• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Going Slow???

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I thought I had pretty good balance and bike handling skills. That is until I go slow. I guess the advice I am looking for is how to improve my handling at slow speed (to the point where i can track stand at an intersection until the road is clear to go).

Any advice?

TheNJDevil said:
I thought I had pretty good balance and bike handling skills. That is until I go slow. I guess the advice I am looking for is how to improve my handling at slow speed (to the point where i can track stand at an intersection until the road is clear to go).

Any advice?
i think rollers will help a lot with that. keeps you spinning smooth, and your
balance will get very good. and a lot less boring for indoor training when you
compare it to a stationary trainer. when you are new to rollers, give yourself a place to "bail out". meaning if you get shaky, you want to be able to grab something to steady yourself. once you get good, you will be able to no hands it if you want. very good for balance.:cool:

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Try practicing track standing on a gentle uphill grade in your smallest gear in street shoes on platform pedals in grass. There you have every possible advantage. Add a beer or two and you will have it licked in no time.