• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grand Prix de Denain 2022 (March 17)

Time for Little Roubaix. This race has consistently up in a cat-and-mouse between the attackers and a peloton that's usually been whittled down to about 30 riders since the return to the cobbles in 2018. We've had one edition where Dehaes won with a late attack, one edition where Van der Poel hung on after a long solo, and last year it came back together for a sprint won by Philipsen. This time, the biggest names are the GC riders, but unlike in Milano-Torino there's good reason as Roglic, Vingegaard and Martinez are all testing themselves for the cobbles at the Tour. In any case, this could well be the most entertaining race of the week.

Startlist
liste_definitive_partants_gpdenain_2022.jpg

The route
parcours_2022_image-1536x1086-1.jpg

GP_Denain_2022_Profil_3D-1024x674-1.jpg

The same as last year with two separate flat circuits, then two laps of the cobbled circuit. An overview:
  • Haspres - Thiant (1700 m, ****): last seen in Paris-Roubaix in the 2004, was a four-star sector then (h/t to LeGruppetto)
  • Monchaux-sur-Écaillon - Maing (1600 m, ***): currently used in Paris-Roubaix, three-star sector there
  • Maing - Quérénaing (2500 m, *** **): currently used in Paris-Roubaix, three-star sector there
  • Quérénaing - Verchain-Maugré (1600 m, ***): last used in Paris-Roubaix in 2019 and will return there this year, three-star sector there
  • Verchain-Maugré - Saulzoir (1200 m, **): last used in Paris-Roubaix in 2019 and will return there this year, two-star sector there
  • Avesnes-le-Sec - Hordain (1800 m, ****): never been used in Paris-Roubaix except the U23 version. The whole sector is 2600 metres, sadly they skip the final 800 metres (unlike in 2019).
The finish line isn't in the same place anymore, but this is still as good opportunity as any to bring up this crazy sprint by Dan McLay in 2016 again.

Reactions: Red Rick
no idea what to expect from Martinez, Roglic or Vingegaard but I hope they get through in one piece.

Capiot FTW

Roglic does this Denain race two days before he does San Remo. And San Remo is 300kms, so you have to be fresh there. Primoz, this year, wants to attack with Pogi and Wout on the Cipressa. I don‘t know if today‘s 200kms in Denain will help on Saturday…

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Roglic does this Denain race two days before he does San Remo. And San Remo is 300kms, so you have to be fresh there. Primoz, this year, wants to attack with Pogi and Wout on the Cipressa. I don‘t know if today‘s 200kms in Denain will help on Saturday…
I very much doubt this.

I think MSR two days later might be a slight issue if his body is sore but it's probably a good way two assess how his body handles the cobbles. In the Tour they have no rest day and Pdbf two days later...

TRENDING THREADS