• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

During the last time trial of the 2004 Vuelta, the broadcast used GPS to give realtime time differences between riders on the course. Or am I imagining this? If not does anyone know the technology details of what was used and why it is not used more now? I seems like a much better technological solution could be devised than the rather crude and confusing way time gaps are reported on stages. It seems like a lot of time gaps might be derived from people watching the video feeds and timing when groups pass distinguishing landmarks.

ingsve said:
I think alot of races use this but the Vuelta has been using the word GPS in their graphics which might be the diffrence.

So why can't they have the gaps update in realtime at the bottom of the screen? Instead it is like the gaps come in via smoke signals and are then reported by the commentator or the occasional graphic, often leading to a lot of confusion.

BroDeal said:
So why can't they have the gaps update in realtime at the bottom of the screen? Instead it is like the gaps come in via smoke signals and are then reported by the commentator or the occasional graphic, often leading to a lot of confusion.

I guess simply because not all races use it...And it may also be a queston of how they use it. It might be that it's easier to setup and use on one day races in flanders than it is to set up and use continually at a Gt but then again the Vuelta does it so why can't the Giro...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I seem to remember something about the traditional methods being for the race organizers and GPS being for TV, or the other way round.