• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Stage 10 Civitanova Marche - Forli 200km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Flamin said:
Very disappointed to hear about Porte. In the heat of the moment you want to get on your bike as fast as possible, you don't think "oh wait, isn't there this rule that doesn't allow me to take a wheel from a non-teammate?". Of course the rules should be applied but goddamn, what a shitty way to lose freakin 2 minutes.

But surely someone in the car will be screaming in his earpiece he cant do it and has to wait for a teammate?
Is this much different than when Porte "illegal" gave Froome a gel as he had forgotten to eat so he could still go ahead and win? Guess Karma is a *** some times.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sultanofhyd said:
Sky tweeting the hashtag #SupportPorte?

Isn't that what they should have done, you know, with all the teammates, team cars, spares and mechanics?

bingo!

i get the calculated risk of splitting the team in a sprint stage in hopes of viviani taking the stage. this calculated risk did not work out well. it does not change the fact that porte is their protected rider, as in "always protected, all of the time." to me, it is inexcusable for for sky to have apparently lost track of porte before the 3km mark.

though i am not thrilled with the two minute penalty, the direct cause lies squarely

hashtag#lackofportesupportfromteammates,teamcars,spares,andmechanics

today's time loss sure sure isn't looking good for porte - i would not rule him out of a podium position or even say "no chance of pink for porte!" because it IS cycling, and one never really knows what can or will happen on any given stage.

Re: Re:

But surely someone in the car will be screaming in his earpiece he cant do it and has to wait for a teammate?
Is this much different than when Porte "illegal" gave Froome a gel as he had forgotten to eat so he could still go ahead and win? Guess Karma is a *** some times.

this, however, implies that the team car was just around the corner seeing that Porte was getting Clarke's wheel...in this case the teamcar would have given Porte the front wheel all by themself...

and I really doubt that Porte was reporting back to the teamcar that he was getting a wheel from Clarke...probably just stated that he punctured and that he needs a wheel.

Honestly, I don't care about Porte or Sky, or if Aru, Contador, Porte or ... wins the Giro, but I'd love to see the race decided by cycling and not by UCI rules that definitely make sense in some scenarios, but maybe not in others...

Remember, other fields of sport even have a "fair play" ranking....

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

stetre76 said:

this, however, implies that the team car was just around the corner seeing that Porte was getting Clarke's wheel...in this case the teamcar would have given Porte the front wheel all by themself...

and I really doubt that Porte was reporting back to the teamcar that he was getting a wheel from Clarke...probably just stated that he punctured and that he needs a wheel.

Honestly, I don't care about Porte or Sky, or if Aru, Contador, Porte or ... wins the Giro, but I'd love to see the race decided by cycling and not by UCI rules that definitely make sense in some scenarios, but maybe not in others...

Remember, other fields of sport even have a "fair play" ranking....

Fair play is one thing, but it is not the other guys fault he did not follow the rules. You can argue they should all protest, but then where does it stop? If it is raining and they have descend and a few riders don't like and others do, should they all stop?

If there is a crash 3.5 km out and 1 guy gets caught behind, should they all stop as rules says it is only within last 3 km?

If someone should gets a small injury due to a crash, should the others not attack next 2-3 stages to let him recover?

I do agree it is a strong penalty, 2 mins, compared to what was it Froome got for getting the gel, believe it was 10-20 seconds. Especially considering that Porte would have lost maybe another 10-20 seconds getting team mates wheel, whereas Froome could have lost 1-2 mins before he could would have recovered on that stage.

But at the end of the day rules are rules and they are there for a reason.

@boringboy - of course the sprinter teams/the peloton didn't have any reason to wait, this would have been a farce then.

with fair-play I mean that i think it's a great gesture from a rider to give his front wheel to the rider of another team, and even if it's "just" because they are countrymen...

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Re:

stetre76 said:
@boringboy - of course the sprinter teams/the peloton didn't have any reason to wait, this would have been a farce then.

with fair-play I mean that i think it's a great gesture from a rider to give his front wheel to the rider of another team, and even if it's "just" because they are countrymen...

That I agree, but at the same time, it might something to do with National pride etc, maybe Orica is trying to show they can take better care of Porte than Sky can... ;-)

But I do agree, they could give a bonus to Clarke or something, as he was the one doing the fairplay.

boringboy said:
stetre76 said:

That I agree, but at the same time, it might something to do with National pride etc, maybe Orica is trying to show they can take better care of Porte than Sky can... ;-)

But I do agree, they could give a bonus to Clarke or something, as he was the one doing the fairplay.
Actually, Orica are last in the Fair Play classification. They were last BEFORE Clarke's gesture broke the anti-collusion rules, but as a result of it Orica and Sky are now miles below everybody else.

TRENDING THREADS