• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

God dammit Euskatel

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Euskaltel continue to back Mikel Astarloza despite B-sample positive for EPO

EpicFailure.JPG

Raging AWS.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
It's a shame that the samples could not be divided a couple more times and send them to labs from the court system and maybe a major univ to show who screwed up cycling mafia labs are or not. The guy should be able to get some of his own blood or urine to defend himself.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
Actually refreshing to see that the organisation doesn't just cut him loose.

I think this is because of close relations and good communication between the sponsors and the team. The sponsors know what the team is trying to achieve and how they operate, and there appears to be an agreement that the sponsors will support the team also in more 'difficult times'. Perhaps there is a an idea of public perception behind it as well.

Personally, I rather welcomed the reaction as well. It seems more honest at least. The choice given to riders by teams is a kind of "damned if you do, damned if you don't"; they want results that can only be achieved with doping, but don't want riders to dope. Teams should be either willing to support those caught or accept bad results, other options come close to hypocrisy.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
So this looks like it will go through the courts. It will end in tears & his contract ripped up and all at his expense I would imagine. Again just look at Operacion Puerto & this whole Spanish thingy. Agree with the OP, absolute Fail. If he can get his way out of it i will be very interested.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
It's a shame that the samples could not be divided a couple more times and send them to labs from the court system and maybe a major univ to show who screwed up cycling mafia labs are or not. The guy should be able to get some of his own blood or urine to defend himself.

I think it would be prudent to do this if not somewhat cost prohibitive. As it stands, I feel quite comfortable with the way doping controls and positives are handled.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Did anyone here see his press conference? That was the most absurd event I've ever seen in my life. It started with him telling everyone that he had never seen EPO or even heard about it in his life and yada, yada, yada.

At the end, in a very bizarre manner, the event turned into one of the most pathetic pseudo-communist/nationalist episodes I've ever seen in my life. Fists up in the air and all.

I mean, the reason Astarloza is enraged with the entire situation has as much to do with the positive result as the fact that the tests were done in a Madrid laboratory. So, in the end, the press conference turned out to be a carefully planned public display of disgust for performance enhancing drugs and, being that he is Basque, to announce that he was being "set up" by someone and that he was going to spend the last ounce of pride in his body trying to find that person, or persons, that set him up.

Needless to say that Euskaltel-Euskadi is a team created for and by Basques. Due to lack of good results they eventually had to "lower the bar" and bring in talent from the rest of Spain. But this is obviously not working, so I presume they went the usual, easy, route of doping.

Señor_Contador said:
Did anyone here see his press conference? That was the most absurd event I've ever seen in my life. It started with him telling everyone that he had never seen EPO or even heard about it in his life and yada, yada, yada.

At the end, in a very bizarre manner, the event turned into one of the most pathetic pseudo-communist/nationalist episodes I've ever seen in my life. Fists up in the air and all.

I mean, the reason Astarloza is enraged with the entire situation has as much to do with the positive result as the fact that the tests were done in a Madrid laboratory. So, in the end, the press conference turned out to be a carefully planned public display of disgust for performance enhancing drugs and, being that he is Basque, to announce that he was being "set up" by someone and that he was going to spend the last ounce of pride in his body trying to find that person, or persons, that set him up.

Needless to say that Euskaltel-Euskadi is a team created for and by Basques. Due to lack of good results they eventually had to "lower the bar" and bring in talent from the rest of Spain. But this is obviously not working, so I presume they went the usual, easy, route of doping.

Sounds like they have been talking to Armstrong's PR people. :)

I don't blame them for sticking with their guy. Valverde is in the gold jersey with a very good chance of winning the Vuelta, yet Euskaltel is expected to bury Astarloza. Armstrong had six samples test positive for EPO yet the UCI spent money to defend him. It is easy to see how people who already have a chip on their shoulder could look at the situation and think they are being treated unfairly.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't take issue with them standing behind their rider. Innocent until proven guilty and all. So long as they act appropriately when the B sample has been analyzed.

Señor_Contador said:

I know the ETA is leftwing, but I don't know about Astarloza. I only know he is a very nice and honest person (look for example at the twitterreactings directly after his victory from different cyclists, they all said it is a very nice guy). Now this doesn't tell anything about doping usage of course, but it is not that this guy is some kind of stupid lad. If he lied on the press conference, he is a very good liar in my opinion (one of the best tries in recent years). If he didn't, its no more than logical that he says everything he can come up with to prove his innocence. So in both cases the way he did this was the best way possible.

And about Euskaltel - Euskadi, they never ever lowered the bar for Spanish people. Only Basques were, are and will ever be allowed on the team so I don't have a clue why you said this... And even if Astarloza used doping, this doesn't mean directly that the whole team did :rolleyes: (and don't come up with Landaluze please, because he was suspended by the team before anyone else knew about his positive test, because of internal testing).

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's certainly a more civilized reaction than just cutting him loose, but a more constructive reaction would be for someone to encourage him to talk about who supplied him with the stuff.

If it wasn't a team program, the team could make a PR worthy contribution to cleaner cycling by supporting & encouraging him to fess up. If it was a team program, the UCI should encourage him to fess up by offering reduced sanctions for athletes who come forward, as per the WADA 2009 Code. http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/QA_2009_Code_en.pdf (see page 4)

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
Do we really doubt it was a team program?

It seem the most likely explanation to me but, there is no solid proof so I attempt to suspend judgment.

I'm really just trying to point out that, whoever supplied him, it shouldn't be too hard to spread the consequences to other people that also have some responsibility for his doping.....

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
I know the ETA is leftwing, but I don't know about Astarloza. I only know he is a very nice and honest person (look for example at the twitterreactings directly after his victory from different cyclists, they all said it is a very nice guy). Now this doesn't tell anything about doping usage of course, but it is not that this guy is some kind of stupid lad. If he lied on the press conference, he is a very good liar in my opinion (one of the best tries in recent years). If he didn't, its no more than logical that he says everything he can come up with to prove his innocence. So in both cases the way he did this was the best way possible.

And about Euskaltel - Euskadi, they never ever lowered the bar for Spanish people. Only Basques were, are and will ever be allowed on the team so I don't have a clue why you said this... And even if Astarloza used doping, this doesn't mean directly that the whole team did :rolleyes: (and don't come up with Landaluze please, because he was suspended by the team before anyone else knew about his positive test, because of internal testing).

I'm just saying he politicized something that is purely sports-related.

Also, Samuel Sánchez is from Asturias. Asturians are not Basques.

Astarloza doped up and that's all there is to it. There is no need to get all huffy and puffy about it. All non-dopers are asking is that when you get busted for EPO all you have to do is shut up and leave the sport.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
Topicstarter would impress me if he could, besides his cursing, also spell correctly.

I fail to see what I got wrong. But then again something can be straight in front of me, and I will still miss it.

Señor_Contador said:
I'm just saying he politicized something that is purely sports-related.

Also, Samuel Sánchez is from Asturias. Asturians are not Basques.

Astarloza doped up and that's all there is to it. There is no need to get all huffy and puffy about it. All non-dopers are asking is that when you get busted for EPO all you have to do is shut up and leave the sport.

Samuel Sánchez is racing with Euskaltel because in his youth he rode in the Basque country. Somehow he came into contact with Maradiga (manager of Euskaltel) and that was the beginning of a long relationship and so he ended up as an Euskaltelrider. The fact that he can earn twice as much money elsewhere but still stays with Euskaltel because of the special relationship between him and the team says enough. There is only one team for which he will leave Euskaltel I think, and that is for the new team of Alonso (if that will ever be reality) because he is a friend of Alonso.
This is, as you see, for sure an exception and generally only Basque riders are allowed in Euskaltel and that policy will never change.

@craig: Its Euskaltel, not Euskatel. I see that same mistake so often that I become fed up with that. And besides I think cursing will never make a statement stronger. ;)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I fail to see what I got wrong. But then again something can be straight in front of me, and I will still miss it.

You missed an L in Euskaltel!

Harsh - I know.... I would suggest not to blame spell check - admit the error and you can expect a low sentence, you may be allowed back on the board within a year or so ;)

Also - I have checked AWS -what has Astarloza got to do with the "American Welding Society" :eek:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
You missed an L in Euskaltel!

Harsh - I know.... I would suggest not to blame spell check - admit the error and you can expect a low sentence, you may be allowed back on the board within a year or so ;)

Also - I have checked AWS -what has Astarloza got to do with the "American Welding Society" :eek:

AWS - As We Speak.

I would go cycling, but my bike is getting fixed ATM.

"The damage been done to my family will never be repaired"
Mikel Astarloza stands firm and keeps saying that he never used any illegal substances to win a race.

How are you doing right now?
Personally I am doing better now. The last month was the worst period in my life, the hardest hit I ever received. That's why I gave the press conference. It felt like a liberation, I could finally say what I wanted to say. Since then life started to pick up again, I got a bit of grip on the situation. Before, I wanted to hide. I will keep saying the same thing I said to the end. I will defend my innocence.

Are you aware that many people don't believe you?
I know that I am not in a good position, my word is contrary to the lab results, I am aware of that. But I am optimistic about going in appeal. If I did use drugs I would confess. I would acknowlegde that.

If you work together with the sports authorities you can get a penalty of only one year instead of two years.
I know there are ways to shorten the penalty, for example if I said I doped. But I didn't dope! I wouldn't say I doped even if I got no penalty at all! I then rather be two years suspended. I have good reasons for saying what I say, other authorized people believe in my credibility. I will never confess something I didn't do.

How was life since the positive?
The first two days since the news I didn't train. That was in the weekend, on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday I started training again.

Do you think about the situation in which you're in?
How couldn't I? I think about it all the time. But I know what I have done and I can stand firm.

What are the reactions of the people on the street? Did you get much support?
More than anything I got much support from the people, the family and my friends. Many people believe in my words. I realize that it is hard to believe a cyclist who tested positive because there are many cases of doped cyclists these days. But I didn't lie, and I didn't use any illegal substances either. I didn't lie. I keep saying the same thing. I am innocent.

You say you didn't dope, but the analysis and the counteranalysis is positive. How can that be?
I can not accuse anyone without proof. I can think of seventeen thousand theories of what happened, but I don't know the real story, for I have no proof of what I am thinking. Everything I can do is saying the truth, and that is that I am innocent.

Why should we believe this? Why can the people believe in you?
Because its true. I can repeat it time and time again. If I doped, I would have the courage to say, yes, I doped. And I would go home and do something else. But I don't.

Did you cry?
Yes, because of the helplessness, the shock, and the fact that I don't know why it is me that got into this ****. I am a guy with very expressional emotional feelings, so yes, I cried in anger.

Did you receive much support?
From many people, though I got more calls and messages after I won the Tourstage. If anyone supported me it were my friends and my family. That helped me a lot, though maybe they don't know that. But I am indebted to many people and if they need help in some part of their lifes, I will help and support them.

The press conference in the hotel Amara Plaza was a striking and surprising event.
Why are you surprised? I felt indebted to many people and I thought I had to do this. It is the best decision I made in the worst period of my life. I wanted to tell everyone the feelings of my heart.

How do you remember the stage you won in the Tour?
In my memories and with photos and newspapers in my house. Whatever will happen, nobody is going to erase that memory!

How do you see your future?
I am sure my career is not yet over. I want to prove that I am clean, that my word is true, that there can be a false positive. But I can not end my career like this, on paper.

Does your team support you?
How many teams support positive cyclists? They do. That means something. They have the most data and analysis of everyone from my controls.

For whom it was worse, for you or for your family?
It was harder for them. The damage done to them is unforgivable. They have been worse than me.

Is it true that you use a hypobaric tent?
Yes, I use it now for four years. It is totally legal. There are more things I do to prepare for racing, but it are all legal things.

http://www.diariovasco.com/20090910/deportes/ciclismo/dano-hecho-familia-irreparable-20090910.html

Further reading also on cyclingnews, where the team doubts the reliability of the dopingtests and hires several experts to prove the innocence of Astarloza. If anything, I love their support for their rider and their courage.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The B-sample is done and Astarloza continues to profess his innocence. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that he really believes that he is innocent because he didn't take EPO. He probably thought he was transfusing his own blood and got someone else's blood who had used it. Of course, this begs the question, "Why didn't he test positive for homologous transfusion?"

But, then again, probably the simplest answer is the most likely. He used and now he lied.

TRENDING THREADS