• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

GP de Walloonie

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Sorry but I refuse to believe you met 99.9% of our 16.694.044 people.

I was talking about how some people didn't even understand what ça va means. And some of my Dutch friends who study in Ghent absolutely suck in any course that has French in it :p

El Pistolero said:
I was talking about how some people didn't even understand what ça va means. And some of my Dutch friends who study in Ghent absolutely suck in any course that has French in it :p

Vous devriez être assez stupide comme un étudiant hollandais pour aller étudier à Gand, donc je ne pense pas que c'est un échantillon représentatif.

I KEEED OF COURSE!!!!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
N'avez-vous pas lu mon appel passionné que les hollandais peuvent lire et parler le français dans la dernière page?

Yes, I did. Some do, most don't. I've been to a Dutch school once, you don't learn French there.

But I wasn't actually making insinuations about the Dutch sucking at French :p I was just saying I wasn't watching Exqi as I don't even have digital TV :eek:

And if I get the choice to watch it live on tv in French or in Dutch on a stream, I know what to pick.

----------------------------------------------

Lol, Gilbert must have some serious fanboys in Spain:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Gilbert

El Pistolero said:
Yes, I did. Some do, most don't. I've been to a Dutch school once, you don't learn French there.

But I wasn't actually making insinuations about the Dutch sucking at French :p I was just saying I wasn't watching Exqi as I don't even have digital TV :eek:

And if I get the choice to watch it live on tv in French or in Dutch on a stream, I know what to pick.

You can learn French at a Dutch high school. It's just not required anymore. English has overtaken French and German as required foreign languages.

That's probably a correct decision, young people nowadays are better off learning English than French or German. But I continue to take umbrage at the idea that the Dutch are not good at languages. For a monolingual country I'd rank us extremely high in proficiency in foreign languages. I find it more hilarious that in a bilingual country like Belgium, great swathes of the population cannot properly speak one of the languages of the country (I refer of course to Walloons and Dutch).

This problem is endemic among French speakers though. Having lived in French speaking Switzerland for a bit you'll find practically noone speaks German or Italian, whereas plenty of German or Italian Swiss people speak perfectly reasonable French.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
You can learn French at a Dutch high school. It's just not required anymore. English has overtaken French and German as required foreign languages.

That's probably a correct decision, young people nowadays are better off learning English than French or German. But I continue to take umbrage at the idea that the Dutch are not good at languages. For a monolingual country I'd rank us extremely high in proficiency in foreign languages. I find it more hilarious that in a bilingual country like Belgium, great swathes of the population cannot properly speak one of the languages of the country (I refer of course to Walloons and Dutch).

This problem is endemic among French speakers though. Having lived in French speaking Switzerland for a bit you'll find practically noone speaks German or Italian, whereas plenty of German or Italian Swiss people speak perfectly reasonable French.

I meant that the French given there is so incredibly easy that it is impossible to get a grasp of the language(otherwise I would have said you can't learn French there). The difference with Flemish schools is pretty big where you have lot's and lot's and lot's and way too much French. I never said Dutchies sucked at foreign languages, but French isn't one of them. Why would anyone want to anyway unless it's forced upon them.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Lol, Gilbert must have some serious fanboys in Spain:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Gilbert

:D

A finales del mes de Mayo, ganará una etapa y la general de la Vuelta a Bélgica, convirtiéndose en un héroe y en el ciclista de moda para todo el país.

And some well deserved Jelle fanboyism too:

Tras el Tour se impone en la clásica española por excelencia, la Clásica de San Sebastián, con la inestimable colaboración de su compatriota Jelle Vanendert. Gilbert realiza un tremendo ataque el Alto de Miracruz

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Nielsa said:

A finales del mes de Mayo, ganará una etapa y la general de la Vuelta a Bélgica, convirtiéndose en un héroe y en el ciclista de moda para todo el país.

And some well deserved Jelle fanboyism too:

Tras el Tour se impone en la clásica española por excelencia, la Clásica de San Sebastián, con la inestimable colaboración de su compatriota Jelle Vanendert. Gilbert realiza un tremendo ataque el Alto de Miracruz

Con carreras favorables para Gilbert como el Gran Premio de Montreal, el Campeonato del mundo de Ciclismo, el Giro del Piamonte o el Giro de Lombardía, Philippe puede completar una temporada histórica, probablemente una de las mejores temporadas, sino la mejor temporada de nuestro siglo que un ciclista ha realizado.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I've read some of his blog posts before and got a lot of respect for him as a human being. This is what he wrote about Pablo Lastras (which made me like Pablo a lot as well):

Pablo Lastras.
Pablo is, quite literally, the nicest professional bike rider I have ever raced with. If he needs to get by you he asks nicely and then when you move out of his way–he thanks you as if you have just saved his first-born child from the jaws of a black bear. Also, he encourages me. I have said hello to him once, in passing, but other than that we haven’t spoken…yet, when I’m going backwards on a climb, he will encourage me, saying things like ‘come on Taylor’, or ‘you can do it, Taylor’. Pablo is a man who leads by example, and I’m incredibly honored to be racing here with him. Some would say that *******s finish first, especially in this sport… Pablo is here, not to tell you, but to show you that even nice guys can win bike races, and win them in style. You’re the man Pablo!

pastronef said:
it made it look easy.
i would like to be a Gilbert fan, it would be amazing to see the races
i don't say i don't like him
just i don't have goose bumps like when Anton won last week at the Vuelta

I still get the goose bumps.

Looking good for Copenhagen. :D

Nielsa said:
Those are some Gilbert fanboys indeed but I think Taylor Phinney beats them:

http://taylorphinney.com/2011/09/14/my-fake-real-interview-w-phillipe-gilbert-after-gp-wallonie/

Wow - that is very funny. He has a sense of humour. Makes me wanna like him - if only the love-fest from Eurosport would ease up he might have a chance at getting some actual fans

yeah, gilbert has the goods and the panache and whatnot. yet I cant help feeling more than a bit riled by his apparently neverending winning spree :D

at the mo there are no legs to beat him 1 on 1 if the finish is even slightly uphill. only tactics will do, as costa proved. big up to him.

hope someone smashes him at the worlds. preferably boom or cancellara.

El Pistolero said:
Con carreras favorables para Gilbert como el Gran Premio de Montreal, el Campeonato del mundo de Ciclismo, el Giro del Piamonte o el Giro de Lombardía, Philippe puede completar una temporada histórica, probablemente una de las mejores temporadas, sino la mejor temporada de nuestro siglo que un ciclista ha realizado.

I had no idea you had such a good command of the Spanish language. Did you write the rest of his wiki page as well? :p

Sagan could challenge Gilbert on a hilly finish i reckon. He's also better maybe all-round.
The only problem is he is too young still so he does not race against Gilbert often. Sagan shall be like LA winning the WC but pigeonholed as a classics rider and then win big GT's around the age of 28. He might not be as prolific but he can be like Jaja.

Dunno if Boom can produce enough after 260+ km against Gilbert. Does Boom have any significant results in long (260~km) races (fill me in here)?

Same goes for Sagan.

If there aren't any significant data for comparison - then we'll find out soon enough anyway :)

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Shardi said:
Dunno if Boom can produce enough after 260+ km against Gilbert. Does Boom have any significant results in long (260~km) races (fill me in here)?

Same goes for Sagan.

If there aren't any significant data for comparison - then we'll find out soon enough anyway :)

As a positive for Sagan he just finished a very hard Vuelta and one the last stage .

TRENDING THREADS