Giro stage 14 Campi Bisenzio - Bologna (San Luca), 172km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 11, 2009
Did anyone see Froome explode? Ouch!

Was doing the slalom uphill (winter sports in reverse). :D

Apr 11, 2009
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Leipheimer and Basso can't follow on the steeper parts.

So how exactly does Leipheimer think he can win the Giro? If you ask me it's Menchov vs Di Luca. Leipheimer is clearly a level lower uphill...

Hard to disagree with that. Looks right to me, so far....

Mar 10, 2009
BroDeal said:
Well, that was a big nothing as far as the GC goes.
True regarding time differences. But this stage will be felt on their legs. The fastest timetable was 39 km/h, but they went over 40 km/h on such a hilly stage. This morning Simoni complained that he hasn't been able to recover, as every stage is run so fast - and he lost some time.

I feel that we'll see some riders explode on Monday.

Well done Cervelo & Simon Gerrans, not so invisible anymore. It looked like Philip Deignan done more of the work, maybe that was the plan, still good team victory.

If Di Luca had kept riding on the climb, he would have put more time into Leipheimer. LPR wasted themselves for nothing. Smart tactics Rabobank. Simoni & Lokvist big losers today. Lots more summit finishes to look forward to. Great.

Mar 10, 2009
Dekker_Tifosi said:
So how exactly does Leipheimer think he can win the Giro? If you ask me it's Menchov vs Di Luca. Leipheimer is clearly a level lower uphill...
We'll have to see on longer climbs, Levi and Basso for sure are not good on steep 2 km climbs.

May 13, 2009
Interesting resuts.

DiLuca: LPR doing practically all the work for 3" gain on LL and Basso. In hindsight, a rather wasted effort. It looked for a while they would catch the break, so I don't think their strategy was wrong. They had to try, it just did not work out.

LL lost contact pretty fast on the final hill. I cannot see him making any time on any stage except for the final ITT which is short (unless of course, DDL or Menchov or both are having a really bad day in the final week).

Basso and Pellizotti: Pellizotti managed to stay with DDL/Menchov etc. while Basso couldn't. Moreover, Pellizotti is only 2' down, while Basso is down by 3'. Seems clear to me which rider Leakygas should support in the final week.

Sastre: good ride. However I have doubts that he can put 3' into Menchov (probably needs a bit more b/c of final ITT).

Menchov: Today's winner. His team didn't need to work and he didn't lose any time. He just needs to hang in there.

Deadly dull. Some odd Italian team tactics.
Interesting that Simoni has now said something along the same lines as Cunego.
Those peloton speeds eh? For a couple of years they seem to be more believable, but now, we seem to be back in the era of the motor cyclists. :rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
A couple of Di Luca quotes after the stage:

My team worked until 50 km to go, when it became clear we couldn't get the break back by ourselves. I don't know why the others didn't work too (read: Liquigas). Then I asked the boys to go slower. In the final, there was no sense in sprinting for a 7th place (read: unlike Pellizzotti who sprinted).

At the moment the Giro contenders are me, Menchov and Leipheimer. Then maybe on Monday evening there will be others. For sure, Monday will shape the overall classification. Who do I hope to lose time on me on Monday, Menchov or Leipheimer? Both, obviously. But I regard Menchov the most difficult opponent. I have never once seen Leipheimer attack (so the Bergamo stage doesn't count for Di Luca).

May 13, 2009
Mellow Velo said:
Some odd Italian team tactics.
True. Pellizotti and Basso have to make up time as well. Strange Leakygas wouldn't help LPR. Maybe they thought their GC guys would lack explosiveness on the final climb to snatch bonus seconds (then again Pellizotti started the spurt), or maybe they don't care about 10-20 seconds gains and plan to go full out on Blockhaus or Vesuvio. Great tactics of Cervelo to send a strong man in the break.

A

Anonymous

Cobblestones said:
LL and Basso lost a grand total of 3" each.

It was a 2K climb....what the gap shows is that they can't hack it when the pedals get turned in real anger. Also note that they came back in the last 500 meters where it was flatter.

Its Menchov and DiLuca, and DiLuca is going to have a hard time I think. Menchov looked pretty good and has only gotten stronger as the Giro has rolled on. I don't think LL makes top 3 honestly.

A

Anonymous

Leopejo said:
True regarding time differences. But this stage will be felt on their legs. The fastest timetable was 39 km/h, but they went over 40 km/h on such a hilly stage. This morning Simoni complained that he hasn't been able to recover, as every stage is run so fast - and he lost some time.

I feel that we'll see some riders explode on Monday.

And that is disturbing for very obvious reasons.

A

Anonymous

Parrot23 said:
Parrot23 said:
Hard to disagree with that. Looks right to me, so far....

i'd think he does it the way it's normaly done by a climber.
team presses the pace at the bottom of climb and drags the climber up the mountain, the climber attacks at some point and makes time.

i take it you don't think levi/astana can do that.
i'm still holding out that they can.

after today i don't see where di luca makes up time and he's certain to loose some in the tt.

mechov can ride his wheel to the win can't he?

jackhammer111 said:
i'd think he does it the way it's normaly done by a climber.
team presses the pace at the bottom of climb and drags the climber up the mountain, the climber attacks at some point and makes time.

i take it you don't think levi/astana can do that.
i'm still holding out that they can.

I am still waiting for the time Levi Lamprey has shown he is stronger than DiLuca and Menchov in the mountains. When either of those two really drop the hammer, Leipheimer has trouble.

Menchov is sitting pretty. Although I would like to see DiLuca win, on one of the mountain stages Menchov will put the screws to everyone, and DiLuca will be the only contender who might be able to follow.

jackhammer111 said:
after today i don't see where di luca makes up time and he's certain to loose some in the tt.

How the heck do you "loose" time? Get yourself a freakin' dictionary so you don't spell like a dumb@ss, bro.

A

Anonymous

Leopejo said:
A couple of Di Luca quotes after the stage:

"But I regard Menchov the most difficult opponent. I have never once seen Leipheimer attack" (so the Bergamo stage doesn't count for Di Luca).

di luca is a jerk. he's a tough guy racer and i guess that appeals to some people but i can do without arragant blowhards. was he saying last year that contador was afraid to attack? that he wasn't agressive enough?
this is why i'm rooting for levi. make a losers out of loud mouths like him.
levi's job has always been to drag someone else up the mountain so they can attack.
now, for the first time, it's his turn.
then he goes back to that job for contator.
he's always been a great team rider. now his job on the team is to win the giro.
tall order.
we'll see.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
I am still waiting for the time Levi Lamprey has shown he is stronger than DiLuca and Menchov in the mountains. When either of those two really drop the hammer, Leipheimer has trouble.

Menchov is sitting pretty. Although I would like to see DiLuca win, on one of the mountain stages Menchov will put the screws to everyone, and DiLuca will be the only contender who might be able to follow.

How the heck do you "loose" time? Get yourself a freakin' dictionary so you don't spell like a dumb@ss, bro.

hey bro...
**** you.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:

how do you all feel about this last comment ?
this is how flame wars get started, and i can flame with the best of them.
a spelling error shouldn't be the an excuse for personal insults.
he retracts that comment or i get the gasoline out.

Mar 10, 2009
jackhammer111 said:
di luca is a jerk. he's a tough guy racer and i guess that appeals to some people but i can do without arragant blowhards. was he saying last year that contador was afraid to attack? that he wasn't agressive enough?
this is why i'm rooting for levi. make a losers out of loud mouths like him.
levi's job has always been to drag someone else up the mountain so they can attack.
now, for the first time, it's his turn.
then he goes back to that job for contator.
he's always been a great team rider. now his job on the team is to win the giro.
tall order.
we'll see.
They asked him who of the two he feared most, and he honestly answered - an answer most of us agree with: Menchov seems to be the strongest rider in this Giro. What would you have answered in Di Luca's place?

jackhammer111 said:
how do you all feel about this last comment ?
this is how flame wars get started, and i can flame with the best of them.
a spelling error shouldn't be the an excuse for personal insults.
he retracts that comment or i get the gasoline out.

Bring it, bro. I don't back down from anything. You wanted to have a tiff with me as evidenced by your continual harping about a comment I made a week ago in the sticky Giro thread. You got it. Live with it.

A

Anonymous

Leopejo said:
They asked him who of the two he feared most, and he honestly answered - an answer most of us agree with: Menchov seems to be the strongest rider in this Giro. What would you have answered in Di Luca's place?

i just take issue with way he put it.
" I have never once seen Leipheimer attack" seemed like an insult.
i hope astana sees it that way too.