• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro stage 13: Lido di Camaiore - Firenze (176 km)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'll be cheering for Cyclingnews at the finish line :p

A hard stage yesterday, and a block of three hard stages coming, could lead to an early breakaway that manages to get away while the peloton cruises along and recovers much needed energy.

On the other hand, this is the last sprinter stage in a while, with only one other coming next Thursday. In the between, hard mountain stages. Keeping in account that the points jersey most probably goes to a GC man, I feel some sprinters will drop off after today.

Therefore I am expecting the sprinters not to miss this last opportunity.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I also believe in a sprint today. I don't think LPR will work too much for Petacchi though, they will probably use this a rest day. Columbia and Garmin, and maybe Quickstep will have to control the break. Can't really see Rabobank doing too much work either, as Menchov probably will try to keep any bonus seconds as far away from Di Luca as possible on every single stage from now on :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
As expected, a breakaway was given the green light. Local boy Scarselli, cronoman Ignatiev and a Schroder have one minute on the peloton.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
4'15" after half an hour of racing means the peloton is taking it easy.

EDIT: No, it must be more than half an hour of racing, as it was at the 32 km mark. They probably started before the announced 13.15 time.

Due to the length of the stage I can see the break getting a max of around seven and a half to eight minutes before the peloton start to reel them back after the only climb of the day. Probably make the catch at 10 to 15 kilometres to go and then see a couple of failed break attempts with a mass sprint finish.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The teams with sprinters will probably prevent the break from making it. Cavendish would love another win, and the others (namely Farrar and Davis) would love to beat him. This is one of the last chances.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
;)

So a cervelo jersey, signed (black on black, interesting how one will be able to detect the signatures), but no bibs (worn or unworn). How is the winner ever going to use the jersey to make a matching outfit...

Cyclingnews sure does whatever it takes to turn us into very unfashionable cyclists....

I cant believe how stupid some people are. There are still people posting the old cav-petacchi-davis-farrar combos now. Even though all those were taken in like the first 5 minutes. I can see alot of disappointed people.

i have to say that some of this is my fault (ill own up) as on one of the first guessing game threads i put in about 20 guesses in the first 5 minutes taking up every cav-petacchi-farrar-davis combo there is. But susan deleted them all and made the 1 guess only rule. Damn!! It could have been mine, if it was a sprint:(

TRENDING THREADS