Grand Tours 2010: Stage of the year.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What was the best Grand Tour stage of 2010?

  • Vuelta a España Stage 20- San Martín de Valdeiglesias to Bola del Mundo, 172.1 km

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Libertine Seguros said:
Mortirolo = Montalcino
---
---
---
---
Zoncolán
Bola del Mundo
Col de la Madeleine
---
Valdepenas de Jaén
Monte Grappa
Xorret del Catí
Andorra
Arenberg
---
the Giro stage where Evans started punching people
L'Aquila
---
everything else
---
Pau
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
--
---
---
---
---
---
every flat stage of the Tour.
You didnt rate the Mortirolo stage? People being dropped all over the horrible climb, then individualy doing the descent, some catching others, gc contenders gaining then losing minutes, before the finale?

You thought Valdepenas de Jaén Monte Grappa Xorret del Catí Andorra Arenberg were better than this?
 
The Hitch said:
EDIT: YOU CAN VOTE MORE THAN ONCE. Dont just vote for Strade Bianchi. You can do that in the final. Right here is a semi final and more than 1 stage needs to go through.
_______________________________________________

I intend to do one of these for stage races and one of these for one day races. One day races will have to wait till after Lombardy. This is a semi final so to speak. the top 4 from this list will go through to the grand final of "Greatest day race of 2010".

...
Great poll! My memory's a bit visual rather than textual so I rather struggled with this. Ahead of the final round could I be so bold as to ask for a brief "reminder" sentence that will help me remember which stage is being referred to. If someone said, for example, strade bianchi or posted that pic of Evans and Vino all earthy, I'd know what they meant instantly. Thanks in advance. :p
 
L'arriviste said:
Great poll! My memory's a bit visual rather than textual so I rather struggled with this. Ahead of the final round could I be so bold as to ask for a brief "reminder" sentence that will help me remember which stage is being referred to. If someone said, for example, strade bianchi or posted that pic of Evans and Vino all earthy, I'd know what they meant instantly. Thanks in advance. :p
OK could take a while though.
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
1
0
The best stage is not on your list ;)

Stage 11 of the giro was epic...

so i had to choose the 2nd best: Stage 7 of the giro.
 
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
The best stage is not on your list ;)

Stage 11 of the giro was epic...
Its listed at the bottom as a write in, though i have argued that the stage itself was not exciting. One big breakaway 10km ahead of the peloton for the whole stage. Tv wise it offered nothing though maybe that just because British eurosport guys are dull.
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
1
0
Oh i enjoyed it. The rain, the last small climb, Gerdemann having a chance. The time gap (would it close, would Arroyo win the giro etc.). It was spectacular, because surprising...
 
Sep 18, 2010
79
0
0
I'm going for the theatrical value! :D

Tour de France, the stage when Contador and Schleck were climbing, Contador tries a little attack, Andy follows and then gives him the long stare "you think you can drop me?!". :D
 
marioni said:
I'm going for the theatrical value! :D

Tour de France, the stage when Contador and Schleck were climbing, Contador tries a little attack, Andy follows and then gives him the long stare "you think you can drop me?!". :D
You mean the Madeline or the Tourmalet? For obvious reasons (hugely disapointing) the Tourmalet didnt make the final cut. the madeline is listed up there as stage 9 - The al andy astana caisse and cassar show.

And i see we have a new temporary "editor in chief":rolleyes:
 
Jul 16, 2010
423
0
0
The Tourmalet was a snoozefest. OTOH, the Zoncolan was great fun. The 20th stage of Vuelta was also pretty exciting.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,645
2
0
KBK (not really relevant to the GT conversation, but totally deserves a mention.) and Montalcino are the best two days of racing I have witnessed this year.
 
Apr 26, 2010
325
0
0
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
KBK (not really relevant to the GT conversation, but totally deserves a mention.) and Montalcino are the best two days of racing I have witnessed this year.
KBK was maybe the best race this year!
But I voted Zoncolan and Bola del Mundo. Montalcino was spectacular, but Zoncolan was simply terrifying, and the suffering of Nibali on the Bola del mundo was just....so painful!
 
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
KBK (not really relevant to the GT conversation, but totally deserves a mention.) and Montalcino are the best two days of racing I have witnessed this year.
As i say in the OP (for those few who read it ;) ) there will be a stage race poll and a 1 dayer poll.

I didnt watch KBK, but since you say it was great, i will include it in the 1 dayer poll (though this has to wait till after worlds and Lombardy) and if it gets enough votes, it can go through to the grand final.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY