• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gran Premio Canal de Castilla - a new 'Monte Paschi Eroica' in Spain?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I just read an article on biciciclismo about a new project in Spain, called Gran Premio Canal de Castilla. It is being developed so that Spain will feature a race comaparable in lenght, duration and parcours to the PR, Flandres and the Eroica.

The race is supposed to be over 200km with over 90km of 'rugged terrain', paves, or 'non-tarmac' surfaces with 8 hills.

The coming year is its pilot year - right after the Vuelta Ciclista a Castilla y León - called 'edicion 0', which is basically a ciclotourism version to test the races' viability. The parcours is said to run through Palencia, Valladolid and Burgos, while most of its 'paves' consist of towpaths alongside the 'Canal de Castilla'. They are thinking about two parcourses, one from Aguilar de Campoo with the finish in Valladolid (237 kms) alternated every (even) year starting in the Valladolid and finish in Cueva de los Franceses (221,5 kms.).

There are 4 types of 'paves' in the GP Canal de Castilla distinct from the normal tarmac:

1) sand roads, the mentioned towpaths alongside the canal, without pebbles, stones 4-6m wide.
2)'carreteras blancas': connectors between towpaths and asphalt, with gradients up to 15%.
3) cobbled sections in urban areas 'decorative cobbles'
4) cobbled sections as featured in PR.

SOURCE in Spanish

galeria18150-001.jpg

sounds real interesting and i'd be real curious to see who would ride in it, vis-a-vis spaniards since flecha is the only real spanish classics rider

looking at the results, the best placed spaniard in ronde was in the fifties and in monte paschi, no spaniards were even close to that...i guess what i'm asking is would this be a spanish race dominated by foreigners?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
sounds real interesting and i'd be real curious to see who would ride in it, vis-a-vis spaniards since flecha is the only real spanish classics rider

looking at the results, the best placed spaniard in ronde was in the fifties and in monte paschi, no spaniards were even close to that...i guess what i'm asking is would this be a spanish race dominated by foreigners?

Could be that they want to increase the amount of Spanish one day classics at the highest level. Currently only Donsotia-Donostia (?), if they may even call that a 'Spanish classic' ;)

Besides they have seen the instant success of the Eroica which could suggest that:
-Spain is a little jealous
-there is a demand for these kind of races, so there is money available for funding and money to be made.
-that the type of PR/Flandres racing does not necessarily need to be something of Northern Europe.
-present Spanish youngsters with different types of races, and encourage them long term to develop themselves into classics racers of the Northern type.

or any combination of the above.

Just guessing though

I think 237 km is too long for what would be a semiclassic. With that length and those roads, it's going to be entirely too tough, especially considering the Spanish peloton is not used to this kind of stuff (also it would prevent the sort-of-amateur/continental teams from being competitive).

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I think 237 km is too long for what would be a semiclassic. With that length and those roads, it's going to be entirely too tough, especially considering the Spanish peloton is not used to this kind of stuff (also it would prevent the sort-of-amateur/continental teams from being competitive).

there are granfondo's of 300 km :rolleyes:

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:

The route is very flat, i see more problems in find the money to do it, because the recesion is so hard in Spain.

Bala Verde said:
Could be that they want to increase the amount of Spanish one day classics at the highest level. Currently only Donsotia-Donostia (?), if they may even call that a 'Spanish classic' ;)

Besides they have seen the instant success of the Eroica which could suggest that:
-Spain is a little jealous
-there is a demand for these kind of races, so there is money available for funding and money to be made.
-that the type of PR/Flandres racing does not necessarily need to be something of Northern Europe.
-present Spanish youngsters with different types of races, and encourage them long term to develop themselves into classics racers of the Northern type.

or any combination of the above.

Just guessing though

-A bunch of enthusiastic Spanish fans had this idea but can't find the money to see it through.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
Did you catch the mention of this GP Canal de Castilla thing during the Canal Vasco broadcast of the Tour of the Basque Country? I felt special for knowing what they were talking about.

No, what a pity! When was that?

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Have to say that only sector 2 looks like a major challenge; the rest are no different to the roads you often see them ride over in Italian races. I like the final sector though, a sharp turn and a steep incline, I see that it's right near the finish too, so that should be good.

You are right, just PA1 is a bit selective, our cobbles are just simbolic, the strongest thing of our proposal are "sirgas"(towpaths, more than 76 Km), strade bianche (white gravel paths, more than 6 Km) and hills (9 in total).

TRENDING THREADS