• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Stage 3: Grado - Valdobbiadene

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Locals like Bruseghin and Pozzato are warning that it won't be as easy as yesterday for the sprinters. The KOM at 40 km to go has 10 % slopes and is followed by a tricky descent. The finishing circuit is twisty and on narrow roads, they say, and the last 600 m slightly uphill.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Seems like a difficult finale indeed. That one steep hill at 157 (40 km) and then there is that little bump in the road at 182 (15 km). Ultimately, the the lead up to the finish (last 3km) seems to be slightly rising, ie an uphill sprint. Although I can;t really see how steep it is, I am inclined to call this a typical 'Freire finish'.

All of this is not likely to favout Cavendish. Pettachi seems to be a little stronger on these types of finishes, or maybe Pozatto. It's also likely that a more AGR or LBL type of rider will try stay away either 15 km or 3 km before the finish. Who knows, Gilbert? Besides, I bet Voeckler will give it a go as well...

And like yesterday, big names could lose time here...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Broken collar bone... ouch! Not good.

On the other hand, if it happens, it's good that it happens early, so he can still get fit for the TdF

Leipy in the break, clever with that mass standstill/crash! He's probably going to regain some time on Menchov

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Well it's a part of cycling well maybe after he is healed he can race in other races that aren't as strenuous as doing the Giro, but he should be in Good Form for the tour though. and my Prediction of the day is Pozatto I think he is a decent sprinter and the uphill finish will suit him.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Liquigas seems to be heavily invested in this stage. Are they up to something today, or do they want to assure that Basso doesn't lose time again?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Now they are working hard (LIQ and LPR) to keep Cav and Menchov out of the peloton. Too bad only ardilia is with Menchov, that's not a big help. Cav needs to do some more work if he wants to connect with the peloton!

They are never going to get to the bunch anymore... Only 2-4 people working, ouch, add 20-30s to menchov!

Cav seems like he bonked.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What is he blabbing about LA taking pink? I thought Petacchi was ahead of him in the GC after stage 2, and he won today, so he even took bonus s

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
What coverage is it that has stupid commentators like that?

Someone who has never seen/reported a race before, Universal sports. I think he still needs the start list to distinguish between the most important riders. He is def not on top of his game. Can't even tell anything a bout team tactics and strategies, and has a mancrush on everything that is anglosaxon or is named LA.

Great day for Alessandro, and interesting to see that the AGR /LBL people like Gilbert and Cunego did well in this stage. Pleasantly surprised with Farrar!

Wonder how much menchov lost in the end, painful, unfortunately for him, again. I also wonder what happened with that crash, because the whole bunch seemed to be stuck/blocked in for a good 30s-1m!

TRENDING THREADS