• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Good bike shops in NYC

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Are you from the US ? Whats your motive? If your buying a new bike there are a couple of nice high end shops (Cadence,Renaissance,Toga, NYC Velo in Mhtn, Roy's and R&A in Brooklyn) For clothes and stuff there are lots of places.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Tough scene in NYC

You would think that there would be many great shops in NY. Yet the financial pressure doing business in NYC, w/ high overhead, makes them consistently grumpy and stressed out.
Cadence was a highend shop catering to Wall St bonus spenders, and amazingly they went tits up?! I know, how is this possible?
Try NYCVelo, one of my former employees went there, and they seem to have a good vibe.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
outlaws10 said:
I'll be in NYC next week and was hoping someone can recommend a good bike shop?

NYC is quite big, can you say what part you will be in? I agree with some of previous recommendations: NYC Velo on the Lower East side is a good shop and supports the local bike scene, Toga is also good near Lincoln Center. Respectfully, Renaissance is about the worst shop in the City - they charge for bike boxes there even if they are going to throw them out at the end of the day! In Brooklyn R and A is OK but it's a crap shoot as to whether you will get someone helpful.

The only bike shop worth going to in NYC is R&A in Brooklyn.

They have a bigger and better selection of frames, wheels, clothing and accessories than many other shops put together. They truly blow every other shop out of the water with their inventory, and it would be a waste of time going anywhere else.

Now, if you're looking for a competent sales staff who will take time to chat with you about the latest gee-whiz carbon gear and the most recent doping scandals, stick to the forums.

Friendliness and product knowledge are really not where the average NYC bike shop excels at, so don't waste your time looking for it.

Since you will only be visiting you don't want to waste time going from shop to shop. There really isn't anything out of this world to see at any of the other shops that you won't see at R&A. These guys have EVERYTHING.

R&A is a series of storefronts in Brooklyn, a couple of minutes from Manhattan by subway (more if traveling by car due to traffic). This is what it looks like-

9jhac1.jpg

If you lose your bearings for whatever reason, just keep in mind you will be on 5th Avenue, a couple of blocks from Flatbush Avenue. Across the street from the bike shop you will see a supermarket with a big parking lot. *By the way, I am in no way shape or form affiliated with this shop. I just happen to live in NYC and know of what I speak when it comes to the bike shops in my neck of the woods.

2pt9izt.jpg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys.
I'm coming from Australia and was hoping the pricing would be better over there. I'm thinking of getting a new set of aero wheels.
I'll be mainly around LES / SOHO area but if there's a good shop not too far I'm happy to pop in.

Berzin said:
The only bike shop worth going to in NYC is R&A in Brooklyn.

They have a bigger and better selection of frames, wheels, clothing and accessories than many other shops put together. They truly blow every other shop out of the water with their inventory, and it would be a waste of time going anywhere else.

Now, if you're looking for a competent sales staff who will take time to chat with you about the latest gee-whiz carbon gear and the most recent doping scandals, stick to the forums.

Friendliness and product knowledge are really not where the average NYC bike shop excels at, so don't waste your time looking for it.

Since you will only be visiting you don't want to waste time going from shop to shop. There really isn't anything out of this world to see at any of the other shops that you won't see at R&A. These guys have EVERYTHING.

R&A is a series of storefronts in Brooklyn, a couple of minutes from Manhattan by subway (more if traveling by car due to traffic). This is what it looks like-

9jhac1.jpg

If you lose your bearings for whatever reason, just keep in mind you will be on 5th Avenue, a couple of blocks from Flatbush Avenue. Across the street from the bike shop you will see a supermarket with a big parking lot. *By the way, I am in no way shape or form affiliated with this shop. I just happen to live in NYC and know of what I speak when it comes to the bike shops in my neck of the woods.

2pt9izt.jpg

It´s true, R&A have the largest high end frame, fork, wheelset inventory in the city. For a cyclist it´s a drool fest.

TRENDING THREADS