• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Graham Brown

I noticed that Baden Cooke said the following about Graham Brown after stage 2 of the Jacob series:
"So he's basically come to the front and tried to run me into the barrier. In the space of 500 metres, they've nearly knocked me off twice. I might be trying to slow down the pace to help my man, but I'm not endangering anyone's life or trying to put anyone into the barriers. It's very amusing to me that he's waving his hand and yelling and screaming and trying to put me into the barriers."

So Baden used a legal tactic to help a team mate, but it seems Graham reacted badly, and dangerously. I seem to recall he has a history of this. Am I right? Does he have a bad reputation for this in his sprinting?

I realise sprinters get emotional, but deliberately potentially putting another rider in danger of crashing??

Offtheback said:
YES[/b]

Does he have a bad reputation for this in his sprinting? YES

I realise sprinters get emotional, but deliberately potentially putting another rider in danger of crashing??

Graeme Brown is talented but he's also a loose cannon that I'd hate to be in a sprint with.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Graeme Brown is talented but he's also a loose cannon that I'd hate to be in a sprint with.

Heckuva job, Brownie.

Nic138146_600.jpg

A

Anonymous

I seem to remember in a few races contested with Robbie McEwen last summer, that GB said something on TV along the lines of:

It's great to see the two best sprinters in the world go head to head

(not a direct quote, but it was along those lines)

Robbie was there, but who was the other one of the two best in the world, Graeme? :rolleyes:

GB has always seemed a little bit odd to me...

Mountain Goat said:
I seem to remember in a few races contested with Robbie McEwen last summer, that GB said something on TV along the lines of:

Robbie was there, but who was the other one of the two best in the world, Graeme? :rolleyes:

GB has always seemed a little bit odd to me...

He also seems to be a bit chubbier than many of the others? Enjoys the beer to much? :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Brown is all mouth and no palmares.

He is an interesting cycling personality in that he has a history of dirty riding and also a history of crying that everyone else is riding illegally (often in the same incident!)

I raced the Bay crits (Support race) a number of years ago and was present when Brown tried to force Robbie into a truck parked on the side of the course during the final sprint. (I think it was the Barwon Heads event stage) He then complained to the commisaires that Robbie was sprinting erratically.

I also recall seeing our Mr Brown win a mass start event on the track (can't quite remember what it was though) and my last memory of it was the way that he swept up the banking straight after crossing the line and caused the back half of the field to have a very nasty crash into the barrier.

Personally, I don't care if he sorts himself out and one day wins an Olympics or Worlds (no chance of that though) I will still feel embarrased that he is an Australian.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Brown is all mouth and no palmares.
Personally, I don't care if he sorts himself out and one day wins an Olympics or Worlds (no chance of that though) I will still feel embarrased that he is an Australian.

Huh?

He already has 2 Olympic gold medals, and a world championship gold medal..

Not arguing about the mouth though...

A

Anonymous

LongSprint said:
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this:
_dsc1352_600.jpg

:eek: Is he always that... ermm... "well nourished", or is that a Christmas/early season thing?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:
:eek: Is he always that... ermm... "well nourished", or is that a Christmas/early season thing?

If his team manager is to be believed, he has occasional bouts of "screw this, I don't feel like training for a few weeks". Usually in the middle of the season or just before a three-week race.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hornet said:
Huh?

He already has 2 Olympic gold medals, and a world championship gold medal..

Not arguing about the mouth though...

Sorry, you are right I should have been more specific. Since we were talking about him as a road sprinter I was just referring to the road versions of those competitions.

Aren't his medals from the Team Pursuit though?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:

GB has always seemed a little bit fat to me...

fixed it for ya!

Nov 20, 2009
www.vidmandesign.com
Talk about being in the right spot at the right time yesterday at the final round of the Bay Crit Series...

I was standing on the very inside of the second corner. So close I could have reached out and touched them.

Anyway, the Mazda team had a man in the break and a man (Hayman) in the second bunch. Brown was in the second bunch also. Hayman was doing as ANY good team mate would do, slowing down through the corners to give his team mate a better chance to get away. Mind you, the front group were well away at this stage when the following happened right in front of me.

As they came into the second corner, Brown yells out, clear as day; "Hayman - you FU(K1NG C0CK!" and then as they exited the corner, he reached out, grabbed Haymans knicks, pushed him HARD while holding onto his knicks and tried to pull him down to the ground. Everyone on the corner (inc what I took to be a commissioner) saw it! Pretty disgusting behavior and it left everyone watching shaking their heads.

TRENDING THREADS