• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grand Prix de Wallonie 2013 (18 September) (1.1)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Christian said:
Respect, D&C! Granted it's not completely out of left field but certainly not what I would have gone with!

I am impressed by Bakelants, on Sunday he was racing in Montréal, probably flew back Monday, Tuesday rest and Wednesday winning a 1.1 race. Dedication!

And another middle finger to Becca :D First rule of cycling, in order to win races, you must race races :D

its my lucky day, but really Bakelants is such a consistent performer (and I like him) that he was the default pick.

And Becca is just a clown. Cycling is lucky to get rid of him.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
screaming fist said:
Don't the people at RSLT feel ashamed a bit? First their rider has to go with his national team because they won't send a team. But when he wins they still place a big story on their website.

They have no reason to feel ashamed, their rider won so they should report on it. And it's not that they wouldn't send a team, Becca is limiting their funds. So for the rest of the year they can only participate in world tour races. I'm sure they would be more then willing to send a team if they were able to.

Anyways, great win for Bakelants, he's been super impressive this year. Will probably be working for Phil, but he could be one to watch at worlds if the Belgium team puts him in a break so they don't have to chase, or give him a free-er role, or something.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
screaming fist said:
Don't the people at RSLT feel ashamed a bit? First their rider has to go with his national team because they won't send a team. But when he wins they still place a big story on their website.

I think shame went out the window a long time ago at that team. Plus I wonder, is the team maybe trying to shame Becca? I'm sure everyone there (riders, staff, DS, sponsors...) would love to race but one man makes it impossible. So I'm sure everyone there except for Becca is happy for Bakelants and that's maybe why they put it on the website.

The funniest part is that RSLT press officer Tim Vanderjeugd told the media it was a question of money. Becca then later had his speaker Carlo Rock deny this and say it was because at this point in the season, the riders didn't have the necessary form anymore. The team gave the answer on the road:

3 stage wins + overall at Vuelta + Wallonie beg to differ :D

TRENDING THREADS