• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Good job.

A while ago I was criticizing the admins for not doing anything about trolls and sockpuppets so now that you're doing such a good job with it I thought I'd make a post saying thank you for a job well done. That goes for the moderators as well as the admins.

So, thank you. :)

Thank you.

I think you can understand that banning a user is not a decision to be made lightly or quickly.

You can also understand that a discussion of such a matter would not be made public.

So it might look like nothing is happening, but there might be lots of actions behind the scene.

Susan

A

Anonymous

i wish youd tell us when people get banned though, cos i never notice... i think i must walk around with my eyes shut..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
i wish youd tell us when people get banned though, cos i never notice... i think i must walk around with my eyes shut..

WE need a noticeboard for who and why people are banned?
Maybe a naughty corner for bad little posters

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
if i may, i would like to put forth a slightly contrary view on this matter.

frankly, i don't understand the point of banning the trolls and sockpuppets. banning a troll is like saying, "the troll must be banned because i can't stop myself from responding to its provocation." implied is the fact that the people who reply to its posts are complicit in furthering troll behavior. if being a troll is bad then troll baiting should be just as bad. trolls die or go away when you don't feed them by reacting. banning sockpuppets seems pointless as they are quickly discovered and its kind of fun trying to figure out who they are. as for the one guy who was a pervasive troll/sockpuppet, many people had him on ignore, obviating the need to ban him. personally, i found him to be entertaining sometimes and i guess the people who would always argue with him did, as well, although i don't think i ever responded to any of his posts.

i think it would save a lot of time and energy for getting rid of the spammers if the one major troll/sockpuppet and any other subsequent ones were just left alone by everybody. put them on ignore or just don't respond to them.

what does everybody else think about this?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
WE need a noticeboard for who and why people are banned?
Maybe a naughty corner for bad little posters

+1

good idea. perhaps there could be a sticky thread in the "about the forum" folder with maybe a grey list for (suspected) sockpuppets or people about to be banned and the reasons why and a black list for the banned and the reasons why.

gregod said:
if i may, i would like to put forth a slightly contrary view on this matter.

frankly, i don't understand the point of banning the trolls and sockpuppets. banning a troll is like saying, "the troll must be banned because i can't stop myself from responding to its provocation." implied is the fact that the people who reply to its posts are complicit in furthering troll behavior. if being a troll is bad then troll baiting should be just as bad. trolls die or go away when you don't feed them by reacting. banning sockpuppets seems pointless as they are quickly discovered and its kind of fun trying to figure out who they are. as for the one guy who was a pervasive troll/sockpuppet, many people had him on ignore, obviating the need to ban him. personally, i found him to be entertaining sometimes and i guess the people who would always argue with him did, as well, although i don't think i ever responded to any of his posts.

i think it would save a lot of time and energy for getting rid of the spammers if the one major troll/sockpuppet and any other subsequent ones were just left alone by everybody. put them on ignore or just don't respond to them.

what does everybody else think about this?

Uhm, takes way too much self control, lots more fun to just flame 'em until a mod notices.:D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
gregod said:
+1

good idea. perhaps there could be a sticky thread in the "about the forum" folder with maybe a grey list for (suspected) sockpuppets or people about to be banned and the reasons why and a black list for the banned and the reasons why.

Yeah like the Arbiter//BPC/Max Power/Earth Tribe/Great White/Hombre el Asso

I didn't want to create a new thread so instead I thought I'd jump on this old (too old) one that seems to be the last positive forum feedback!

Anyway, I lost my cycling forum home a while back; somewhere to hang out during a GT (in this case the Vuelta). I actually found this place fairly well informed (no sn1ggering, you there at the back!) and learnt a fair bit (although having a thick skin helps). A big thank you in particular to:

- Anyone who did a stage profile/preview
- The ongoing thankless work of the Mods (even those I disagree with)
- Those who beaver away at the power to weight calculations in the clinic
- Anyone I've had a ding-d0ng with on whatever was the topic of the day

So cheers and maybe see you next season sometime.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I know this may sound like kiss-*ssing, but I have to agree that the moderators are doing an excellent job for the most part. Heavy is the head that wears the crown and any other sign of authority. As a new member, the first thing that struck me is that, for all the varied influences, this site is a clean, graffiti-less, relatively cultured (like probiotics) place to dialog.
Thanks,
Quixote
Senior Member in the Hearts of the the few, the strong, the brave, and the kids who sell Bag Balm at the local market.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Quixote said:
I know this may sound like kiss-*ssing, but I have to agree that the moderators are doing an excellent job for the most part. Heavy is the head that wears the crown and any other sign of authority. As a new member, the first thing that struck me is that, for all the varied influences, this site is a clean, graffiti-less, relatively cultured (like probiotics) place to dialog.
Thanks,
Quixote
Senior Member in the Hearts of the the few, the strong, the brave, and the kids who sell Bag Balm at the local market.

You really are quite original aren't you :p