• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro versus Tour of California faceoff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I think it would be really good to have the Giro in DC since most Americans don't even know there are other Grand Tours out there. My question is will there be schedule conflict between the Giro and the Tour of California. I would hope for a significant American presence in a DC Giro but most American cyclist are opting for California.

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Someone should have gotten creative. Make the Giro four weeks and use the the Tour of California as the first week. Now that would kick @ss.

that's seriously a great idea!

hopefully this will provide a long term lead in for a potential Tour de United States

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I don't see the Giro and Tour of California joining together. The ASO will make sure of that. I believe ASO and AEG deal and the move to May insure that the Tour of California undermines the Giro. The TdF will always make sure it stays on top.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
I am really, really excited about the possibility of seeing the Giro in DC.

It will be interesting to see how the American teams approach the Giro and TOC in 2012.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Someone should have gotten creative. Make the Giro four weeks and use the the Tour of California as the first week. Now that would kick @ss.

Tip o the hat on that one. You get +5 genius points.

I agree the merging of the two races is not a political reality.

I suspect the 2012 TOC dates are not set yet, so it should be possible to arrange it so that it ends a day or two before the giro prologue.

Would be interesting to see who has sufficient form and rejuvenating supplies to last through four weeks of consecutive racing.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Giro all the way!... Best race on the calendar. last years edition was great other than DDL but I guess the way he raced was exciting!

Yes the giro is more exciting than the tour, from a sporting perspective.
That's also why I don't like the fact that it collides with the ToC. But I guess USA deserves a better spot on the calender, for their biggest event, than february

Mellow Velo said:
That would mean Levi's 6th title gets screwed.:rolleyes:

No the race organizers would find a way to make sure he has a lead after certain members of the peloton try to organize a strike because the traffic dots on the Santa Rosa circuit are too dangerous.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
in the "Good Old Days" GT were 4 weeks long but the UCI limited to 3 back in the 80's ( I think)

What would be interesting would be to have the ToC end 2 weeks prior and serve as a warm up for the Giro like the Tour de Suisse is.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The giro has been taking steps towards knocking off the tour every year for most prized possession. This would be a huge risk or step backwards.
Which american, or american team is going to feature in the Giro this year? If the Giro went to the USA do you think that would change?

If there is no american interest in the Giro when it is in the USA beyond novelty value, why go? The rest of the world will be laughing at the race as that transfer borders on farce.

karlboss said:
The giro has been taking steps towards knocking off the tour every year for most prized possession. This would be a huge risk or step backwards.
Which american, or american team is going to feature in the Giro this year? If the Giro went to the USA do you think that would change?

If there is no american interest in the Giro when it is in the USA beyond novelty value, why go? The rest of the world will be laughing at the race as that transfer borders on farce.

Yeah, true that. I got so excited at seeing the Giro in the US, especially after how cool the Tour in London looked, that I didn't even consider the logistics.

Ridiculous transfer is ridiculous.

RCS should just stick to designing exciting courses (And then stick to their exciting course designs, these stage abreviations must end!) and focus on making a quality race. If a few loud US cyclists don't throw their weight behind the Giro, oh well; I can cheer on Russians, Italians, and, well, more Italians just as well.

Race Radio said:
What would be interesting would be to have the ToC end 2 weeks prior and serve as a warm up for the Giro like the Tour de Suisse is.

That's a very good idea, but I bet the ToC people are too proud to do it.

Mind you, even with the ToC as a lead in, I think it is stupid for any race to start in one continent and finish in another.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
xnobrakesx said:
You have to wonder is a travel day will be given prior to the rest day after the American stages.

2 days off for one days racing?...farce. If you are going to do it do it right and spend 3-4 days racing in the US, then call it the tour/giro of something other than italy.

If you want a good first day and are willing to travel how about a TTT. Basically the reverse of the beijing road race without the laps? Take in the great wall, forbidden city, temple heaven, temple of earth, summer palace. Should be a little under 60km, fast and agreeable to the eye (Enviromental factors considered).
Any other good first days out there? What does africa have on offer? the pyrmaids should be spectacular.

TRENDING THREADS