• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gran Fondo Hincapie (Feat. Lance)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
#letlanceride!!!
letle+viride.jpeg

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
They can ban him all they want. Again, what can they do to him...give him double bannation? The only consequence is to do something to other people who participate...anyone think they're going to do that?
And they still can't stop him from going out and riding on the road when the other riders do if he so chooses.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I still find it hard to believe that so many people are still so starstruck that they want to ride with Hincapie, Dopeheimer or Armstrong and are prepared to forget what a bunch of d-bags these guys are. What chance is there of ever cleaning up pro-cycling if the cycling public continue to support these cheats?

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
TrackCynic said:
I still find it hard to believe that so many people are still so starstruck that they want to ride with Hincapie, Dopeheimer or Armstrong and are prepared to forget what a bunch of d-bags these guys are. What chance is there of ever cleaning up pro-cycling if the cycling public continue to support these cheats?

Agreed. Answer: None. I have a lot of friends still in this mindset. I don't get it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It's a joke, where were the US cycling bodies 10 or so years ago?? In cahoots with Armstrong and now suddenly they are all like we are going to enforce the rules too little to late fellas.

If Hincapie is dumb enough to think that getting the US Postal team or part there of to ride his grand fondo isn't going to come across as flipping the bird to USADA then he is mistaken.

It goes to show that these guys do not believe that they have done anything wrong, its just like they are still convincing themselves it was ok to dope cause everyone else is doing it - nothing has changed.

TrackCynic said:

1. You could try leaflets at the start line, previous to the event, to try and discourage some ... you might do surprisingly well with that. I'd emphasize the 'I find it hard to believe' premise.

2. Focussing on G's GF and how he and his ole buds are getting together to do a charity ride, to shoot the breeze and to drink a few beers ... is the ONLY way to clean up cycling today. Why'd ya think the Clinic watchdogs jumped on this like super resonant whoopie cushion?

As to the question of whether the ban covers this event, then it's pretty clear it does. I saw reference elsewhere to the WADA code that applies:

Status During Ineligibility

10.10.1 Prohibition Against Participation During Ineligibility

No Athlete or other Person who has been declared Ineligible may, during the period of Ineligibility, participate in any capacity in a Competition or activity (other than authorized anti-doping education or rehabilitation programs) authorized or organized by any Signatory, Signatory's member organization, or a club or other member organization of a Signatory’s member organization, or in Competitions authorized or organized by any professional league or any international- or national-level Event organization.

An Athlete or other Person subject to a period of Ineligibility longer than four (4) years may, after completing four (4) years of the period of Ineligibility, participate in local sport events in a sport other than the sport in which the Athlete or other Person committed the anti-doping rule violation, but only so long as the local sport event is not at a level that could otherwise qualify such Athlete or other Person directly or indirectly to compete in (or accumulate points toward) a national championship or International Event.

An Athlete or other Person subject to a period of Ineligibility shall remain subject to Testing.

As to sanction, well it may well be that an organiser or authority that approved or was complicit may have their status as a UCI affiliate/WADA signatory revoked.

Armstrong only need wait for fours years from start of sanction date to elapse and he can ride as many local races/fondos he likes. Unless his sanction date is reset (e.g. he breaches the code again). What date was his life sanction applied from?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Armstrong only need wait for fours years from start of sanction date to elapse and he can ride as many local races/fondos he likes.

That's not how I'm reading that.
...in a sport other than the sport in which the Athlete or other Person committed the anti-doping rule violation

That would seem to imply any cycling event, no?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Alex Simmons/RST said:
What date was his life sanction applied from?
It would appear to be from here:
August 24, 2012

USADA announced today that Lance Armstrong has chosen not to move forward with the independent arbitration process and as a result has received a lifetime period of ineligibility and disqualification of all competitive results from August 1, 1998 through the present, as the result of his anti-doping rule violations stemming from his involvement in the United States Postal Service (USPS) Cycling Team Doping Conspiracy (USPS Conspiracy).

Following the dismissal of Mr. Armstrong’s lawsuit on Monday, August 20, 2012, by the federal court in Austin, Texas, Mr. Armstrong had until midnight on Thursday, August 23, to contest the evidence against him in a full evidentiary hearing with neutral arbitrators as provided by U.S. law. However, when given the opportunity to challenge the evidence against him, and with full knowledge of the consequences, Mr. Armstrong chose not to contest the fact that he engaged in doping violations from at least August 1, 1998 and participated in a conspiracy to cover up his actions. As a result of Mr. Armstrong’s decision, USADA is required under the applicable rules, including the World Anti-Doping Code under which he is accountable, to disqualify his competitive results and suspend him from all future competition.
http://www.usada.org/lance-armstrong-receives-lifetime-ban-and-disqualification-of-competitive-results-for-doping-violations-stemming-from-his-involvement-in-the-united-states-postal-service-pro-cycling-team-doping-conspi/

Alpe73 said:
Love your honesty, dude ... it's the very heart of the matter. Pay off for you ... YOU get your own way. Genius. Another one for the proletariat over the bourgeoisie.

'Karma' ... FFS ... the echinacea of the neuvo neuros.

no happy with the answer, eh? well, whatever you reckon's a fair thing...

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
One thing not mentioned here, I think, is that because Armstrong is banned, he can't be insured during the race. This makes him a big risk to other riders, because if he is involved in a crash, the other riders are NOT covered. Liability could be in the millions.

As an example, when my bike club comes across a lone rider or two out on the road we NEVER let them join us, because that actually negates our insurance coverage UNLESS the other riders are also UCI sanctioned.

hegemon said:
One thing not mentioned here, I think, is that because Armstrong is banned, he can't be insured during the race. This makes him a big risk to other riders, because if he is involved in a crash, the other riders are NOT covered. Liability could be in the millions.

As an example, when my bike club comes across a lone rider or two out on the road we NEVER let them join us, because that actually negates our insurance coverage UNLESS the other riders are also UCI sanctioned.

Yes I'm sure Travis has his insurance premiums in mind with this latest song & dance.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Just more B.S. by USAC. IMHO....If the guy shows up and just rides what the heck can they do about it? And as a joke I've rode and raced under some crazy assumed names. Never had a problem. I have had many registration desk personnel laugh there @55 off when I signed in! So who the heck would know if he registered as ? and just showed up and rode?

Just makes no sense to me.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
thehook said:
Just more B.S. by USAC. IMHO....If the guy shows up and just rides what the heck can they do about it? And as a joke I've rode and raced under some crazy assumed names. Never had a problem. I have had many registration desk personnel laugh there @55 off when I signed in! So who the heck would know if he registered as ? and just showed up and rode?

Just makes no sense to me.

Ok, now you're just doing some stupid trolling. Have you ever actually worked a race or an event? A guy trying to register under a joke name--what with the whole insurance thing--does not exactly fly. It's kind of like joking about explosives with the guys working airport security. Not really funny. Unless you enjoy cavity searches (and if that's your thing, far be it from me to judge…) And then there's the whole "you aren't Lance Armstrong" difference--if some regular guy just hops into a sanctioned ride, it's an annoyance, but nothing major. Who the **** would know if he "just showed up and rode"? Everybody. That's the problem.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Wallace said:
Ok, now you're just doing some stupid trolling. Have you ever actually worked a race or an event? A guy trying to register under a joke name--what with the whole insurance thing--does not exactly fly. It's kind of like joking about explosives with the guys working airport security. Not really funny. Unless you enjoy cavity searches (and if that's your thing, far be it from me to judge…) And then there's the whole "you aren't Lance Armstrong" difference--if some regular guy just hops into a sanctioned ride, it's an annoyance, but nothing major. Who the **** would know if he "just showed up and rode"? Everybody. That's the problem.
Bro Let's take a deep breath and relax? I have registered under many names at races. I have not had any issues at registration. I'm not into cavity search are you? I'm not trolling? And I was just giving an opinion. Is that not what these boards are for? As far as insurance at races. If you think USADA has insurance concerns at this ride due to lance. You my man are delusional. As far as any race. I would hate to break the news here. But Racing is Dangerous! WOW! Stuff happens. I guess if some guy blows a tubular and takes YOU down. You are looking for insurance cards?

My point was. If he/Lance just shows up and rides. What is USADA going to do??? Ban him from ever riding a bike? Oh no, now I get it! Let's post his picture in bike shops all over the world---Do Not Sell Tires to this Man!!!

No better yet. How about Tygart calls the FBI "Can we get Armstrong on the top 10 wanted list? He outlaw rode a Fondo!"

Let me know when/were your racing. I will be sure to bring my I.D., Drivers License, Passport, DNA sample, & Insurance card you know just in case your feelings get hurt in a crash.

Just My
$.02

Wallace said:

Particularly if he registers under a name like Alexander Vinokourov :D

That was the necessary Vino mention to make this thread legit ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
thehook said:
Bro Let's take a deep breath and relax? I have registered under many names at races. I have not had any issues at registration. I'm not into cavity search are you? I'm not trolling? And I was just giving an opinion. Is that not what these boards are for? As far as insurance at races. If you think USADA has insurance concerns at this ride due to lance. You my man are delusional. As far as any race. I would hate to break the news here. But Racing is Dangerous! WOW! Stuff happens. I guess if some guy blows a tubular and takes YOU down. You are looking for insurance cards?

My point was. If he/Lance just shows up and rides. What is USADA going to do??? Ban him from ever riding a bike? Oh no, now I get it! Let's post his picture in bike shops all over the world---Do Not Sell Tires to this Man!!!

No better yet. How about Tygart calls the FBI "Can we get Armstrong on the top 10 wanted list? He outlaw rode a Fondo!"

Let me know when/were your racing. I will be sure to bring my I.D., Drivers License, Passport, DNA sample, & Insurance card you know just in case your feelings get hurt in a crash.

Just My
$.02

Yes, people get hurt in races, and the people who get hurt and the people who hurt them all have signed waivers, have racing licenses, etc.: to race you need a license or at least you do for road racing of any serious kind, hence my accusation of trolling, because license=impossible to race under an assumed name.

What can the USADA do if Lance just shows up and rides Hincapie's Grand Fondo? Shut it down in the future by not sanctioning it. Pretty simple. Finally, you might be able to show up at a century or mass ride and ride it anonymously, but Lance can't. I suppose he could try to disguise himself, as say, Matthew McConaughey, or wear some kind of Halloween outfit, but the odds of him riding undetected are a lot smaller than the odds of you riding undetected.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Oh yeah, interviews with Cycling websites are incredible lucrative. He has done a good job of keeping it secret but with all the money coming in lately Frankie has been able to buy a big hotel like George

Super secret spy shot of Frankie's hotel in the foothills of Detroit, perfect for training camps

_70076373_yucca,az.jpg

WTF!!

I paid a lot of money for my Andreu Strategies start up kit!!

I was promised that the Armstrong Witch Hunt Industry would net me tons of cash, all from the cozy confines of my home! Dang it, I'm gonna have to keep flying commercial with the masses.

TRENDING THREADS