• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Graham Watson: Keeper of Omerta

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
''I’m surprised USADA hasn’t also fixed an ankle-bracelet to Armstrong’s leg, just in case he tries to sneak into a triathlon or ultra-distance running event in disguise''

The sad downfall of an otherwise great photographer annex fanboy.

The only thing I missed in his writing was 'wichhunt'.

Ergo, don't buy his work.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It is clear Watson does not understand his core audience, hard core cycling fans. It is fine for lance to spew absurd babble to his fans as most of them have little understanding of the sport. They are lance fans, not cycling fans.

Watson fails to realizes that stuff like this marginalizes him with his target market. Stupid move

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It is clear Watson does not understand his core audience, hard core cycling fans. It is fine for lance to spew absurd babble to his fans as most of them have little understanding of the sport. They are lance fans, not cycling fans.

Watson fails to realizes that stuff like this marginalizes him with his target market. Stupid move

It's clear that Watson's beak has been adequately wet over the years, and maybe there is more to this position he takes that might appear...is he a beneficiary of other aspects of the pyramid??

Fortyninefourteen said:
It's clear that Watson's beak has been adequately wet over the years, and maybe there is more to this position he takes that might appear...is he a beneficiary of other aspects of the pyramid??

Watson the official photographer for Bruyneel's Astana and published the odd book on Lance.

He also refused to publish any photos of Contador on his site after his doping ban!

Apparently he says he won't put banned cyclists on his website.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Watson the official photographer for Bruyneel's Astana and published the odd book on Lance.

He also refused to publish any photos of Contador on his site after his doping ban!

Apparently he says he won't put banned cyclists on his website.

Wonder if he won't take a massive hit with those who are standing behind a cleaner sport: teams, race organizers, sponsors, associates.....

We'll see who walks the walk after that visit to the vomitorium he posted.

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd still buy his shot of a muddied Camenzind crossing the line, head down, at Valkenburg in '98.

Some of what Watson says is dreadful, but at the end of the day, most of the winners and riders he's photographed (wonderfully) over the last 20 years or so were doped.

And he adds:

So I think lot of good will arise from the USADA investigation, with even tighter drug controls, sharper administration of the sport, and a greater co-operation between all the national anti-drug agencies. Short-term agony but long-term bliss - how about that?

Watson rambles in that blog but he says a lot of good things among the bad things. And I think he should get some credit for that.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Just in case anyone doubts Watson is an omerta upholder

https://twitter.com/cquad/status/286638083254919168

Only Watson would call an organized doping program that pushed riders to dope this

A_pX0WvCIAAKugi.png

bollox

from cn news story today i read.................re lance

All I do know is he’s not the manipulative ‘bully’ certain members of the media have tried to portray him as in their tabloid stories. He was ambitious, ruthless, highly talented, tough, he knew how to lead his teammates and intimidate his rivals to make sure he won

sometimes 'adults' should learn to stay quiet...................to me 2nd part
of statement highlights what a 'bully' lance was

graham watson........................the sports been good to you but how can anyone be so stooopid?

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Keeping quiet VS vigorously defending

I understand all the cyclists who just keep quiet, but Morons like this tool who go on the attack for LA? Does he have a warehouse full of his banal picture books he can't shift? Is he so desperate now that the gravy train is off its tracks? This quote sums up the depth of his intellect.

"He didn’t kill anyone along the way, and as a father of five, he’s no child molester either."

Let's forget for the moment that being a father does NOT rule out being a child molester, or how many cyclists have suffered medical problems trying to keep up with LA's doping. Is a pile of dead bodies the only thing that can make LA look bad?

GW should be consigned to the dung heap along with his sycophantic snapshots.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Good D#

He didn’t kill anyone along the way, and as a father of five, he’s no child molester either

So all you rapists, bankrobbers, cyber scammers, drug dealers, arms traffickers, wifebeaters and what not, if you didn't actually kill anyone or molest any children while doing your thing ... you're good. (O.J. Simpson and priests are not)

But is he any different from a President, an army General, a corporate leader of industry, a career politician

In many cases, when these guys get caught with their pants down, or snorting coke, their reputation goes down the toilet as well. It's that characteristic called "integrity". They'll just have to find new careers... just like LA now.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Watson raises some interesting questions about what it takes to get to the top. From someone who's most likely be with earshot of all of Armstrong's contemporaries it is interesting that he sees the guy as not much different than the rest. Cycling is a typical human endeavor after all. Pretty honest statement about the "ruthless." A common characteristic of a most "champions." Ever been around the Big Dance and on inside? You can smell it in the air.

Like I posted before; these guys are all cut from the same clothe. You can accept that or deny it, but I see most here have the ankle braclet ready thinking the human nature of codes of silence will ever change.

I see one guy sorta down from this, but most people are already making him some kind of myrtar. Some will win. Some will loose. Whatever.

I hope the the sport's cleaner, but how far is USADA's reach?

rickshaw said:
I understand all the cyclists who just keep quiet, but Morons like this tool who go on the attack for LA? Does he have a warehouse full of his banal picture books he can't shift? Is he so desperate now that the gravy train is off its tracks? This quote sums up the depth of his intellect.

"He didn’t kill anyone along the way, and as a father of five, he’s no child molester either."

Let's forget for the moment that being a father does NOT rule out being a child molester, or how many cyclists have suffered medical problems trying to keep up with LA's doping. Is a pile of dead bodies the only thing that can make LA look bad?

GW should be consigned to the dung heap along with his sycophantic snapshots.

This. Spot on

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Carlos Sastre and Cadel Evans got to the top of the TDF for one time, and I have never once heard of them being so ruthless to get there (no claim on if they were "clean" or not). But this guy who has made $$$ off of Lance is creating justifications for Lance's disgusting behavior with a false analogy. This defiantly is the "win at any cost" mentality at work. Graham Watson and Sally Jenkins, Fabiani, etal all part of the Lance propaganda machine.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Watson raises some interesting questions about what it takes to get to the top. From someone who's most likely be with earshot of all of Armstrong's contemporaries it is interesting that he sees the guy as not much different than the rest. Cycling is a typical human endeavor after all. Pretty honest statement about the "ruthless." A common characteristic of a most "champions." Ever been around the Big Dance and on inside? You can smell it in the air.

Like I posted before; these guys are all cut from the same clothe. You can accept that or deny it, but I see most here have the ankle braclet ready thinking the human nature of codes of silence will ever change.

I see one guy sorta down from this, but most people are already making him some kind of myrtar. Some will win. Some will loose. Whatever.

Why didn't you just quote the lyrics from Dust in the wind and be done with it? If you're going to be unoriginal, at least do it in song.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I see that you did quote Don't stop believing, but really, that's pretty weak sauce, right?

Some of 'em just sing the blues
For the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and
Endless, strangers, waiting...

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Deagol said:
Carlos Sastre and Cadel Evans got to the top of the TDF for one time, and I have never once heard of them being so ruthless to get there (no claim on if they were "clean" or not). But this guy who has made $$$ off of Lance is creating justifications for Lance's disgusting behavior with a false analogy. This defiantly is the "win at any cost" mentality at work. Graham Watson and Sally Jenkins, Fabiani, etal all part of the Lance propaganda machine.

Brace yourself. The new talking points are about to hit......

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:
Brace yourself. The new talking points are about to hit......

I can see it now: Cadel Evans threatens to "cut off your head" if you step on his dog.. ruthless monster.

Or Carols Sastre chases down and spits on a break-away rider, the story no one knew...

;)

BillytheKid said:

We do all agree in one thing: Champions are driven, goal orientated, thirsty for success, extremely disciplined, & yes -"ruthless" ................

BUT ARMSTRONG WAS NEVER A CHAMPION- HE WAS A THUG!!!!

TRENDING THREADS