• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Stage 9: Milano - Poll

Will the bunch sprint today?

• Yep, they'll go at it for the prestige of a Giro stage win...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Actually it seems they had agreed to let a Rabobank rider win as a sign of respect for Horrillo, even if the sprinters didn't agree.

And we all know how that agreement went. "There are only 4-5 stages for the sprinters", Cavendish defended himself.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
All in all, this stage turned out to be extremely lame, I want my money back :p

They should erase the results and pretend it never happened because had they really race the outcome would of been way different.

I call it a total waste of time. The riders didn't win, its not like they're going to play back those bad stages and re-map stage 9 so its safe. then they went ahead and raced it :rolleyes:, yea that made like a -100% point.

The organizers are still going to set up some crazy stages and announce them way way way in advance so they can see them before even lining up before stage 1 and they still show up and complain... pretty much a farce as I see it. Will Italy repave all their roads so they are wider? Never. Will Italy not have as many twisty turny roads in the future? No. Will the riders still race it? Yes.

So what is won?

This happens every year! It will repeat next year.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
I call it a total waste of time... then they went ahead and raced it :rolleyes:, yea that made like a -100% point.

I couldn't agree more. I wanted to see a sprint, but I can't understand why the riders obliged. Either the course was unsafe or it was not. Saying that it was dangerous and then racing the last two laps or so just makes no sense! They diluted their message, and just came off looking like spoiled children. If they were serious, they should have either refused to ride, or simply soft pedaled across the line. To me, this was a really bad day for the sport.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS