosport starts coverage at 1 pm on Saturday. Thats 3 + hours of the stage. Should get there before Crostis ascent even. ****ing amazing

woo hoo! yes!!!

Plan for Rujano:

Attack Grossglockner on the first 10% ramps.
Attack Crostis before halfway.
Attack a few km into Fedaia (or halfway up Giau if he's crazy --->>> save that for Sella I think).
Attack Finestre from the bottom

At least that's what we want to see!

Edit: Crostis in, yay... doesn't seem like there will be a protest either.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Plan for Rujano:

Attack Grossglockner on the first 10% ramps.
Attack Crostis before halfway.
Attack a few km into Fedaia (or halfway up Giau if he's crazy --->>> save that for Sella I think).
Attack Finestre from the bottom

At least that's what we want to see!

Edit: Crostis in, yay... doesn't seem like there will be a protest either.

Plan for Nibali:

Attack in the Crostis descent.
Attack in the Fedaia descent.
Attack in the Aprica descent (send some teammates ahead in the break to get to the final flat bit).
Attack in the Finestre descent.

Where else is he going to get time on Contador? Alberto is the better climber and TT'er, all Nibali's got on him is his dowhill skills.. Not going to work obviously, but the man has got to try something. And I'd love him for trying.

Very impressing

Contador & Saxo & Sungard will take the time he needs, no more..

The Giro is not the main objective, in regards to the Tour´

But no doubt that Alberto is one incredible rider and his ride yesterday is one of the best answers he can give his critics in regards to the comming CAS judgement, because its obvius that there are big focus on his lab-values these days and then hes still performs like this....

And Im pretty sure that Bjarne Riis couldt have written a more ideel manuscript in regards to yesterdays performance from Contador, and from that all the press and sponsor-focus that brings to the rest-day.-:rolleyes:

Can only imagine the strength of Saxo bank & Sungard if Bjarne Riis didnt have let Cancellara leave, it would have been to much for one team-

Greenflame said:
Plan for Nibali:

Attack in the Crostis descent.
Attack in the Fedaia descent.
Attack in the Aprica descent (send some teammates ahead in the break to get to the final flat bit).
Attack in the Finestre descent.

Where else is he going to get time on Contador? Alberto is the better climber and TT'er, all Nibali's got on him is his dowhill skills.. Not going to work obviously, but the man has got to try something. And I'd love him for trying.

Best idea yet!

Actually looking at the stage 14 profile, im not sure that anyone will be stupid enough to attack on the Crostsis.

To start its, a mini Tour of Lombardy for 160km, going as high as 1636 and as low as 370 altitude.

Then the Crostsis is 10% average for 11km, followed by 8km flat at the top at 2000m alltitude, before the descent.

You have to have enough blood going to the brain at that alltitude to take on that descent, which from the pictures seems as hard as the climb itself.

And all that baring in mind that the stage starts 17 hours after a mtf on Grossglockner.

The problem is, the Zoncolan is so hard even the top guys have to fight their bikes to stay on it for some sections. 10k at almost 12% average.

So you need to conserve a lot of energy just to finish. If you misjudge it, go to the ZOncolan slightly too tired, then you dont just fail to win, you lose minutes and minutes. Hence the best tactic is to wait for the Zonc.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Possibly could of just sucked. Not everyone could say they had a puncture or a crash.

his helper jackson crashed hard and vicioso didn't drop back so rujano was all alone. on the climb he was about 10 seconds behind pozzovivo but he still had helpers and in downhil I sppose he lost contact and with no one willing to ride it was useless.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Only because he wouldn't have been well positioned. There was a break coming over the line somewhere so the gap went out from 5" to 23" in what would have only been a couple of lengths.

But I think that's the point anyway, he loses time here and there on relatively easy stages for some reason (probably a combination of factors).

mostly because he doesn't have a team that surrounds him/ he's not a worse steerer than menchov but at least he has an entire team. let's hope rujano will have full support as well now

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Are Sastre and Menchov in the race ? How many points will Geox have by the end of the season ? Remove cheque book and and start targetting riders for next year. Too bad Rujano can't time trial and that he loses 6 minutes on flat stages but he could be the joker in the pack. Lotto team doing well. Too early to tell who will grab the other two podium spots. Scarponi will do better in the third week.

Outside of the pre-race favourites, I have been impressed with the riding of Sivtsov and Kiryienka. Kreuziger is also looking good.

rujano is more than ok timetrialer

TRENDING THREADS