• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Stage 9 - Milan (17 May)

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking of flying over to watch the stage, and possibly the finish in Bergamo the day before. Anyone else heading over to watch it?

Any tips for being a Giro specatator?

fox1981 said:
I'm thinking of flying over to watch the stage, and possibly the finish in Bergamo the day before. Anyone else heading over to watch it?

Any tips for being a Giro specatator?

HI! I'm from Milan, and you? I will watch the stage as well, the one in Milan I mean.
I can give you any tip you want, any information you need.
I probably watch the stage in "Piazzale Loreto".

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Would love to be joining you both... should be a spectacular stage and a great weekend.

Unfortunately money and work intervene, so I'll be watching on Eurosport instead.:(:(

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
It's more fun to watch the mountain stages, but any stage is fun, and a unique experience. You won't get to see much of the actual race - even in the mountains, they fly by pretty quickly. One tip might be to find someone with a portable TV, or a bar/cafe with a TV tuned to the race, so that it's possible to see them go by, then rush over to the TV to catch the rest of the race. I recall watching the world championships in Verona like that - one guy had a portable TV in his car, and about 30 people crowded around it after the racers went by each lap.

The Bergamo stage looks like a more fun one - it's got some good climbs in it, and has a "strappetto" (short steep climb) towards the end in Bergamo - where perhaps someone in a break will try and take off on their own.

Which is part of why it's so fun... it's a great atmosphere!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I can just imagine what it would be like to be there and see it !! But for the rest of us (the poor folk) - we will have to resort to either following it on CyclingNews or of we are lucky - some local cable TV company will run a broadcast.

Having sai that - Any word IF the Giro will make it on TV in NA?

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Giro on tv in USA

ridley said:
I can just imagine what it would be like to be there and see it !! But for the rest of us (the poor folk) - we will have to resort to either following it on CyclingNews or of we are lucky - some local cable TV company will run a broadcast.

Having sai that - Any word IF the Giro will make it on TV in NA?

Probably only updates on Sunday with Versus

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
davidw said:
It's more fun to watch the mountain stages, but any stage is fun, and a unique experience. You won't get to see much of the actual race - even in the mountains, they fly by pretty quickly.

Well, im hoping because it is a circuit, that I'll get to see a fair bit.

fox1981 said:
Well its not costing me a lot to get there from London. Ryanair flies to Bergamo so i can do the first stage on the Sat without too much trouble and then train to Milan.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2009/planimetrie/t09_plan.html

Where is the best place to watch the stage?

I have circled by green the start and by red the finish.
I think the best places to go through the race are "Piazza Castello" before the start, so you can be in touch with the riders and with the large number of people around the race, whereas "Corso Venezia" is the best place to watch the race on during and after the finish; I think there is a maxi-screen there and there is the "Processo alla Tappa" you can't lose...

e149da68dfb96510dde39f7bde5251b9.upload

quadsRme said:
Probably only updates on Sunday with Versus
Still not listed as being the case, and at this point, I have to think it won't be shown. Word is that the cost was too high, because Italian TV knew that Lance would draw more viewers, thus they could charge more. But I can't verify that for certain.

There's been talk that it will be shown on NBC Universal. If you have a dish you can catch it on something like channel 191. If not, they have a nice website with very good webcasting.

There's always Cycling.TV, which has very good webcasting, and on demand replay.

And for those of us with little or no money, there's Steephill.tv, which has all kinds of free links.