• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grand Prix de Denain 2022 (March 17)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Did Vinegaard finish with main group?

Sheffield seems like he is potential classics guy with some upward ability in other races.

No, Vingegaard punctured close to the sector where Ineos put down the gauntlet and he never quite made it back. Stupidly, Van Dijke gave him his wheel... At least it was stupid if they wanted to win this race but that was probably not their main concern.

Reactions: Sandisfan
There's just way too many races that end in a reduced bunch sprints with C and D tier sprinters. There's just way too many of them in Belgium and especially France. Atleast in Belgium there's sometimes some A and B tier sprinters participating in them.
I mean, Walscheid is pretty good on flat cobbles, just look at the last edition of Paris-Roubaix. But yeah, with him having absurdly high wattages but being really not aero because of his size I think he'd be better as a leadout man than as a sprinter...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Congratulations to Max Walscheid for taking the win.

I enjoyed the race. It's likely as good as it gets. Regarding Rogla and "Paris–Roubaix". Especially considering how well he performed. Small ramp at the finish would have made all the difference. But OK sprinters should win occasionally too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carols
I enjoyed the race. It's likely as good as it gets. Regarding Rogla and "Paris–Roubaix". Especially considering how well he performed. Small ramp at the finish would have made all the difference. But OK sprinters should win occasionally too.

I think Roglic would have been able to perform a final attack from the breakaway, a winning move. With MSR in mind, he, however, apparently did not try.

Congrats to Walscheid, who certainly will get his contract renewed by Cofidis, after this win in Denain.

I think Roglic would have been able to perform a final attack from the breakaway, a winning move. With MSR in mind, he, however, apparently did not try.

Congrats to Walscheid, who certainly will get his contract renewed by Cofidis, after this win in Denain.

It did look like he felt it was job well done with all the boxes ticked and he did not see the need to burn any matches ahead of bigger races trying to go solo against a charging peloton.

That's how I saw it, too. I'm surprised a bit that he even went on the attack but I guess the Ineos riders weren't as strong as he thought.

It was a surprisingly entertaining race -- at one point I thought the attack would stick, just needed about 15 more seconds once the gap went to 30 seconds...

It was a surprisingly entertaining race -- at one point I thought the attack would stick, just needed about 15 more seconds once the gap went to 30 seconds...

Exactly… I, personally, thought this breakaway would not be caught, with Roglic and three Ineos riders. In the peloton, „only“ Intermarche and Groupama chased, so two of the weaker WT teams.

Then, in the sprint, I thought Walscheid would be too tired, after placing second in Nokere the day before.

In the end, a nice win for Cofidis. Their new signings Coquard and Walscheid already won races within the first three months of 2022, which is nice for this team, and a nice reward for Cofidis as a sponsor, who are so patient with the team - a team rather used to setbacks than to victories…

TRENDING THREADS