• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro vs le Tour

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Why would I hate the race?:confused:

I dont think they do get any attention.

Compared to a lot of other ****, this is absolutely nothing. Nothing. On the last day of the Tour after the presentation I checked newspapers around the world, NA SA, Africa, Asia Europe, and 90% of them had some F1 race over the Tour. Many of them had nothing about the Tour. During the Tour itself almost none of them had anything about the Tour.

In my home country and my country of birth the Tour gets no attention. Alberto Contadors name recognition is between 1 and 3 %. Even in the major cycling countries it hardly dominates the sporting news. To me the Tour is important because im a cycling fan, but to the wider world its no more popular than the nordic skiing world championships or snooker china open or one of the lesser tennis tournaments.

The Giro gets front page news of the 2 sporting national daily papers each day of the race and then 2/3 full pages inside.

The Tour will get the same if it an Italian is leading the race, ie front page sports news. If not there will be the usual 2/3 full pages inside devoted to the Tour.

I call that dominating the sports news in Italy.

I imagine the Le Tour is huge news and not just sport news in France for 3 weeks.

I also imagine that the Spanish sports sections give big space to Contador while he is riding Le Tour or the Giro.

Benotti69 said:
The Giro gets front page news of the 2 sporting national daily papers each day of the race and then 2/3 full pages inside.

The Tour will get the same if it an Italian is leading the race, ie front page sports news. If not there will be the usual 2/3 full pages inside devoted to the Tour.

I call that dominating the sports news in Italy.

I imagine the Le Tour is huge news and not just sport news in France for 3 weeks.

I also imagine that the Spanish sports sections give big space to Contador while he is riding Le Tour or the Giro.

As icefire pointed out, in what was Contadors greatest moment of awesomness at the Tour - Verbier, the Spanish sports paper marca put it on a minor page behind some story about Rauls private life.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tour gets around 16 pages here in the newspaper if something big happens(start, finish, important mountain stage, Philippe Gilbert getting the yellow jersey).

In France it's pretty much the same for the Tour and in Italy the Tour usually does well in sport news paper(we always go to Italy in July and there's plenty of attention to the Tour there, although no where as much as in Belgium. Mostly to Toscane or Lombardia. Cycling is pretty big there.)

I don't know about cycling in Spain, only been there once(or twice if you include Andorra)

The moment that Italy gets a new classics star like Michele Bartoli or Paolo Bettini cycling will be HUGE again there. Football will always be the biggest sport there, but cycling can and will grow in the future if they get some classic stars.

TRENDING THREADS