• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Stage 2: Jesolo - Trieste

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
How technical is the finish? Winding roads, lots of turns and narrow, or is it straight like a billiard cue and wide like J Lo's booty?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
How technical is the finish? Winding roads, lots of turns and narrow, or is it straight like a billiard cue and wide like J Lo's booty?
There is an 11 km finishing circuit, with a 95 m climb 4 km from the finish line. This circuit is done three times (with the second occurrence of the climb being the Giro's first KOM).

According to Italian TV, it is NOT the same circuit than in the 2000 Italian National Championship (see my post in the Giro d'Italia thread). Then the same climb had double the elevation gain and the circuit was much more difficult. Today everybody is betting on a bunch sprint.

EDIT: according to Cassani, it's an easy finish. The climb is gentle. The descent is easy, with only one hairpin turn. Then 900 m of slight downhill, an easy turn to the left and a wide finishing straight.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
too much work from garmin - let columbia control it. maybe a bit of detente going on.

love the universal feed, particularly the captions "end of the bunch", "packed bunch", etc. i dunno, but i prefer arriere du peloton, kop van de westrijd, and gruppo compatto. I gues they have to dumb it down for us "U.S. Americans". :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It looks like Garmin must have some confidence in Farrar, so I will pick him. It would be the perfect way for Garmin to stick it to Cav after yesterday. :)

That would be nice. My heart says Farrar, my head says Cav.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Too dodgy for Petacchi, and he's a little long in the tooth. This is a classic Cav-type sprint with that little bend in the end. Farrar would need a bigger wind-up.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Astana is trying to do some work for the sprinter teams to get some good will, and of course livestrong exposure. It is prob a good interval training for LA as well...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
The swedish national jersey (Ljungblad) really is one of the most beautiful national jerseys. And so easy to pick out in the peloton.

agreed!! Very nice jersey (whish they could win the Olympic medal in Hockey soon in Vancouver =)

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Garmin is not from the US

Garmin is from the Cayman Islands. At least that is where they are registered, for tax purposes. And since their business is completely dependent on US military satellites, and those of us that paid to put them up there, it chaps my hide every time I see "Garmin" and "from the US" in the same sentence. To those of us that pay taxes in the US, we are paying more because Garmin pays less.
Sorry. April 15 is not that long ago.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What an idiot comentator... Di luca in a bunch sprint?

Cav the Great got his a$$ kicked by the sly old fox =) I was already thinking that his experience might help outwit Cav's sprinting strenght. He jumped from his wheel, and then Cav was blocked by his own team mate, and could never follow Pettachi's accelartion.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
It's good to see someone so happy to win too, it looks quite funny how happy he was, well done to him.

Ben swift 3rd that is good for him.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Petacchi:

"It's two days that I try to find how to beat Cavendish. And today I did it how I had planned. Yes, Cavendish is a very nice guy. I dedicate this to my son, whose first birthday is today".

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
53x11 in DC said:
Shame on me. Nice win, Alessandro! And this announcer is a bonehead.

The difference between him and Phil? While it was pretty stupid to think that was DiLuca instead of Petacchi, he was basing his call from race radio which said he was DiLuca.

Regardless, good win for Petacchi.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Geez, I was thinking, Di Lucca's been working on this sprinting! A little confused; this announcer talks to much. That need someone else to take the load off him.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Definitely a case of age and treachery overcoming youth and skill. Cav waited just a moment too long to jump, and Petacchi spotted it and pounced. If Cav had jumped first, he would have won it, and I think if the line had been about 50-100 m later, Cav would have won it. Very smart racing from Petacchi.

Nice to see Ben Swift getting a 3rd place too, he's really coming along nicely. I am already fantasizing about him leading out Cav on a GB squad next year...

TRENDING THREADS